What's wrong with everyone?!?!

I came back from my vacation and wondered what in the world happened to the forum. The questions, responses, ideas, and thoughts seemed so generic compared to before I left - and Don D won't talk? Unthinkable!

I read the "What's appropriate" thread on how to use the forum. For me, I rarely slam on the forum, simply because it's not my way, not in life, not in writing. But I do get slammed. It doesn't "hurt," because this is professional. I can't get hurt professionally - I may get angry, most likely indignant - but not hurt. When someone is disagreeing with me, well that's simply all that is. Isn't that the point? That we read and have available to us different points of view?

I'm not going to force my opinion down anyone's throat - that's from practice. My SO is a Republican - I'm not. We go at it regularly. Rarely will we ever be able to change an opionion - perhaps alter an opinion, but that's about all you can hope for.

The racy talk? To quote a phrase, bah, humbug. I don't know how anyone can get offended. I can tell pretty much right off the top which way a thread is going, especially in HR-d-har-har. If you don't like it, don't read it, and DON'T GO BACK THERE. (Now I'm yelling like Pork.) I get so irritated when I read someone whining how they don't like a particular thread, and do so in five separate posts!

Okay, I'm done, for the time being...throw me to the wolves.

Comments

• 71 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Well said, Leslie. xclap

I personally have tried to stay away and tone down the acerbic commentary, but I agree that the Forum does seem a little more "white bread" than usual (and I hope I don't offend Pumpernickel bread by saying that).
  • and why is it Beagle that you have been staying away? And for the record, I never found your comments to be acerbic! Some of it might be the Holidays, Leslie. . guess we will find out after the first of year!
  • I just want to make sure I don't say the wrong thing and dig myself into a hole, which I think is what happened earlier and helped precipitate the "appropriate content" post.
  • No Wolves. You can vent. Your time is 4 hours different than here - you have half a day left.

My day was hot-to-handle. It's 4:30 here and I'm going home to take it out on my husband.
  • Don't take it out on your husband, try a nice bottle of wine, a good book, walk around the block, romp in the, well, hay, you get the picture!
  • Safety,

My husband likes it when I'm feisty. When I come home from work all hyper, it makes him feel needed. He takes care of the wine, etc. Ah, yes. He's quite a guy. Why, just last year when I had a bad day, he took me to ladies night - - at Home Depot!

Sigh. No man tops his thoughtfulness.

• The pendulum swings back and forth.

I suspect we will soon be exploring the edges of the envelop again. Your comments will likely resonate with a lot of us.

I don't think of myself as too vitriolic, but I do get intense about some of the topics and perhaps I go over the top on occasion.

I like the spicy side of things and as others have suggested, if the personality of this site gets to PC, I will find other outlets. Right now I am riding it out to see what happens. The forumites are so insightful and sometimes inciteful that I going to stick with it for a while. The education available on this site is an awesome thing - let's make sure it stays that way.
  • Hi Leslie - I've made a decision to stay away from the opinion stuff after reading James' post. The good news is that I've helped about 3 people today with some information - the bad news, only for me, is that it does take away from some of my fun with the zesty comments. I'm thinking I'm a big culprit to some of the posts going down a certain path, so I'm going to back off. I love your post though x:-)
  • mwild,

I personally think you are being too hard on yourself. It is kind of funny how many of us are self-identifying as the culprits. Your comment about zest is ironic, cause I think the zest is one of the things that has made this forum so addictive. I occasionally post on some other sites, but they are dry as Wheaties without milk compared to the forum.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 12-18-03 AT 07:21PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Wow Leslie, I missed this thread earlier today. Beagle, for once you didn't offend me since I really don't care for Pumpernickle bread. And Leslie, since this is a more serious topic, I will refrain from commenting on your political inclinations. x;-)

It's interesting, so far all us posters to this thread are "regulars" who have interacted with each other many times. We have had some good times together. And, we are admitting that maybe we are part of the reason for the "crackdown". I have to admit, I have backed off on the number of posts, but partly due to being busier at work. But, more importantly, I am a lot more careful what I say. I have used the delete key alot more than previously because I wonder if someone will hit that alert key and turn me in. I had a post wiped out a few weeks ago presumably because someone reported it... but maybe not. But, I 2nd guess myself now and respond more blandly for fear that some may take my comments wrong and develop a misperception of who I am.

