Wicked Witch of the West

Comments

• Well then Ray can you do the baritone?
  • Yes, Joannie plays woodwinds and organ. I play low brass and flute. Many potential combinations.
  • Since this band will play in cyberspace, I'm in for the piano. Ok?

For the first time I liked Hillary last night. When she got up and spoke about a great republican conspiracy to lie about her hubby during the Lewinsky scandal I lost all respect for her. Last night she became more human and less foolish. It's not foolish to dream; just to believe something rediculous to avoid accepting a much more believeable but less palatable truth.

I wish I could say I could go on liking her, but that might be expecting too much. x:D
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 01-08-08 AT 08:17PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Well this is great...we have Ray on brass, Joanie on wind, Q on the comb, Paul on the airwaves, and NaeNae to tickle the ivory keys. Now we need someone to play some strings and cymbals. We almost have our home run!

WON'T WE BE SOMETHING TO DISCUSS IN THE NEXT ELECTION!
  • Since ACU Frank is pantsless, why don't we let him play the cello. That way he will at least have some coverage.
  • Coverage would be important so yes the cello or the big base fiddle!
  • You have NO idea how difficult it has been to resist posting the most inappropriate response you have ever read...
  • More inappropriate, Frank, than admitting to being able to lick your elbow?
  • My mom used to call that "Indiana humor". My apologies to the state of Indiana.
  • A big part of being able to lick my elbow involves a lack of connective tissue in my shoulder joint, Joannie. (And sure, part of it is Gene Simmonsesque, but only part of it.)

So... Yes. Much more inappropriate.
  • Come on, Frank, didn't your momma tell you if you thought it you might as well say it, 'cause God knows anyway?
  • And she won NH...! Their polls turned it all up side down for both parties again...
  • A lawyer friend told me this morning that there was an electronic glitch that caused Hillary to win. Not sure what that means.
  • That would be nice...but let's hope we don't have another Florida issue!
  • Let's get back to the fact that Ray has a lawyer friend. That's disturbing... I thought lawyers had more class!
  • Gee Frank, don't be so hard on Ray. I thought he was smarter than having a lawyer for a friend.x:D
  • >Gee Frank, don't be so hard on Ray. I thought he was smarter than having a
    >lawyer for a friend.x:D

Hmmph!
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 01-11-08 AT 05:22PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Kimberly, are you a lawyer?

And are you missK who has been absent a long time?
  • >Kimberly, are you a lawyer?

Yeah, I've admitted as much in my more "informative" posts.

>And are you missK who has been absent a long time?

If I recall correctly, MissK disappeared after an exchange wherein Paul said he wanted more lawyer participation in some of the threads. MissK suggested that there may be lawyers posting who just don't identify themselves as lawyers, a concept Paul seemed to find unbelievable.

I began posting shortly thereafter, being sure to include my professional signature any time I responded to substantive questions. My preference would be not to end such posts with "Esquire" (I'd just as soon avoid even the appearance of pretentiousness), but I decided that if Paul and others find additional comfort in seeing "esquire" at the end of informative posts, then I would oblige, even though that might otherwise affect the way I feel I can participate in the forum.

• Kimberly,

Thanks for your response. It is good to have labor lawyers participate and at times it helps when we know your credentials. A lot of us give opinions, I tend speak of my experiences on the serious posts and not cite chapter and verse of the laws. Many of us tend to post based on experience. Having input from professional lawyers gives us a different perspective, one that is welcome.

In the past, long before you showed up, we would have lawyers stop by and drop bombs on us. Sometimes it seemed their sole purpose was to drum up business, not give meaningful advice. This forum does tend to be a community, many posters just pop in on occasion, but some of us almost live here. I suspect once we get to know you, the esquire signature won't be necessary.
  • My lawyer friend also plays the bass trombone. Bass trombonists don't have class.
  • Kimberly, I like to tease lawyers. I attended an employment conference once that was sponsored by a law firm and the theme should have been "HR Should Always Call An Attorney Before Attempting Anything".

It was clearly communicated that attorneys are a higher life form than us HR professionals and that bothered me. So I like tweaking attorneys when I can but don't take it seriously. In fact, dont take anything I say very seriously.

Your participation is always welcome.

Paul in CB
    Esquire
  • I believe Kimberly deserves an outlet and a relaxing thread to hangout in just like the rest of us. The fact that she's an attorney just confirms our commitment to diversity and inclusion. I hope she feels safe enough to just have a little fun! After all, it is HR har de har har!!!
    allsteaks
    esquirely but not

• I think Paul signed his post incorrectly. It should be:

Paul in CB
    Issquare

Glad you can hang out with us Kimberly. Please don't take everything we say in this section seriously.
  • I'm another one who likes to poke fun at lawyers... like, who doesn't? But I'm also the father of a pre-law student, so I guess I'll get over it eventually.

;)
  • >Kimberly, I like to tease lawyers. I attended an employment conference once
    >that was sponsored by a law firm and the theme should have been "HR Should
    >Always Call An Attorney Before Attempting Anything".
    >
    >It was clearly communicated that attorneys are a higher life form than us HR
    >professionals and that bothered me. So I like tweaking attorneys when I can
    >but don't take it seriously. In fact, dont take anything I say very
    >seriously.
    >
    >Your participation is always welcome.
    >
    >Paul in CB
    >Esquire

Silly Paul; I learned long ago not to take anything you say very seriously.

And don't worry, like MissK, I'm not thin-skinned enough to be bothered by a little jibe. Especially from the likes of you! :P

One day I was at the gym, stretching after my workout, and there were some guys talking to each other and stretching very nearby. I couldn't help but overhear their conversation, and it became apparent that they were lawyers. They were discussing how it must be tough being a judge, and a couple of the guys said that they would never want to become judges. One of the guys said, "Just think about it - once you became a judge you wouldn't ever be able to hang out with any lawyers or anything..."

At that point I couldn't help but chime in and say, "That sounds like a perk, not a drawback."

They glared at me, clearly not appreciating my attempt at humor. Then it occurred to me that they would have no idea I was also a lawyer, so I tried to lighten the mood and make clear that I was joking by saying, in a very tongue-in-cheek way, "Hey, I'm a lawyer, and even I don't want to hang out with lawyers," but that didn't seem to help much. Some people just don't know how to laugh at themselves.

On another note, there seems to be some confusion as to why I feel that my (known) attorney status limits the way I can participate in the forum. It has nothing to do with how welcome I feel or whether I think anyone wants lawyers hanging around (since when have lawyers cared about whether anyone actually wants to hear what they have to say? ;-) ); it's more about how the nature of my profession tends to require a greater degree of caution about what information I feel I can make public about myself, what kinds of discussions I can participate in in certain contexts, etc. So I'll keep the tales of my arm wrestling adventures to myself and stay out of the emotionally-charged political debates and stick to sharing what I know about employment law and maybe offering an occasional new 6-letter word or some mock-offense to someone's lawyer jokes.
  • Kimberly,

You and I got off to kind of a rough start on the forum. I just want you to know I have no animosity and hope you don't either.
  • Oh, sure... One post about an incident at the gym and Ray suddenly realizes you might be a hottie...
  • Posted by ACU Frank on 01-15-08 at 06:44 PM:

>Oh, sure... One post about an incident at the gym and Ray suddenly realizes
    >you might be able to kick his butt so he'd better start sucking up to you...

I know, right?