Gas prices

So, how are you responding to the increased price of gas?

Personally, I find myself combining errands if I have to make a trip into the next town. I also really, really think about whether that trip is necessary.

When the weather warms up I will probably bike, longboard, or walk to work.

Comments

• 42 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Walk to work. That's an idea. It's 23 miles for me, if I start now I'll make it by starting time tomorrow morning. I drove over 500 miles this weekend. Friends called Saturday afternoon needing a ride home from central PA - their car broke down. That was a 5 hour round trip I wasn't expecting. Gas is ranging from $3.91 to $4.17.
  • I can't afford to buy a new hybrid so the next best thing is to commute without the car. Fortunately the commute is short.

23 miles? Thats probably too long for a bike. You could just not leave the office. Sleep on the pink couch in your office 2-3 times a week.
  • I *could* bike that far, but my trip is about 50 miles each way, including 20 on the most dangerous stretch of interstate in Missouri (going by the death count). I'm afraid to even ride my motorcycle to work. The alternative is to live in the city... I guess Exxon has me over a barrel. (So to speak.)
  • I am seriously thinking about riding my ATV to work...I can run a tank of gas for a couple of weeks in it.

Shirley
  • Its amazing the number of large SUV's I am seeing on the side of the road with "FOR SALE" signs. A guy on the radio said that some of the 2007 SUVs that were selling for over $45,000 a few months ago are down to $30,000 now.

I think we may be at the point at which creativity will take over and people will start doing things differently.
  • I am thinking about buying the "Smart Car" to drive to work or shop around town. They are vary popular in Italy and they are very cute.
    Marina
  • OK, I'm trying to imagine Paul driving one of these. The smart fortwo passion coupe.

[url]http://www.smartusa.com/smart-fortwo-passion.aspx[/url]
  • A local dentist in town bought one a couple of years ago. He drives it all over the place. Although, I don't think he is saving anything. His "other" vehicle is a Hummer. Yeah, the big one.
  • Thanks Ray for the web site. Now I can "seriously" look into it. They are too cute!!

• I think people buy them for the novelty. The smart car get 33/41 mpg. A Honda Civic gas powered coupe gets 25/36 mpg, a Civic hybrid gets 40/45 mpg.

Marina, if you get one, post a picture of yourself and the car.
  • >I think people buy them for the novelty. The smart car get 33/41 mpg. A
    >Honda Civic gas powered coupe gets 25/36 mpg, a Civic hybrid gets 40/45 mpg.
    >
    >Marina, if you get one, post a picture of yourself and the car.
    Really??? I thought the Smart would cost almost nothing!! Now I really have to think about it!!

• Marina, read this article before you buy. [url]http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=6400[/url]

It could be a fun little car to drive, but just around town or the city, not for distances. I still think it's perfect for Paul.
  • I am buying a skateboard. They get better MPI (miles per ibuprofen). My trip to work is all downhill. The trip back might be a pain but there is a shuttle.

I get so mad when I drive by a gas station I could spit. This is my way of sticking it to the Man.
  • You'll have a hard time catching the shuttle when you are in a full body cast because you fell off your skateboard!!!
  • One of our lenders recently bought a hybrid - he really likes it. He drives about 25 miles each way to work and reports getting up to 50 mpg - but not normally. Usually in the low to mid 40's. He added that he can really tell a difference in his mpg based upon where he buys his fuel. Also there was a learning curve involved in this car. Apparently the motor stops at at stop sign and then starts back when he presses the accelator. Plus he said he is always watching all the guages to see what his current mpg is...
    I recall having a littel Dodge Colt, a '81 model with a twin stick (shift power & economy) that would get in the high 30 mpg and maybe even an occassional 40 mpg back then. That little car was a blast to drive. Felt like driving a go-cart, especailly since I traded in a full size extended chevy van.
  • I remember those, Dutch. I had an 87 Dodge Colt and would get around 41 mpg on the highway and at least 28 around town. I put alloy wheels and wide tires on it - it was a blast and economical.
  • My Chevy Sprint got 50+ mpg... 20 years ago!
  • Yep, there were cars then that got excellent gas mileage, but they had no power accessories. Bare bones transportation. Less weight, less powerful engines and better economy. Trouble is now everyone wants power windows and all the amenities that rob power and add weight thus decreasing economy.
  • Watch it Ray....
    I've put on a few pound myself over the past 20 - 30 years.
    Can you still purchase a vehicle with hand crank windows and a three speed shifter on the column?
  • Paul, do you find that tourism is down on the coast due to the high price of gas? Not as many people from interior Oregon coming your way?
  • Dutch, I've put on 2 or 3 lbs too.