I do hope as Marc implied, this is just a phase of the pendulum. Maybe some have over reacted, including myself.
  • Man, I must've missed something...

I'll have to find that thread you guys are talking about. (I also must mention that when I first typed "thread", it came out as "threat". Freudian slip?)

Any time I come across a thread that I don't particularly enjoy, I don't get upset or offended, I just MOVE ON. I hope the Forum continues to be as educational AND entertaining as we've enjoyed in the past.

• WOW! I just thought everyone was busy...didn't know all this bru-ha-ha was going on.

Hope you guys don't stay away just cuz some folks take offense at some comments. I feel part of the Forum is being able to vent from time to time in a safe environment as well as getting very good feedback and information.
  • My dear friends. With absolutely no offense intended, I think you are all getting a bit paranoid. I don't believe it was ever James intent to stiffle us and I am sad that so many of you are walking so cautiously. We are all adults here and if you read something you don't like, email the person privately or just don't go back to the thread and read more. I want my old forumites back!!!!x:'(
  • >My dear friends. With absolutely no offense
    >intended, I think you are all getting a bit
    >paranoid.

Remember, Sonny... just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you... buwAHAHAHAHAAHA!!! x;-)

• In your case Beagle, you should be very paranoid.
  • Please remain at your keyboards, we know who you are and we are coming to get you.x;-)
  • And it will help if you remain logged on to the forum.
  • What wrong with me is I've been VERY busy and haven't been able to check in as much as I used to, BUT I aim to fix that really soon!

Go figure, I created a post about being ADDICTED to the forum, then I went missing in action for two weeks.

Regarding what's appropriate . . . . those who don't like the posts need to stop reading them . . . if I can't openly express my opinion on the forum, (which kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?), then I'll go elsewhere.

My last day of work before Christmas, Merry Christmas to all!
  • Mel, feel free to drop in on the forum while you are on vacation, you never know what we may say about you. Just remember us poor suckers who have to keep working right up through the 24th.
  • Even though I haven't participated much, it's true I check in every night, late, as I will during the holidays. You won't get away with anything ray. x;)

• I think you're confusing me with Beagle. I'm the good twin and I will say only nice things about you. Beagle is the one to watch out for.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 12-19-03 AT 12:07PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Glad you're on top of it, Mel. Ray needs a keeper. x;-)

As for me, I'm just killing time waiting for our holiday luncheon to start and chomping at the bit to close the office for the day. However, there is work to be done - in the process of approving a termination for an employee who physically threatened two coworkers during a Christmas gathering at one of our properties. How stupid can people be? x:o

Edit: Oops, sorry. I meant "holiday" gathering x:D
  • Are you guys joined at the hip, both posting at the same time and trying to blame each other for everything?

Twins separated at birth . . .
  • If Don doesn't step in to keep us in line, it may get worse.
  • You can't tell by the number of my posts but I have been an active participant for about a year. I had to change my log-in when I left my job.
    I have a LOT of time on my hands (I have also been housebound due to snow), and yes the posts have decreased and become a bit drier. So I urge you forumites, please don't restrain yourselves! I need the entertainment!
    Ray, Parabeagle how is it that you both know the exact time the other one has posted so that you can respond?
    Twins separated at birth? /:)
  • No, no, no. The twins thing has nothing to do with it. Ray responds to MY posts, I don't respond to HIS posts - the timing just makes it SEEM that way. x;-)
  • As a relatively new member of the Forum, I miss Don's wisdom and humor. I've noticed he hasn't responded at all to this post.
  • But we did get Ray and Beagle going x:D Come on Don jump in, we miss you.
  • Ok, I just read the thread you referenced. I am one of those people who restrains my language on the forum since half of what normally comes out of my mouth can't be said on network television. That also makes it real hard to offend me, so maybe thats why I am often confused when certain threads are deleted.

As for others being harsh, well, I guess that depends on how thick your skin is. I love this forum and am amazed at the knowledge that I see every day. I can't see taking things personally. Anyone who has spent enough time on the forum can get a feel for the tone of the group and decide for themselves whether it is something they can enjoy or not.
  • But remember one thing, every person who decides they cannot enjoy the tone that we set is ultimately a dissatisfied CUSTOMER to HR Hero.com.