changing roles

I started a new thread because I was falling off my chair trying to read the responses to 'Parabeagle..."

In different decades, roles of men and women often shifted. From the Roarin' 20s, the Depressed 30s, the Rosies of the 40s, and the professional housewives of the 50s, women have moved in and out of the roles that our culture, not exactly dictates, but encourages and reinforces. I'm posting an excerpt from a 50's textbook that had steam coming out of my ears when I first read it, but I saved it because it iilustrates the acceptable roles of the 50s that many (if not most)of today's women would find unacceptable

How To Be a Good Wife
(from a high school home economics textbook, 1950)

Have dinner ready. Plan ahead, even the night before, to have a delicious meal---on time. This is a way of letting him know that you have been thinking about him and are concerned about his needs. Most men are hungry when they come home and the prospect of a good meal is part of the warm welcome needed.
Prepare yourself. Take 15 minutes to rest so that you’ll be refreshed when he arrives. Touch up your makeup, put a ribbon in your hair, and be fresh looking. He has just been with a lot of work weary people. Be a little gay and a little more interesting. His boring day might need a lift.
Clear away the clutter. Make one last trip through the main part of the house just before your husband arrives, gathering up school books, toys, paper, etc. Then run a dust cloth over the tables. Your husband will feel he has reached a haven of rest and order, and it will give you a lift, too. Prepare the children. Take a few minutes to wash the children’s hands and faces (if they are small), comb their hair, and if necessary, change their clothes. They are little treasures and he would like to see them playing the part.
Minimize all noise. At the time of his arrival, eliminate all noise of the washer, dryer, dishwasher or vacuum. Try to encourage the children to be quiet. Be happy to see him. Greet him with a warm smile.
Some don’ts. Don’t greet him with problems or complaints. Don’t complain if he’s late for dinner. Count this minor compared to what he might have gone through that day.
Make him comfortable. Have him sit down on a comfortable chair or suggest that he lie down in the bedroom. Have a cool or warm drink ready for him. Arrange his pillow and offer to take off his shoes. Speak in a low, soft, soothing and pleasant voice. Allow him to relax and unwind.
Listen to him. You may have a dozen things to tell him, but the moment of his arrival is not the time. Let him talk first.
Make the evening his. Never complain if he does not take you out to dinner or to other places of entertainment. Instead, try to understand his world of strain and pressure, his need to be home and relax.
The goal: Try to make your home a place of peace and order so that your husband will stay and not stray.

(An illustration, ‘How to Kiss’ was included. The man and woman are kissing and a big arrow swings around from her back to the back of his head. Huh?)

Anne in Ohio

Comments

• 39 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I took Home Ec in the 70's and things were much different...thank God!
  • Wow. Wish someone would treat ME like that! These were the June Cleavers of the world. How do you suppose she kept such a spotless house wearing a dress and heels?

Linda

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-14-05 AT 11:28AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Yep, the little woman at home at my haven of rest got an A+ in that course.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-14-05 AT 11:24AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Plan B for anyone reading that book might've been to pay closer attention to the line that advised, "Be a little gay." x:D
  • I have an old Life magazine at home with black and white photos showing how a woman should undress before her husband.

I also have an old episode of the Dick Van Dyke show on tape that addresses your article's content more directly. They do three versions of Dick coming home at the end of the day.

In his version he comes in the door like Fred Astaire, dancing his way into her heart. Laura is sloppily dressed and yawning, complaining, all the dishes are dirty and there is no dinner.

In her version, she is dressed in a formal gown and a tiara with his favorite dinner on the stove and the table beautifully set. He comes home late and slams the door so the picture falls off the wall; didn't call her to say he'd be late and had dinner on the way home.

I like the music and the poodle skirts, but not sure the rest of the 50s were all that fun, in retrospect.
  • What was the third version?

Brad Forrister
    VP/Content
    M. Lee Smith Publishers

• Reality, i.e. a little bit of both - and the making up part. x:D
  • I agree that our society by and large dictates the norms for our roles.

However, I have always been annoyed by our willingness to accept those dictates, why would you read a book that tells you how to be a good wife? There aren't many men who believe they need any advice on how to be a good husband. Whether they do or not isn't the question. Its the fact that believe enough in themselves and their abilities to listen to their own thoughts 1st and get advice later.

Why did so many women in the 50s believe that they should stay home, keep house and raise children when their own desires would have led them to work.

Why do so many woman now believe that they have to work and be a mother when their own desires would lead them to make one choice now and another later?

My point is that women are oftem complicit in their unhappiness with the status quo.

