Palin as an HR Example

13»

Comments

• Sorry Skosh, my old eyes were having a hard time reading those little scrunched up reply boxes.

Double entendre? What do you mean? I don't understand. Only if you are offended.

Do you always cheat? That was no race. Coming in to work today, I took the back way over the mountain on the twisty 2 lane road. A Mustang GT caught up with me, but I had to slow down for a little truck ahead of me. First chance I dropped down into 5th gear and passed the truck.... the Mustang followed. I was doing 70 and he kept up with me. We came to the long rise up the side of the mountain and there is a passing lane at that point, I moved over but kept my speed at 70. The Mustang fell back a little. Then toward the end of that road we caught up with some dottering oldster in a sedan going 55 mph, the speed limit. No where to pass legally. The Mustang was on my tail and I was getting irritated. With enough room, I could have pulled away easily since I have a top end of 155 and his older car probably wouldn't do over 130. At the stop sign, I was turning left and he pulled up next to me to turn right and gave me a big thubms up. He knew which car was superior.
  • Ray - do you get the feeling it is just us on this thread now? Have we scared everyone else away? LOL

I don't offend easily and I enjoy riding around topless... the wind in my ______ feels so nice. (Face, hair, teeth all are viable options here).

That wasn't cheating! In my mind I am a winner, unfortunately it is ONLY in MY mind.

Hmmm, are you sure the guy just wasn't surprised after he saw you that it wasn't you going 55? Sadly, I drive like a little old lady so those extra cylinders are just going to waste. Can I interest you in a slightly used Sebring?
  • So, do you ever get bugs in your teeth riding topless like that? Of course if you wore a baseball cap......

Yep, you're a winner alrighty.... no question about that. No argument from me.

No thanks, you can keep your Sebring. Want a ride in my Crossfire?
  • I live in Tennessee and you assume I have teeth? Hmmm, not too bad for a Yankee.

Chrysler rules!! I'll go for a ride but only if you promise not to exceed the speed limit or do anything silly. I tend to apply the non existent 'passenger brakes' and scream like a little girl if you get too close to the car in front of you... (having three accidents - two involving PARKED cars - before the age of seventeen makes you a little skittish). x:-8
  • You said you immigrated to the South from CA, I assume you still have a few teeth left.

Hey, I hit nearly 90 mph on the way to work today. Don't worry, I won't do anything that might damage my car. You wouldn't believe how fast I can take cloverleafs getting on and off the highway. And back country roads? Wow! It's like a go-cart.
  • If by immigrate you mean being dragged kicking and screaming by your parents then yes I immigrated from Cali. For some strange reason Child Protective Services had an issue with a teenager living on her own... go figure.

I have a few teeth left but only on the bottom in the back. The lack of running water and the line for the outhouse makes brushing a problem.

Those maneuvers sound suspiciously like the "silly" things I was referring to...
  • Just close your eyes when I come to the curves. And don't look at the speedometer. No worse than a roller coaster.
  • OK, I'll be there tomorrow afternoon.
  • Skoshi, thank you for being Ray's new friend. It keeps him occupied so the rest of us can do real work throughout the day. Ray really does not have enough work to do. It's kind of sad.

It's also kind of sad that he thinks going 90 is fast. You try going 90 on I-10 here in the west valley, and you'll get nudged off the road.

x:D

• Q, you're jealous because you have to work for a living.

I was doing 90 on a 2 lane country road with a speed limit of 55, nothing at all like your I-10 with no speed limit. When I was out there I cruised along at a sedate 85 on I-10 in a minivan.
  • Yes, I am jealous that I have to work for a living. I'll give you that. I am also jealous of your pink sofa and live plants.

So that was YOU blocking my way on I-10? I was *this* close to tapping your bumper.
  • How about the nice Oriental carpet in the center of my office in front of the couch? Are you jealous over that too?
  • Sure, I am jealous of the oriental rug.

Hey, for several months, I had a colorful preschool rug in front of my desk, the kind that has roads and buildings and trees and stuff. You could drive your toy cars on that kind of rug. The Corvette is perfect for the winding roads, even better than a Crossfire.
  • I don't know, a lot of XF owners previously owned Corvettes and they prefer the XF. The Corvette is faster, but the XF has a smoother ride. But, I'd trade it in on a Saturn any day. That is one hot car!
  • Not a problem, Q, I was happy to do it for ya’ll. Ray was well behaved, ate all his vegetables and went to bed after watching his favorite Disney movie. x;-)

I did enjoy the ride in the Crossfire. That baby really holds tight on the curves and when he hit that straight-away on I-40 at about 130 mph (I had my eyes closed after he hit 95) I couldn’t even feel a tremor. Too bad that State Trooper didn’t think the chase was as fun as we did. Glad Ray was able to make bail; that is a rarity for Yankees!

