Summer Vacation Contest

Comments

• I thought two hours of pushin' broom buys an eight by twelve four-bit room?
  • And, it just gets deeper and deeper and deeper! ;)
  • [quote=ACU Frank;716993]Linda sure gets a lot of vacation time.[/quote]

Well when you are the one tracking time off...

Most of those were 'turn around' trips. Plus I talked our CEO into giving us a floater for the 4th of July holiday we didn't get. :mad:
  • Back in March hubby and I spent a week in Negril, Jamaica (awesome) and next month we are going to Ontario Canda so he can spend time fishing (I don't fish - just read my books).
  • Frank. . when are you coming this way? If someone can tell me how to private message on this new forum or you know, get with me. .If you are going to do the tourist deal, might be able to get you some passes.
  • Thanks Sonny! I sent you a private message through the system - let me know if you got it.
  • Got it and responded. You guys are bringing back many memories with Lake Lure, Savannah, Biltmore etc. As for me, no plans. . .other than seeing if Frank will spring for a beer. .
  • Does Frank even carry a wallet? That is a puzzler...where does he put it?
  • Mr. Cannon Beach, when is this 'contest' over and when will you take the vote and announce the winner? (Wait, that is not PC, maybe you could just say, "the award goes to" like at The Oscars?)

I need someone new to resent!
  • I'm still waiting for someone to describe a vacation that blows me away. I am the Simon Cowell of Vacation contest judges.

I love all of you dearly but watching husbands fish, visiting Frank, and riding a tricycle aimlessly don't excite me.
  • Harsh!!

Got to make this longer, but I think the one word made my point :p
  • The most vacation I've gotten to take so far was a few days I took in June. I spent most of the time wandering around our downtown area playing tourist: shopping where the tourists shop, visiting the historical museum, and hanging out with the real tourists. Not so exciting, you say? Tell that to the 500,000 people pay good money to ride on big cruise ships and come up here to Alaska and do exactly what I was doing!
  • [quote=Paul in Cannon Beach;717018]
    I love all of you dearly but watching husbands fish, visiting Frank, and riding a tricycle aimlessly don't excite me.[/quote]

Paul, I ride on the trike behind my husband. Think about it for a bit and you might change your mind about it not being exciting.O:)
  • I cant believe you posted that Joannie. I dont even understand it.
  • A trip with your spouse sounds like a great vacation. Spending time with the one you love is always a guaranteed good time. Can't think of a better or more 'exciting' time a person could have.
  • In April my husband surprised me with a trip to Stehekin, Washington. I had never heard of the place. It is on Lake Chelan and only accessible by a two hour boat ride or sea plane. It is a very small resort community with cabins and the only paved road was a 14 mile loop. Only one restaurant that opened for limited lunch only as we were not in summer season. There were no TV's, phone service or WiFi. I felt totally cut off but we did hike and saw beautiful scenery. The sunsets were beautiful as we had snow capped mountains above the lake. Even had sunny weather. Was a great 4 days.
  • That sounds really great! Quiet time with your husband... you and Joannie 'win' in my book.

No phones or internet? Sounds like Heaven. I am searching for a nice warm cave to hibernate in right now, one without cell service. But your place sounds like a much better idea :D
  • I think this link will work. It has a lot of information on the area we were in.

[url]http://www.stehekinlanding.com/index.php?page_id=215[/url]
  • [quote=Paul in Cannon Beach;717022]I cant believe you posted that Joannie. I dont even understand it.[/quote]

If you don't understand it, how can you not believe i posted it? Can't have it both ways, big boy.;)
  • I was off work (FMLA) for all of March and half of April; so I used up a substantial portion of my accrued leave. (I am playing the "have pity on me" card, so the judge will have sympathy on me.) So, I am only taking a few days off here and there for mini-vacations for the rest of the summer. We did go to the coast; but not Cannon Beach. We went to Bandon for the first time. It was beautiful. We actually saw pelicans on the beach. I have been in Oregon for 28 years and had never before seen pelicans on the beach.