• It's interesting how women's views of women have changed in the past 50 years. The fact is that roles were more clearly delineated in the 50s. I chose to work. However, when my children were younger, I only worked the hours they were in school. One of the reasons is that I still recall with a great deal of joy the fact that when I came home from school my mother was there (probably to insist that I immediately get out of my school clothes and into my play clothes before I went outside to play).
    Finally, I know many women who would love to stay home with their children, but for economic reasons must work.

• That's hillarious! If I'd ever done any of this when I was married I think my husband would have gagged and wondered what I'd been smoking or ? I had the same thought as Whatever about "be a little gay"
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-15-05 AT 05:29AM (CST)[/font][br][br]....on second thought.

• I saw the post, but not a problem. I assure everyone that I am not in -------------------.

Anyway, as the resident oldie, I thought I would check out how things were, since I don't remember. I dragged out the old 1958 HS yearbook and this is what I found.

Lots of poodle skirts. I'd forgotten them until HRLASS mentioned it. Non-poodle skirts with hems below the knee to almost the ankle. Lots of crew cuts, guys and faculty (male). Female hair styles some the same as now but some rather strange. I can't explain. 1940's and 50's cars. Lots of clubs populated according to gender, with each having a mascot of the opposite gender. Clubs with members of both genders didn't have a mascot but a faculty member was in the picture. I don't know what that means. The rule for guys apparently was that photographs require a suit or sports coat and tie with dark dress shoes. THe only one who was different was yours truly, who wore his white band uniform shoes - they doubled as uniform and dress shoes, since I didn't have another pair. All white - desegregation hadn't kicked in yet. Only one Hispanic name. Two pages devoted to the one inch of snow which fell in north Florida that year - I guess one half inch for each page. The Historical Society club had a purpose - "to create a better interest in current controversial issues through discussion." I wasn't in the club, so I don't know what they discussed.

I prefer today.
  • Wow, G, my oldest brother was born in '58 or '59.

I remember how my mother was at home. She wasn't allowed to work outside the house so she kept a tight, neat home for us. She greeted my father at the door and supper was always hot when he came through it. He was served at the table and he never cleared his own dishes...just got up and went into the living room to watch the news.

Cheryl C.
  • What did you mean by 'watch' the news? Was it happening in the front yard! Oh, wait, I'll bet you meant on television. You must have had a television. I don't think we did.

Four friends of mine who had a rock band were sent home from school for daring to all wear blue shirts with white collars on the same day. It was just too out of line.

I was kicked out of the gym at a high school basketball game in '65 for wearing a Beatle-wig. Wonder what they would have done had I worn an earring and had the crack of my a** exposed with my britches hanging down.

G3 has brought me to tears with that 'one pair of shoes story'. My brother and I had one pair between us one time. Hold my beer while I find my violin.

Disclaimer: This message is not intended to offend or attack. It is posted as personal opinion. If you find yourself offended or uncomfortable, email me and let me know why.
  • >What did you mean by 'watch' the news? Was it
    >happening in the front yard! Oh, wait, I'll bet
    >you meant on television. You must have had a
    >television. I don't think we did.

Yes we had a television and it was a color one too! I was born in the early 60's and most people had them by then. I think it stayed on at our home from dawn until the Late, Late Show.

• Cheryl -
    Sounds very familiar. I think my mom was a closet June Cleaver fan. I was born in 1958 (*age disclosure*) and can say "ditto" to the rest of your post.

To translate for Don - my dad would get up from the table and go to the den to watch the news. From that vantage he could see the news on "TV" (stands for "television", minus cable, dish, satellite, VCR, DVD, internet, Playstation and remote) or the live version at the home of the neighbors on either side. I could also watch TV in my neighbor's bedroom from my bedroom, or hold conversations from our upstairs bathroom window to the other neighbor's dining room.

My brother and I both play the piano and we had sing-a-longs with family and friends. Dad taught us how to play Rummy 500 on a rainy day and brother and I also read voraciously to this day. There were always regular family trips to the public library during summer vacation. We skated on the streets in winter and rode bikes in summer. Ah, those were the days! But no complaints now, either.
  • "The rule for guys apparently was that photographs require a suit or sports coat and tie with dark dress shoes."

My older brother (this was circa '62) was suspended from school for refusing to button the top button of his shirt for a class picture.
  • A budding radical, apparently.
  • G3 and I are the pre-boomers in the group. The two rules of the dress code that I remember from when I was in high school were: If your pants had belt loops, you had to have a belt on, and, second, NO LEVIS! Certainly no shorts, visible skin between the neckline and the knees, etc. You'd get sent home for an infraction of these rules, or any of the others that I can't remember. Didn't hurt us either; I don't think our generation turned out so bad. Unlike G3, I don't prefer today. One of my favorite sayings is that I was born 50 years too late.

