Survivor, Pearl Island

So, who caught the show last night? Interesting twist on an otherwise good show. That Rupert, aka Blackbeard, is a hoot! Pirate indeed. I am looking forward to more antics in the future. Hard to believe that 3 men got naked right off the bat on last night's episode; still didn't win them the immunity idol.

Who else is a survivor junkie like me? Any early on favorites? I like the interaction with team Drake so far, but it is too early to tell.

Comments

• 177 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I am a Survivor junkie as well, I purposely did not take Thurs night classes because of it. I've been looking forward to last night for months. I must say, there are some hot guys in both tribes this time around! I was lovin' Andrew in the Armani suit! No favorites yet but I already picked who I don't like, although that can always change. I just hope someone who deserves it wins this time around, the past few have been dissappointing.
  • I'm a junkie, too. I cheered when Rupert pillaged the Morgan tribe's loot. My last name is Morgan, and my husband has always said he was descended from Morgan the pirate. I'm leaning toward Drake team, they show lots of team spirit and seem to be on the right track. I hope it keeps up the pace this season.
  • I MISSED IT!!! Isabel decided to take out our lights at 7:30 and the electric company didn't get them back on until 9:30!! I know that's mild to what others are experiencing and I consider myself very lucky. Will they show it again? I think they did that before.

• You know, maybe they will due to the hurricane. Call or e-mail the TV station. I bet if enough people do that they'll show it again.
  • It's sad, but I also worried that I would miss it due to a power outage, thankfully we didn't get hit as hard as they thought!

I still think it's funny that the 'teen mentor' talked about stealing, cheating and lying to win...Rupert is hysterical!
  • We have watched all the Survivor shows and I really enjoyed last night. I thought it was just the right new twist to dump them off with just the clothes on their back. It should be fun to watch.

• Okay, what is all this about? I see all the hype and don't see the point of the whole thing. While grocery shopping on the way home last night, I picked up a pizza and a six-pack and the cashier said, "Must be watching Survivor tonight!" She said it's traditional to eat pizza while watching this show??? x:-/ Are Survivor addicts part of some counterculture? Is there a secret handshake? x;-)
  • I was very anti-Survivor during the first one, I thought the whole premise was absurd. But my then-boyfriend made me watch the second one and I was HOOKED! I can't explain it, but I just love it.
  • Well, I didn't have a six pack and a pizza last night, so if there is some counterculture, I'm not aware of it!

This is the only reality show I watch. I tried the Bachelor once, but couldn't stand it. For some reason, seeing people thrown into precarious situations, made to eat various nasty things, or starved to death and otherwise fun interactions with a group of people thrown together is quite a delight to watch.

Check it out, you will be hooked!
  • I watched the first Survivor (The one where Robert Hatch won) and totally fell into the whole thing. After the second one though, I quit watching.

So what does my DH do? He puts it on last night and I'm hooked again!! This is the only reality show that I watch, and my dad keeps telling me it will rot my brain out. (This coming from a Benny Hill fan? Very funny.)

Can't wait till next week.
  • I saw it too. I loved Rupert, aka Blackbeard. That "scoutmaster" is a piece of work! I hope she's voted off soon.
  • I have loved the Survivor series since the beginning. I wasn't as keen to watch the show last night as I would have been if in the teasers they hadn't announced the twist. That being said, my goodness there are some hunky men on the show this time. Andrew definitely does it for me!
  • Liked the first one, but thought they dropped off after that and only sporadically watched. Last night I did catch it and enjoyed the opener. I agree that Rupert is a hoot. I was surprised at the vote, especially after the one guy was singled out as not pulling his share of the load. It looks to me like he and the scoutmaster would be off next, but who knows? This game is a twisty bit and looks like may be fun to watch again.
  • Wouldn't have missed it for the world! I never watched the first series, but got into it big time with the second one. Now, I'm bereft on Thursday evenings in the off-season! I start work at 4:00 am on Fridays, so usually I'm in bed by 8:00 on Thursday night - the extra 30 minutes past my bedtime last night was definitely worth it!

So far, it's way to early for me to have a fave, although I've got to admit that Rupert is a stitch! I thought the guy with the Armani suit was a little too tedious - how many times did he point out that the suit was Armani? I'm also a little skeptical about the cub scout lady, but at least she managed to differentiate herself from the bimbos (can I say that on the Forum?) Tijuana seems like a take-charge type, and certainly capitalized on her knowledge of the native language.

• I caught it too! We've never missed an episode of Survivor, from the first season. We also schedule our nights around reality shows.

I loved Rupert, but the previews showed him a little off-center. We'll see how long he lasts before he freaks everybody else out. I'm going with the Scout Master to last quite awhile actually. Things usually turn around so many times.

Reality shows are the only things we watch at our house. At least it's strategy and dealing with people, rather than 1/2 hour about sex, like most sit-coms these days.

By the way, any Big Brother fans out there, I'm applying for Big Brother 5. I'll wear my HR T-shirt in the house if they take me. Let's all apply and have a houseful of HR folks. x:-)
  • I have admitted previously to my addiction to big brother. .I have seen a couple of survivors but limit myself and like big brother better. . .til this show. Don't like either of the finalists. .I was a big Jack fan. I am afraid Allison will win. .she played well, but what a brat. .

I fantasize about applying, but have you noticed the chronologically gifted don't last long? Be sure to let us know if you get on!
  • "Chronologicallly gifted" - I love it! xclap I'm going to start using that instead of "mature"!
  • Thanks for defining "chronologically gifted", I wasn't sure there for a minute! Yes, I am older than those young punks on the show, and I'm not sure America would want to see me in a bikini, (why all of the naked competitions?), but I want to give it a shot and see if I can even get a second interview. I love the show and think it would be a huge treat to give it a shot.

