Summer Vacation Contest

Describe your ACTUAL summer vacation plans or the vacation you have already taken and we will vote on a winner. The winner doesn't win anything except the sullen resentment of your forum peers.

Comments

• 74 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • On MY summer vacation, I finished the brick walkway in front of our house...did I win??
  • I went to Calgary last month, and tomorrow I am leaving for Chicago for a few days. Both trips are/were for educational purposes. But they are personal educational purposes, and not my work's purposes. Does that count?
  • Nevada, you are in the running for worst vacation and Nae is leading in "most boring" category.

I really thought I was the only person who didnt take fun-filled vacations to exotic places.
  • To clarify Nae, you are leading in the most boring [U]VACATION [/U]category. :)
  • Spent a week in Las Vegas in March and in June spent 3 days in Reno and 5 days in Tahoe.
    Don't usually spend that much time in Nevada, but this year both my husband and my national bowling tournaments ended up in the same state. Will spend a few days at the coast this summer.
  • You have taken the lead plynnl with your time in Tahoe but you did lose some ground when you mentioned "bowling tournaments".
  • Hubby and I hopped on the trike in May and headed south to the Texas Hill Country. Weather was a balmy 70-80 degrees and no rain, which at that time this year was a miracle. Rode about 1000 miles and never got on a four lane highway. Was gone a week and never ate in a chain restaurant. My idea of a perfect motorcycle trip.
  • Not bad Joannie but it sounds like you were just wandering aimlessly. I have to deduct points for that. You are tied with plynnl.
  • While in Tahoe I sat in the same chair in front of a penny machine that some guy had won $694,000. a few hours before. Does that make me special?
  • I drove from Middle Tennessee to Ashville NC and spent 3 days in heaven on the mountains. Then drove to Charleston SC and spent two days at heaven on the beach (Isle of Palms). Then drove to Savannah GA and spent 2 days in shopping heaven. Then drove back home (through Atlanta and got caught up in Bonneroo traffic). All in all, it was great.
  • I am thinking of going to glorious Cannon Beach. Do I win?
  • Well, if you stop by and see me it would clearly be the all time greatest vacation anyone has ever had so you would definitely win.

As it stands, your description is too vague.

Sharon is the new leader however because she went to Savannah and I am reading "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" which makes Savannah sound like a really lovely, charming place.
  • I am driving to St. Augustine FL with my family. If all goes well, we will leave on the very first day our new foreign exchange student arrives. This will be a pretty intense introduction for her!
  • Hmm. Went to Orlando for a high school graduation (spent time with family - which is no vacation).

Went to sister's beach house in Perdido Key. Unfortunately, sister, her family and friends were there also. I got to sleep on an air mattress in the living room between two young adult couples. What a blast! Did get a good tan out on the boat though.

Going to Southern California for a non-reunion of the high school I would have gone to had my parents not forcibly moved me across the country. That will be interesting. If anyone knows about Redlands (where it will be held) then you know it is not the garden spot of the state.

Going to Lake Lure, NC (outside Asheville - Sharon, where did you go while you were there?) for yet another family gathering. Will have to sleep in my older sister's room with her since my niece always takes my room.

I'm sure there will be others...was talking last night about going back to Scotland this fall (but that isn't summer so it won't count).

Sucks to be me :angel:
  • I know Redlands - I'm about an hour from there.
    This summer, we've been to central coast for wine tasting, went to Vegas for a long weekend, camping in Pismo Beach and we're heading to Monterey this weekend.
    Although this state is broke (still without a budget), there are a lot of pretty places to visit.
    I saw on another thread the comments about HR in CA. Trust me, it's not pleasant....
  • If its any consoloation to you, your "vacations" sound like mine which mean they involve family members and non-traditional sleeping arrangements.
  • [quote=CAllen;716949]I know Redlands - I'm about an hour from there.[/quote]

Grew up in Rialto, which at the time was a small town. I've been back several times and the area has changed greatly - but isn't that always the way it goes? The mountains are gorgeous though (when you can see them for the smog). :D

The Inland Empire is not a common vacation hot spot! Had a get together last night with some high school friends and one girl now lives in Upland. I had forgotten what a California accent sounds like... Even a friend who is visiting from Utah still has her Southern 'twang'.
  • [quote=Paul in Cannon Beach;716950]If its any consoloation to you, your "vacations" sound like mine which mean they involve family members and non-traditional sleeping arrangements.[/quote]

You mean to tell me that sleeping with your sister isn't "traditional" in Oregon? Guess I have been Down South too long...

