Damn Right, I Voted!

Comments

• Nae, I agree with you 100%. Obama is charismatic, not doubt about it. I like his can-do spirit and he could do alot to heal racial wounds. But.... as with you, abortion is a big deal with me. Yes, I am more directly affected by the economy right now, but if he can't get it right with this one issue, how can I trust him with other issues of weighty import? Plus, I'm just concerned how his policies will affect business in general.

Change is inevitable. The question is, do we really know what that change will be? Is it what we really want?
  • I have at least one ee taking two personal days off for this election. One for watching the coverage and one for recovering. She is an Obama supporter.

I just need to start getting used to saying "President Obama"
  • I already have a couple of employees referring to him as "President Hussein".

Jackasses.
  • Our local news this morning reported how the woman who sang the national anthem butchered the words. Don't know it for a fact cuz I was long sleeping but if true he might have found someone who knew the words. . just me.
  • Well Paul, at least she is sincere about her choices, unlike some people she is working with!!
    History has been made, ladies and gentlemen. Obama has ben elected by the people of this country that I consider a great one!
    Last night on tv I saw young, old, white, blacks, hispanics crying, clapping, smiling, hugging each other!! It was a celebration.
    I watched the RAI (Italian channel) and it was a celebration. I heard the various statements sent by world leaders (a most positive one by President Sarcozy), all supportive of the american' choice.
    Now we, all of us, need to support our "commander in chief" just as McCain stated in his beautiful speach after the election.
    I hope everybody is going to ignore the ignorant (meaning the one who know no better)
    and the petty.
    Now I have posted my 2 cents and I do feel wonderful!
    I wish to everyone a great, great day.
    Ciao
  • Yes, Obama will need our support. He has a very difficult job ahead of him.

With all due respect, Marina, I wonder if Obama supporters would be magnanimous in their support if McCain had won? Paul actually made some good points above, if Obama had lost, would that have thrown society into a turmoil? Would we have the 60s riots all over again? All speculation at this point.

Part of the difficult job Obama has is to win the support of those who opposed him. He talks about unity. I wonder which Obama will be president, the one based on his record or the one who gave all those nice speeches over the past year. I hope the latter.
  • I will say it was very interesting being here in Chicago for all this. I have some good friends on the Chicago police force, and they were preparing for full scale riots, lootings and shootings should Obama lose last night. That alone is sad. Yes, it is speculation that something bad would happen, but as the 8 ball says, "all signs point to yes."

Older members of the forum know about my political views, but I must say, I actually voted independent on this one. Living in Cook county, it was obvious which way my county would go, but I couldn't really say that I agreed with a majority of the platform of either major candidate.

I hope that Obama proves me and the rest of the doubting public wrong....I think a lot will depend on the quality and experience of his candidate...only time will tell! But I think that all of us should at least give him a chance - after all, he will be our next president, and we have no choice but to go along...so why make it harder by being negative about it?

I'm just glad the city behaved itself and I could get to work this morning...simple pleasures!
  • Good thing conservatives don't riot.
  • I agree, regardless of our views we still have to support our president regardless of who he is because we are Americans and that is what we do.

Shirley
  • More petty little jabs from Ray. Substance-free, as usual.

What specifically is it about Obama's record that indicates he can't promote unity, Ray? Let me guess... at your office, you're the guy calling him President Hussein.
  • There you go again Frank, making personal attacks. You're a real gem.

• cubic zirconia - cheap imitation.

• Ray, with all due rispect
    I consider your statment ignorant and demeaning toward the people of America!!
    Did you have any fears of "riots" if McCain had lost?
    I wonder why Ray: is it beacause, perhaps, you think that only "minorities" like me, or blacks, or hispanics voted for Obama?
    Of course we are a bunch of ignorant apes who need the good "massah" to lead us!!
    This spells "racist" in my book!! and yes I have said it because I do not hide behind this PC crap!!
    I've got a news flash for you: Obama was elected by ALL OF US of all races, creed and so forth.
    All of you, and I mean ALL, of you have a good day, if you can.
    I am going to celebrate the fact that, thank God, America is not the one Ray believes in!!

• While it would be great if everyone could agree and support the elected officials - it just doesn't happen.

[url]http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122584386627599251.html[/url]

I do not vote party lines, think all of this bickering is pointless and the personal attacks are wrong, very wrong.

Grow up people!
  • Marina, read NeedCoffee's post #37 above. She provided support for my speculation.

I am fully aware of who voted for Obama.

Regardless of what you or Frank think, I am not ignorant, nor am I a racist. The tone of your statements reveal much more about yourselves than they do me. Your comments are highly offensive.

This forum has degraded to being a joke.
  • Good, I am so glad you realized who I am because dear Ray I am for real!!
    My comments are offensive? Did you read yours?
    But listen, the PC world is not for me, guys, so you keep your own little circle going and be happy. I have nothing else to say.
    Ciao

• Marina, you along with Frank made highly charged personal attacks. Your comments especially are extremely offensive. I made no personal attacks above.

