quotes to live by

Comments

• Mike,

Here are a couple that I used in a recent Title VII seminar for managers. The author of both of these quotes is also shown below.
    “No Good Deed Goes Unpunished.”

“Because I am a woman, I must make unusual efforts to succeed. If I fail, no one will say, ‘She doesn’t have what it takes.’ They will say, ‘Women don’t have what it takes.’ ”

Clare Boothe Luce (1903-1987) She was the editor of Vanity Fair, an award-winning playwright, a prolific author, a foreign and domestic journalist, a Congresswoman from Connecticut, the American Ambassador to Italy, and was thought by many to have been the most influential woman in modern American history.

Keep up the good work.

Chip

• This doesn't fit with a "life's quote" but its a quote and it fits the season. This was a quote that one of our workers pulls out during Christmas and I believe it was Jay Leno who said it. (Forgive me those who work in Washington)

"The Supreme Court has ruled that they cannot have a nativity scene in Washington, D.C. This wasn't for any religious reasons. They couldn't find three wise men and a virgin." =P~

Have a good Holiday!!

• I always heard that was the University of Alabama! Washington too, huh?
  • A former colleague of mine who passed away unexpectedly last year authored this quote that I often think of: You can't control the things you can't control or you'll lose control.
  • "Disturb us, O Lord, when we are too comfortable" Sir Francis Drake
  • I like that. One of my favorites has always been one used by reporters for years: A good reporter should strive to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.
  • My motto has always been:

You have two ears and one mouth. Make sure that you use them proportionately.

• Speaking of 'proportionately', "How cold the X-Ray table is is directly proportional to the amount of time you have to be on it."
  • Wow! What great quotes! Many I already know, some I copied to help me out. Here are a few of my favorites:

There is never a day so bad that tomorrow couldn't be worse.

The probablility of being observed is in direct proportion to the stupidity of your actions.

If you give a bald man a comb, he will never part with it.

Zanne

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 12-06-02 AT 03:10PM (CST)[/font][p]OK Christy, I think you need to put this all together and "we" will have our first publication. .really some great ones.

The truth is usually somewhere in the middle.

And who was it that told you that life was fair? (to whining employees)

and from TQM land . .manage by facts and go to the source, involve your employees and always strive to improve.

• Ok here are a couple more favorites:

"Courage is not the lack of fear but the ability to do the right thing in spite of fear."

"A ship is safe in a harbor but that is now what it is made for." Helen Kellor

"Its a hard world for the little things." Nicholas Cage in "Raising Arizona"

If you really want to overload on these, go to: [url]http://www.oneliners-and-proverbs.com[/url]

Paul
  • Here are my two favorites on courage:

Courage is that small voice that says, "I'll try again tomorrow."

and

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.

Thank you, Mike Maslanka, for such a thought provoking question!

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 12-06-02 AT 03:51PM (CST)[/font][p]"You don't build a business. You build people and people build a business." (Zig Zigler) and
    "The nearest way to glory - a shortcut as it were - is to strive to be what you wish to be thought to be."(Socrates)

Both of these are posted in my office and others repeat them to me often.
  • Great, great quotes. I will be copying quite a few.

Here are three of my favorites -

"Count the cost, pay the price, reap the reward."

"Your attitude, not your aptitude, determines your altitude."

"Integrity is more easily maintained than regained." - excellent mantra for HR

Barbara

• My dad always said "Don't get in a p*ssin contest with a skunk". It has helped me keep my mouth shut more than once when I really wanted to say something back to someone.

From an old solder, "do you really want to die for that hill" (do you want to work so hard for something insignificant).

Rob S.
  • On the wall of the business school I went to:

" Management is getting people to do what they should be doing anyway."

Chari
  • With all its sham, drugery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy.

"The Desiderata" hangs in my office and is read frequently!

Anne
  • >Anyone have a saying or quote that helps sum up how you do your jobs?
    >Something that is a bedrock you can go to again and again? Soemthing
    >that your colleague down the hall quotes back to you(don't you just
    >hate that)? Here is one Theresa Gegen---my co-editor--- and I
    >have:"when in doubt,resort to the truth." How about you? Inquiring
    >minds want to know.Regards from Texas,Mike Maslanka

In my many years as Manager and mentor to new supervisors and mangers, I have used the following that I heard somewhere, from a wise someone, years ago.