I also can't stand the two finalists; of course, usually the dirty players last the longest. Watch them vote for Alison because she "played the most strategic". Remember, they aren't privy to the diary room confessions like we are. She proved she is a real piece of work.

I wish Jack would have won . . . I thought he was great, maybe it was the age thing.
  • I have watched every minute of every episode of every Survivor season... sometimes twice. You could say I am a fan. Some years we would have 10-12 guests over every Thursday for "Survivor Nite" culminating with a BBQ and 3 hour finale. We even have buffs.

I haven't liked any of the winners since Ethan although I respect the way Brian played the game.

Im concerned that the show has definitely move towards "young and beautiful" contestants rather than a more diverse mix. I think the generational differences have been the most fascinating part to watch.

I love seeing how alliances are formed - especially the unlikely ones. I think its amazing to watch personalities assert themselves. Even a million dollar prize for good behavior isn't compelling enough to make people get along.

The three guys who stripped were idiots. It made no sense whatsoever. I hope Survivor doesn't degenerate into Temptation Island.

Currently, I am debating sending in an application. My only concern is taking my shirt off on national tv and my total lack of any survival skills.

Paul
  • >Currently, I am debating sending in an application. My only concern is
    >taking my shirt off on national tv and my total lack of any survival
    >skills.
    >
    >Paul

You'll be in! Apparently noone there that has survival skills, actually 'survives'. Did you ever notice that? Was it last season, the navy (or was it marine?) asian guy who was voted out pretty much right away...was it Dan something?

Guaranteed the 'scout master' woman won't make it long. Can't wait for Thursday's installment.

I agree about Ethan, he was cool. Brian was a snake but he played it just like a salesman...those idiots he was playing with fell for everything hook line and sinker. If they had just rallyed together, they could have overthrown Brian. I could see that he would win no matter what, but that's the game and he played it well. Colby, well he just thinks that he handed the win to Tina, but Tina was more in control is what I think.

• OMG! Last nights episode was hilarious. I love the new twist of pirating one item from the other tribe when you win the challenge. She shouldn't have told them that they had more stuff, that was poor planning. If I was the Drake tribe, I'd hide a few of the most valuable things (the spear, etc.) by burying them before each challenge. This way, if they lose, they won't have that item stolen.

This is turning out to be a really good survivor so far. Don't you just feel sorry for Osten? Oh poor him, my body is failing me...blah blah. What's failing him is his mind, he obviously is hating being on the losing team.
  • this IS a great survivor so far, perhaps my favorite (though the first was great just for it's originality factor alone). I agree, the pirating is a great twist. I am becoming a Drake fan, they just get along with each other and cooperate and DONT WHINE. Plus, they were smart when they went through the town trading for stuff.. I wish Andrew was on that team, he'd last longer.
  • I'm with you, I don't want to see Andrew leave any time soon x:9
  • Anyone else notice that Rupert the pirate looks a lot like Hagrid from the Harry Potter movies?

I hope Rupie wins, he's the most entertaining of the bunch- +floral skirt, what's not to love?

Nrdgrrl
  • Yes! My daughters said that already last week! Hagrid!
  • I was really sorry to see them vote off Skinny Ryan instead of Whiny Osten. They made a very common HR hiring mistake and chose skill and strength over heart and attitude. Let's see if it costs them.

Did anyone else notice the amount of underwear shown in this episode? I know that they are trying to be realistic but I dont need to see these people's dirty drawers.

I think Rupert is already signing a book deal for his autiobiography" Rupert: A man and his spear!"

The lady who stole the tarp was awesome! The tribe should have tried harder to get her to take something else. They will miss that tarp every night.

Paul in CB
  • That lady was also largely responsible for their very successful shopping spree in the town. That was the most important part of challenge, and the other tribe could only run around, out of control, and then too quickly leave for their island. Makes you wonder what the producers were doing when only one person with the language skills was present. Sure is a huge advantage that only one team could have.

Then their disastrous night next to the shale with all the crabs was a snapshot of how they are handling their adventure. I like Andrew, but as a leader? This tribe is in trouble, and just like any organization, the leadership is where you look first when things aren't working out.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-27-03 AT 04:08PM (CST)[/font][p]Morgan Tribe was pretty whiny when Sandra decided on the tarp. First they say, you have to get it yourself, can't use our tools, then they whine when she has to take apart the shelter to get it. They would have been much better off helping her and doing the least amount of damage to their shelter. They knew they would lose the tarp, it is the only thing of value. Besides, I thought Sandra was pretty fair and didn't intentionally try to destroy the shelter. She could have done a lot worse.

Between Osten and Ryan S, that was a hard decision. Osten wants to go (or says he does) but Ryan hasn't performed well in either challenge. Was what he was doing called swimming? I think Osten has more potential to disrupt the group with attitude than Ryan did with lack of ability.
  • Yeah, Skinny Ryan's "swimming" was painful to watch especially when he knew he needed to come up big or risk being voted off. BUT if you noticed, Osten didn't even go in the water.

Andrew is a good example of our tendency to project positive feelings towards attractive people. He is a very handsome guy but his leadership skills are lacking. He started picking on Ryan from the very beginning. As a leader, he should have worked to unite the team.

At tribal council, Andrew promised that the tribe would get their act together "starting tomorrow!" Too late, bub. You got no tribe left.

paul in CB
  • They set Ryan up to fail, that is a sure sign of poor leadership. Just because Osten appears to be stronger, they keep him. But no amount of strength is going to help them if his mind isn't into it. Half of this is all in the editing though. I remember the last survivor (or was it the one before) when the other team lost most of the challenges but then they switched teams and stirred things all up. I just can't wait for this week, the teasers are pointing to the Drake team losing it and fighting with each other.