Hand crank windows, yes. Three on the tree, no.
  • I judge tourism by how long it takes me to drive through "downtown" Cannon Beach on my way to work. This past weekend it was a very slow drive as I waded through a seemingly endless stream of people wandering aimlessly with coffee cups and ice cream cones looking for places to spend money.

So tourism seems good. I think people will still take vacations but they will look for places within 200-400 miles or so.

I heard a new term over the weekend: "staycation" The idea being you take some time off but you dont go anywhere fun. My family has been doing that for years.
  • Ironically, we're actually taking a "real" vacation this year for the first time in ages. Camping in Rocky Mt. National Park, etc. My son and I will climb Long's Peak, if all goes well (the non-technical route). I spent my 18th and 19th birthdays there. When my son was four, I attempted to carry him in one of those toddler-backpacks, despite the fact that he was twice as big as what the pack should hold. After 7 hours, we were forced to turn back by an electrical storm and heavy rains. This year, we finish what we started.

Of course, he's 16 now. I'm not carrying him this time. I told him if we wait much longer to try this, he'll have to carry me.
  • Any of you noticing more scooters? That's what we're seeing. Of course, our traffic isn't at all bad -- we have the 5-minute rush around 8 am and 5 pm but that's it.
  • I assume you dont mean the push scooters that were popular a few years ago. I havent noticed an increase in the little scooters but it wouldnt suprise me. They are fairly inexpensive and you dont need a special license to operate them. Gas mileage is probably pretty good I imagine.

I think its great that people are re-thinking their commute and basic travel. I am fortunate that walking to work and other means are available to me.

Another option is mass transit. With laptops, cell phones, and ipods, you can have an enjoyable commute and even get some work done. Some pepper spray in your purse or jacket and you are good to go.
  • For a city the size of Phoenix, our mass transit still stinks. We are deep into construction of the light rail system which is still pretty useless for me but is doing wonders for slowing down traffice to one lane in several areas. Using it would take me around two hours to get to work.

My assistant and I joked yesterday that we should use "Work from home!" certificates as incentives. Administrative employees could win or earn them. We do not currently allow telecommuting, and most of us travel quite a bit to get to the office. Would still have to work on that day, but can do so their pj's, save the gas money, AND have an extra two hours that day to spend working instead of driving...

Started out as a joke, but I'm warming to the idea.

What am I doing about gas prices personally? Keeping activities close to home. Used to drive my boys across town to fun places, but not any more. We have a nice park right down the street from the house. Plus, now my kids are with my parents for the summer. Woohoo!
  • "Plus, now my kids are with my parents for the summer. Woohoo! "

You just wanted to say that. It had nothing to do with reducing gas. Well, maybe now that I think about it, it might.

• Give me some slack. They just left yesterday for the three day drive to Iowa. I am currently enjoying an evening of listening to music instead of hearing the TV in the background. I think I may just sell the TV's before the boys come home.

AND, their bathroom will stay clean with almost no effort. It's the little things that I appreciate. x:D
  • Okay, guys, now I'm really feeling old. I just read the replies and that you guys were driving 80's cars. I used to have a 1971 Pinto and loved it. It was also great on gas. It was automatic but when that one died, I bought another one standard shift. That was before the rear-end crash fire scare! Do you some of you even remember that???? Please say YES!
  • It's ok, DMK. I learned to drive in a 68 Dodge Dart.