I have stated clearly in the past I had concerns with both candidates, as have others here, but for some reason I am the one you are slinging mud at. I have substantiated my positions, but because it didn't fit into the perception of truth with some people I have been personally belittled.
  • Well folks. If this forum is a microcosm, then we have seen the future of our society. State a conservative opinion, one rooted in the fabric of our society and those who disagree shout you down and call you ugly names, names such as racist and stupid.

Yep, welcome to the brave new world. Kiss goodbye to free speech.
  • I simply asked you to back up a statement you made (that happened to be, suprise suprise, disparaging to Obama) and you chose not to. When I see statements like yours made, I tend to ask for details. I will probably continue to do so, and you will probably continue to choose not to provide support. No big deal.
  • Guys, when I have to to be the voice of reason that means we are all in trouble. Cant we calm down a bit?

I was pretty satisfied with the results last night for several reasons:

1. There was a decisive victor. Obama ran a better campaign and I think he ultimately deserved to win. Mccain was gracious in defeat and Obama showed class in victory.

2. A huge segment of our population can now look at a president who looks alot like them. Thats a wonderful step for democracy and I hope it has a healing affect for the African American community.

3. Al Franken lost.

4. The democrats did not reach a filibuster-proof majority. That would have led to an imbalanced government.

5. Gordon Smith will likely edge out Jeff Merckley in Oregon.

My only other observation is that CNN did the best job overall of campaign coverage.
  • There you go lying again, Frank. You didn't simply ask for backup. Your post was an attack, nothing more. You don't care about the backup.

I posed a legitimate question about Obama, I did not call him names. I also said he deserves our support. Quit your lying.
  • Reading this thread this morning has made me sad. Anyone who lived through prior racial riots was concerned that there might be more again if Obama didn't win. With the polls so obviously showing he would win, comments such as, "People are telling the pollsters they will vote for him but in reality they will never vote for a black man," were heard time and time again around the country. Those kinds of comments would have come back to bite us big time if they had turned out to be true. One hopes for better, but we are, after all, only human. And if there had been riots, it wouldn't have been liberals or conservatives that rioted. It would have been the disenfranchised who also happened to be liberal or conservative.

Last night I was so proud to be an American! All the world was watching and our voters said we have changed 100% from 50 years ago, and our leaders said we lose graciously, and we win to unite. McCain's speech was wonderful, and then Obama stepped up and continued the theme. We need to be united. What a let down some of these personal attacks and provocative remarks have been! Let's move forward people! The election is over. We have a winner. Let's get behind him and make this country the greatest it has ever been.
  • I have seen many presidential elections and acceptance speeches in my time and none of them brought me to tears the way Obama's speech did last night. He was respectful of McCain and brought forth a renewed positive feeling that this country is going to be okay with hard work and unity.
  • Wow, it would seem that no matter what, we just can't have a civil discussion with regard to politics, can we?

For the first time in a long time, the candidate I voted for won, and he won fair and square. I was, however, just as impressed by McCain's concession speech as I was by Obama's speech. He handled himself with dignity and class in the face of defeat, as we all should.

Now we get our governor back (I for one haven't always been too sure who's "running the store" in her absence) although I'm afraid that since she's had a taste of being in the national spotlight for the last two months, her heart may not really be in the job anymore!

• She's made it clear she intends to stay in the national spotlight. It becomes a must then for her to do a good job and have a great record there. Hang on though. Her actions now may be more about the national spotlight than what is good for Alaska. She seems a good person however, so hopefully you can count on her to get attention by paying attention.

• Nae, you're exactly right when you say Gov. Palin's actions may be more about the national spotlight than what is good for Alaska...that's a pretty big fear in this state now. As you say, hopefully she will understand that to keep a firm foothold in national politics, she needs to do a good job for us for the rest of her term as governor.

There was an article in our local newspaper today that addressed that very issue and one of the people interviewed for it said she felt that the governor would come back to Alaska and be vindictive toward my community particularly, because there was a lot of local publicity (not of the good kind) generated during the campaign about the governor's flip-flopping regarding our bridge. (She told us she was all for it when she campaigned for governor here). So it will be interesting to see what happens when the dust settles and she's back home and once again officially running the state.
  • AGREED about the personal attacks. If that's what you'd like to do, send each other private messages. While I think that all attackers have excellent things to say most of the time, this is just ridiculous. Grow up.

I voted for Obama. Abortion rights is one of my hot button issues and usually influences my vote. I highly respect McCain for his concession speech last night. It was wonderful and hopefully we can all learn a little from it on how to get along.

• I am sorry if you are offended FunHRBanker and others, but I felt personally attacked publicly and chose to defend myself publicly. These attacks were made by one person whose sole purpose was to stir up trouble and by another person posting under false pretenses.

With this I am done.