Someone mentioned earlier that some women would like to stay home today but find it necessary from a financial standpoint to work. In some cases, yes, but in many cases - Hogwash! Most families today need two incomes due to lifestyle decisions, not necessity. Live like I lived when I was a kid, and one person can support the family - One car, a 900 sq ft house, one TV (maybe), play family games for entertainment, etc, etc. We have several married and unmarried young employees who are the sole support for their families. They aren't highly compensated either, they just have different priorities or circumstances, and prove it can be done.
  • Hunter, as a mid-generation boomer, I agree with you 100%.
  • I was a grade schooler in the 50's and remember the "No Bluejeans" rule along with the " No Sneakers" rule. I had to wait to get home to put on the Red Ball Jets. Us boys all wore the scout jacknife on a side belt loop though. No problem there as long as your jacknife wasn't connected to bluejeans, God forbid.

Out on the playground was a huge "Jungle Jim" that would just horrify today's parents.
  • As I remember, we were not allowed to wear slacks in school. Had to wear a skirt. If it was really, really cold, we could wear slacks under skirts but we had to take off the slacks as soon as we got to school. Not only couldn't you wear sneakers in school, but they were considered bad for your feet.
  • A relatively small university I went to once had a rule up until 1969 that girls could not wear pants of any sort unless they had already signed out with the dorm mother to head home for the weekend. They were then allowed to pack their car in pants. This same university last year (2004) published a rule requiring that freshmen live on campus if their permanent home is more than 30 miles from the school. They are not allowed to commute or to live in town, off campus. The rule states that these residents, living on campus, "are more productive, better students, become socialized more easily and make better job candidates upon graduation". I wrote the school and the editor of the paper to denounce this as hogwash. Let's see the survey that crap is based on!!

Disclaimer: This message is not intended to offend or attack. It is posted as personal opinion. If you find yourself offended or uncomfortable, email me and let me know why.
  • I hear it's not that uncommon to require freshmen and sophomores to live on campus. My nephew went to Brown (just a couple years ago) and he was required to live in the dorm for the first two years he was there.
  • University of Delaware has a similar rule. I think their motivation has more to do with $ than encouraging or discouraging gender roles for society or any kind of behavior.
  • Over the weekend, this was the subject of conversation with a handful of us ladies on our way to craft fairs. In true retrospect, this was fifty year ago. In 1950, what would they have looked back on fifty years before - "a good wife gets the wood chopped and stacked before breakfast, and has the chicken drained, plucked and feathers sorted for pillows before lunch...
    In fifty years what will they laugh at us for?
  • "A good woman was expected in 2005 to leave the house quietly by 6:00 a.m. on Saturday, in search of neighborhood garage/yard sales. She would never have gotten away with waking the husband and was expected to leave his breakfast partially prepared so that when he arose, he only had minor prep time to complete his meal. The proper wife would then drive through nearby neighborhoods, spending her personal funds on gasoline, never charging to the husband's card. She was expected to leave the windows rolled down so as not to use the air conditioning equipment in the automobile and wasting gasoline. She always knew better than to return home without several useful gifts she had collected to present to the roost's ruler. Everything she bought must be in excellent working order. She had to arrive back home no later than 15 minutes prior to the noon hour in order to prepare the noon meal. After cleaning up and sorting in the kitchen area, she was obligated to make lemonade and take it with a tray of cookies or light snacks to the back yard where the roost's ruler would either be cutting grass or sitting in the shade. Then it was time to prepare dinner for the roost's ruler. But, she always had time enough in her schedule between lemonade and dinner to wash the family SUV. If there was any time left between these duties, she would be expected to busy herself with other obligations, such as edging along the front sidewalk with the latest equipment the roost's ruler had purchased on his Sears card."

• In fifty years, I suppose "they" will laugh at us for introducing 20 year-old women to botox to keep their faces from getting character lines so that they can look attractive to older men who are allowed to have character lines for a longer period of time. They may laugh and shake their heads at the super-expensive pointy-toed shoes that Manolo sells as being the end-all be-all must-have footware to compete with the Sex in the City wannabees. Maybe they will laugh, shake their heads and cluck their tongues over the soccer moms driving the Humvees, IH pick-ups, and other gargantuan petroleum-sucking status vehicles. I'm sure if we look around this afternoon, we'll see a lot of really ridiculous stuff we have and the silly things we do. We don't need to wait fifty years to do it.
  • "super-expensive pointy-toed shoes that Manolo sells"

Aha! So that's why these diabolical domestic divas seem to have a difficult time controlling the gas and brake pedals on their mastodon Detroit monsters.