I will take a few days off during the next couple of weeks to roof a carport with my son. What could be better than spending time with your college-age kids who will soon be out of the house (now I am playing the emotional card).

So do I win? And, what was the prize, anyway?
  • This does not appear to be a good year for this kind of contest. Niether my trip to Calgary or my trip to Chicago measured up. Last year I went hiking in the Canadian Rockies, and I have memories of other good vacations like 2002 when we spent a week in Florida before going on a mini cruise to the Bahamas (I had my hair put in corn rows but neglected to get a picture of it). I even have a long story about our 3 week vacation in 1982 which would have made a great Chevy Chase movie. Alas, none of them qualify.

Wait! Why does Paul get to decide what qualifies and what doesn't? What is [I]his[/I] entry? I smell a rat!
  • I don't remember seeing any rules about past vacations not counting. I think maybe Paul is making up the rules as he goes along. I also think that any vacation that takes you away from the daily grind is a winner so hat's off to anyone who has gotten or will get out of Dodge for a even a wee bit of time.
  • Well, this year.....nothing except a camping trip with our 6 kids and 9 grandchildren, which by the way, is TONS of fun! Nothing beats being a grandma! If I could quit and spend my days playing with them and playing in my garden, I would be in heaven!

Two years ago we went to Romania for two weeks on a missions trip. What defines a vacation? We went to work and did lots of it, but were away from the daily grind here. Loved it! We did that 4 times and have developed great relationships half way around the world.
  • It is interesting to read how many of you take vacations that have a greater purpose than just relaxing by a pool. Ex. mission trips, visiting or helping family, time with grandkids, building carports etc.

I think everybody is a winner!
  • [quote=bethk;717039]Well, this year.....nothing except a camping trip with our 6 kids and 9 grandchildren, which by the way, is TONS of fun! Nothing beats being a grandma! If I could quit and spend my days playing with them and playing in my garden, I would be in heaven!

Two years ago we went to Romania for two weeks on a missions trip. What defines a vacation? We went to work and did lots of it, but were away from the daily grind here. Loved it! We did that 4 times and have developed great relationships half way around the world.[/quote]

I gotta agree with you about the "grandma gig", Beth. Most of the few days I've taken off so far this year have been spent at least in part with my grandkids. I have mine overnight once a week but I still love any extra time I get to spend with them. Even yesterday, when we had the almost-2-year-old for a couple of hours, took her out to dinner with us, and she spent the entire time trying to climb out of her high chair, saying "no!" and throwing things across the table, or saying "gotta pee, gotta pee, gotta pee" at the top of her lungs so I kept having to get up and run her to the bathroom (she's potty training so we don't want to discourage her from telling us when she has to go, although I think she was just using that as an excuse to get out of her high chair.)

Your mission trip sounds great, even though it doesn't exactly meet the textbook definition of "vacation". The pastors at my church have served in that part of the world and they have some fascinating stories to tell about their time there.
  • It is amazing to see how others live when they have been oppressed so long under communism. The Romanians are taking a long time to dig out of that hole; they were in deep. The first time I went there I couldn't believe how some of them live. Made me somewhat embarrassed about my lifestyle here, but also very thankful! But talk about high hopes and strong spirits! The human spirit can be amazing!

And thanks Paul.....what do we win? Do I need to send you my address so you can send my prize?
  • [quote=Paul in Cannon Beach;716915]The winner doesn't win anything except the sullen resentment of your forum peers.[/quote]

Paul was too cheap to do prizes, sorry bethk. He could have at least given away one of his HR Hero t-shirts...
  • But if we all win who will be sullen?
  • :-)

(sorry,still no emoticons)
  • First place is a 20 minute ride on Joannie's trike with her husband.

Second place is a 40 minute ride.