Nothing beats the vacation I took two years ago with the three nephews (aged 16, 16 and 18). The topper was my mental breakdown in a hotel next to the Frankfurt airport (where our trip home got halted due to mechanical issues with our plane - we were gonna be there 3 days with no money and my luggage had been lost by the travel company). The breakdown was also caused by teenage boys who only wanted to wander the streets of London late at night, were bored in Edinburgh, slept in Dublin and were all of legal drinking age in Frankfurt. That one should go down in vacation heck history! I'd never had the hotel concierge call and check on me before that trip...
  • I've lived in Upland by the golf course and loved it there. I had a beautiful view of the mountains until big box homes were built and blocked my view :)
    I'm in San Dimas (I still get Bill and Ted comments) but don't get out to the IE very often.
  • Past vacations are not eligible. Sorry KSR.
  • [quote=Paul in Cannon Beach;716944]Well, if you stop by and see me it would clearly be the all time greatest vacation anyone has ever had so you would definitely win.

As it stands, your description is too vague.

Sharon is the new leader however because she went to Savannah and I am reading "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" which makes Savannah sound like a really lovely, charming place.[/quote]

Savannah is beautiful. If you ever get the chance to go there be sure to tour all of the neighborhood parks. There are about twenty of them and it will take most of the morning, but is well worth the time. Also, watch for small neighborhood restaurants. Great meals.

By the way, I saw the house where the movie from that book was filmed. Beautiful area and a step back in time.

Guess I should tell you I took that vacation three years ago. This year, I'm taking days off here and there, like tomorrow to catch up n my homework.
  • [quote=KSR6450;716948]Hmm. Went to Orlando for a high school graduation (spent time with family - which is no vacation).

Went to sister's beach house in Perdido Key. Unfortunately, sister, her family and friends were there also. I got to sleep on an air mattress in the living room between two young adult couples. What a blast! Did get a good tan out on the boat though.

Going to Southern California for a non-reunion of the high school I would have gone to had my parents not forcibly moved me across the country. That will be interesting. If anyone knows about Redlands (where it will be held) then you know it is not the garden spot of the state.

Going to Lake Lure, NC (outside Asheville - Sharon, where did you go while you were there?) for yet another family gathering. Will have to sleep in my older sister's room with her since my niece always takes my room.

I'm sure there will be others...was talking last night about going back to Scotland this fall (but that isn't summer so it won't count).

Sucks to be me :angel:[/quote]
    I stayed away from the Biltmore House but saw pretty much everything else. Asheville has a very nice downtown area with lots of nightlife and really good restaurants. Also, lots of neat little shops and the coolest furniture store I've seen yet. If you're driving from Memphis, I'd take the scenic route. Takes a bit longer but you get a great view of almost all of the state.
  • I am suprised no one is taking a blow out vacation. Maybe we all just work too darn hard.
  • [quote=Paul in Cannon Beach;716972]Past vacations are not eligible. Sorry KSR.[/quote]

Then Sharon's Savannah trip doesn't count either! *Arms crossed, pursed lips, stomping of feet*

And you can call me 'Oh Great One' instead of KSR, has a better ring to it...

Who has the money for a big blow out? Not this girl!
  • [quote=Sharon McKnight SPHR;716980]I stayed away from the Biltmore House but saw pretty much everything else. Asheville has a very nice downtown area with lots of nightlife and really good restaurants. Also, lots of neat little shops and the coolest furniture store I've seen yet. If you're driving from Memphis, I'd take the scenic route. Takes a bit longer but you get a great view of almost all of the state.[/quote]

I've made that drive many a time and the 'long and winding roads' are more than my stomach can handle anymore. Now I fly! You should have gone to the Biltmore; it is interesting to see what passed as cutting edge back then and what we take for granted now.

If you get back that way you should go to Chimney Rock and Lake Lure - it is very pretty. The movie "Last of the Mohicans" was filmed there as well as parts of "Dirty Dancing" and "Firestarter".
  • [quote=Paul in Cannon Beach;716937]Not bad Joannie but it sounds like you were just wandering aimlessly. I have to deduct points for that. You are tied with plynnl.[/quote]

And just what is wrong with wandering around where the road takes you and the weather allows?
  • On an awesome trike no less!
  • Well, you would win if this was the "Best Hobo-cation Contest" but its not.
  • [quote=Paul in Cannon Beach;716989]Well, you would win if this was the "Best Hobo-cation Contest" but its not.[/quote]

You obviously haven't priced trikes or the cost of staying in motels with no advance reservations.:D Neither come cheap.
  • Linda sure gets a lot of vacation time.