• And Skosh, I am ever so grateful you posted bail for me. But, are you going to tell them how you avoided being arrested as an accomplice?
  • Why sirra, I have no idea of what ya'll are referrin' ta. x:-8
  • OK, your secret is safe with me. x0:)
  • The lack of information that would support her firing of the Alaska Public Service Director screams that it was retaliation. If such information was available it surely would have been all over the airwaves by now. This being the case it seems logical that the HR Director and/or compliance officer knew that a wrongful termination suit would be tough to defend. If I had been in that position I probably would have been fired since my advice to the Governor would have been very adamant that what she was going to do was not legal and that she would be in trouble. In any event the latest word (which is contrary to her first position) is that she will not cooperate with the ongoing investigation and Alaska State employees are telling that they have been instructed not to talk about the case. It would appear that the ousted employee might also need to file an EEOC charge if he expects to get information on the record.

Moon
  • What does she care? McCain can just pardon her later.
  • Frank: I hope McCain never gets the opportunity to pardon her. I am sick of corruption, scams and lies.

Moon
  • Thank goodness Obama is free from that.

Do people really believe that either one of them are going to "fix this and fix that?" Both candidates said they are going to fix our healthcare system. Anyone want to take bets?

About the officer- I'm unaware of what charge he would file with the EEOC. I thought he was a white male under 40. I believe the issue is abuse of power, not illegal discrimination.
  • I think I have to agree with you, SMace. Except, at this point I'm not sure what to think about the charge against Palin concerning the firing. We get bits and pieces of information, but have not had access to everything. Too many loose ends.

I was watching a news segment about the two candidate's health care proposals. It was presented that both have major flaws. Obama's will be difficult to fund and could result in huge tax increases. McCain's will be hard to ensure that all have sufficient coverage. Will this be the lesser of two evils?

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-17-08 AT 01:57PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Just to make it clear, because some people seem to be confused about who was actually fired (see the post above referring to the "officer" being white, male and under 40): the person who was fired was the Public Safety Commissioner. The officer in question still has his job as an Alaska State Trooper. Palin maintains that the Public Safety Commissioner was fired over budget disagreements, and even he has gone on the record as saying that no one in her administration ever told him directly to fire the trooper. He did say that because of repeated contacts from Palin's staff and family members, he felt it was clear that they wanted the trooper removed, and he felt that when he didn't fire the guy, she fired him for not letting the trooper go.

The thing that bothers me is that initially Gov. Palin welcomed the investigation with an attitude of "bring it on, hold me accountable", but since she was chosen as McCain's running mate she has begun to oppose it and refuse to cooperate. One thing I liked about her as governor was that she seemed to want to keep the state government more open and honest, but now that she's running for national office that appears to have changed. But then I am so cynical about politicians' behavior and motives that I guess it shouldn't ever surprise me when they actually behave like typical politicians!

• Thank you for your post. You always give such clear information. I too am following this and am a bit disappointed that she is no longer cooperating.

Keep warm! x:-)
  • Isn't the terminated employee part Eskimo? If so it looks like a race case to me.

Moon
  • I've never heard anything about Walt Monegan being part Eskimo (a great many of us born and raised in Alaska are not part Eskimo or Alaska Native) and I was unable to find anything that specifically said one way or another, but even if he is, I don't think race has anything to do with anything in this situation. This wasn't somebody that Gov. Palin was just looking for a reason to get rid of, she was the one who appointed him to the position of Public Safety Commissioner. If she had had a problem with his race, she didn't have to appoint him to the position to begin with.

I think to try and look at this as some sort of discrimination based on a protected characteristic is oversimplifying the whole situation. I know for a fact he's over 40 but I don't think age discrimination has anything to do with it, either. Whether it was retaliation because he didn't fire the trooper who used to be married to Palin's sister or not, I think it had a lot more to do with politics than business so it doesn't make sense to me to try and look at it as something actionable under the EEOC.
  • I had an Eskimo Pie last weekend.