"You have two ears and one mouth, use them in proportion".

• Mike,
    Here are some of my favorite quotes that hang in my office.

Worry is the act of using your imagination to create something you do not want.
    Abraham/Hicks

There is no such thing in anyone's life as an unimportant day.
    Alexander Woolcott

Act as if what you do makes a differnce. It does.
    William James

Resolved, never to do anything which I should be afraid to do if it were the last hour of my life.
    Jonathan Edwards

And a great one for HR and life in general:

Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong. Sometime in life you will have been all of these.

• And then there are those days when........."It is hard to remember that your original mission was to drain the swamp when you are up to your a** in alligators", and

It's not my job to drive the train
    or even ring the bell,
    but let the damn thing jump the track
    and see who catches hell.
  • I'M NOT SURE WHERE THIS CAME FROM, BUT I HAVE IT ON A POSTER, AND REFER TO IT OFTEN:

There are three kinds of people in this world:
    - Those who make things happen
    - Those who watch things happen
    - Those who wonder what happened

Which one are you?

• My screen saver....

He was a bold man who first ate an oyster. Jonathan Swift
  • Actually, I was wrong, I believe Ted Turner said "Lead, follow or get out of the way".
  • Actually, it was Ted Turner who said, "Yes, I'll admit it. I married Hanoi Jane last night on a drunken dare!" Ted has another famous quote, "Let's see how long it will take me to screw up a really good baseball team and news network."
  • "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." (John Lennon)

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice." (Rush)

"Don't p*ss on my boots and tell me it's raining." (former Tenn. Gov. Ned Ray McWherter)

James Sokolowski
    Senior Editor
    M. Lee Smith Publishers
  • To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world

Here is a good one that I saw on an old rerun of SNL. I wrote it down to post here!

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, 'It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than to be selfish and worry about my liver.'
    --Jack Handey

And since I am on the subject here is one that an old college roomate used to always say:

Starkle, starkle little twink, who da hell you are i think. I'm not as drunk as some thinkle peep I am. Besides I've only had tee martoonies and all day sober to Sunday up in. I fool so feelish, i don't know whos me yet, but the drunker I sit here, the longer I get.
  • How 'bout: "Let's walk the cat backwards" meaning start from the beginning.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 12-12-02 AT 09:19AM (CST)[/font][p]Here's one to remember when training employees.

"Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember;
    involve me and I'll understand."

- Chinese Proverb
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 12-11-02 AT 04:31PM (CST)[/font][p]i love quotes. in fact, i collect them (as well as song lyrics and poems i like) and write them down in books i make by hand. here is a couple i really like:

worry is not preparation
    --cherie huber

zoos are full, prisons are overflowing... ah my how the world still dearly loves a cage.
    --ruth gordon (from the movie harold and maude)

for a long time it had seemed to me that life was about to begin - real life. but there was always some obstacle in the way, something to be got through first, some unfinished business, time still to be served, a debt to be paid. then life would begin. at last it dawned on me that these obstacles were my life.
    --Fr. Alred d'Souza in Handbook for the Soul

be the change you want to see in the world.
    --gandhi

if the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
    --abraham maslow

my life will always have dirty dishes
    if this sink can become
    a place of contemplation,
    let me learn constancy here.
    --gunilla norris

i believe in the sun even if it isn't shining.
    i believe in love even when i am alone.
    i believe in god even when he is silent.
    --world war II refugee

it's completely usual for me to get up in the morning, take a look around, and laugh out loud.
    --barbara kingsolver (in high tide in tucson)

life is not a possession.
    --rachel naomi remen, md

books saved my life.
    --simone de beauvoir

there are two types of people in this world. those who like neil diamond, and those who don't. my ex-wife loved him.
    --bill murray (as bob wiley in 'what about bob?')

even an ice cream parlor - a definite advantage - does not alleviate the sorrow i feel for a town lacking a bookstore.
    --natalie goldberg in thunder and lightening

we're supposed to be able to pull in our belts, put off our pleasures, bear our disappointments, and face our fears without a squeak of pain or protest. hemmingway called that kind of behavior 'grace under pressure'. i happen to call it mildly psychotic.
    --barbara sher

okay I will stop now x:D

Cinderella