Parabeagle, Eat Your Heart Out!

Well, IRL comes to Nashville next Saturday for the Firestone Indy 200. Oh, yeah, Danica Patrick will be here! I got tickets yesterday and my son, who turns six next month, is ecstatic. We went last year but he lost interest after 50 laps.

This year he is more excited about "the girl racedriver" than anything else. Even the snow cones.

On a side note, I'm making a prediction. You heard it first from me on the Forum: 2006 will bring us Danica Patrick in the NASCAR Bush Series Circuit for a few select races, including, I believe, the Mexico City race (since it's a road course) which opens a market that NASCAR is desperately trying to break into.

On that note, HAPPY FRIDAY!

Gene

Comments

• 45 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • And Gene, to rub salt into the wound, I bet Danica would prefer the company of your 6 year old son over the company of Beagle. x}>
  • ANYONE would prefer the company of a six year old over mine!

But Danica Patrick in NASCAR? Aw, who cares? I'd still drink her bath water.
  • Who's this Danica Patrick, and what's the IRL?
  • "what's the IRL?"

Car racing for people who extend their pinkie finger when holding a tea cup.
  • Indy Racing League. Danica Patrick is an extremely talented, drop-dead gorgeous young lady. She is a great driver and perfect spokesperson for whomever is lucky enough to sponsor her. Did I mention that she is gorgeous? Don't take my word for it. Google her.
  • Can he say THAT? Where's the alert button?

Disclaimer: This message is not intended to offend or attack. It is posted as personal opinion. If you find yourself offended or uncomfortable, email me and let me know why.
  • Yes he can say that, the alert button is at the bottom left corner of every post, x:D and, I'd love to google her!;;)
  • I find the suggestion of "Googling" Danica Patrick vile, vulgar and completely out of place on this public forum. I would much prefer to "Yahoo" her. x}>
  • I trust you have seen photos of her 'friend-girl'.

Disclaimer: This message is not intended to offend or attack. It is posted as personal opinion. If you find yourself offended or uncomfortable, email me and let me know why.
  • I believe this is the woman who, when asked if she is the "Gloria Steinem of race car drivers" said, "Who"?

I guess if she doesn't know who Gloria Steinem is then she wouldn't know any of the lesser-known people in the movement that made it possible for her to even be in the game!
  • What do you mean by the 'people who made it possible for her to be in the game'? I'm assuming this is a 'lib' comment. All it took for her 'to be in the game' was being raised as a tom-boy, having a love of speed and adventure, probably whipping a few little boys' asses along the way, getting a car and finally having sponsors roll the dice on her ability. This has nothing to do with Gloria Steinham or womens' liberation. I suppose when she gets married we will insist on a hyphenated name.

• My, my, my. Did that reference to "a man's world" pinch your butt Don?
  • I didn't see a reference to a 'man's world'. I was responding to a comment about Gloria Steinhem and what I inferred to be a supposition that a cadre of women's libbers out there somewhere had laboriously made it possible for this female to achieve. Playing the 'lib' card, to me, is just like playing the 'race' card, or the 'anything else' card. Very inappropriate. But, again, maybe I misread or mistook the post for that when it was not that at all. The poster has not explained.

So, Ritaanz, where are you, personally, on the issue of whether or not this woman would have found her petite self strapped into a vibrating, roaring machine had it not been for 'others going before her' and drilling out a tunnel for her to crawl through? (sorry for the visuals TN HR, and Ray)

• Do you honestly believe that if women had not demanded equal rights, that we would have got them anyway? The magnificient male homosapien would have, with his remarkable brain power, eventually realized that us broads aren't that far behind in intelligence?

Give me a break! If that gal showed up on the track 15-20 years ago, some clever chap would probably have handed her a rag and told her to clean the windshield. Dam, we were lucky to have a driver's license!

You bet your a** it took a cadre a women with testicular fortitude so that pretty young thing can drive in a man's race.

And............don't hide behind the lib card. It is not about women's lib but women's EQUAL rights.

Women's lib is like wanting to be able to go into the men's locker room. Not all of us femme fatales need or want that type of emancipation.

Don Dear, Honey, Baby, Sweetheart, aren't you glad you asked?
  • Horsehockey! Women have been participating in these races for a decade or more. But, to continue your tirade, I'll say that (some) women do want to take over everything there is to take over and will never be satisfied with participating in female venues, e.g. a 15 year old skinny, immature girl on the PGA links. What is that really adding to the Sunday afternoon TV sport? So far, though, they haven't suited up in the NFL or gotten into the rink with men. Next thing you know they'll even think they have the intelligence to have HR leadership roles. Sheesh!!

• Ya know, it's not horsehockey. It is called polo. Hmmmmmm, tirade is it? Female venues? What the hell is that? Sewing circles? Cookie baking?

I know, I know.....pregnant and barefoot beating clothes with a rock in the stream. Get real. Before you know it, we'll even think about becoming President of the United States. x:P
  • So Ritaanz, what are you feeding the man of the house for dinner tonight?
  • The "man of the house" (giggle)is retired and he prepares the evening meals as well as all the other meals.

As for feeding him, he is quite capable of using a fork and a knife. Why do you ask?

• Since there's a perception that I'm inappropriately playing cards, I might as well play the big "R" one.

I bet the civil rights movement had nothing to do with the fact that Tiger Woods is doing something on the pristine, tournament-worthy, no names ending-in-a-vowel golf courses other than pulling weeds.

I didn't think my post was anything but self-explanatory!
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-11-05 AT 08:32PM (CST)[/font][br][br][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-11-05 AT 08:30 PM (CST)[/font]

The last time I checked, Lee Trevino's name ended in a vowel and he was not the ordinary, scratch golfer. For several decades he was in the television golfing limelight. In fact he was right up there with Nicklaus, Sammie Snead and Nancy Lopez. Omigod! She was a woman and a Hispanic at that! And sergio Garcia, Nick Faldo, maybe those names end in consonants I don't recognize. But, wait, the Europeans have moved to the top of golfdom such stars as Singh, Els, Parnevik, common white males holding women down. And, gosh, Chi Chi Rodriquez, the golf superstar who would stick his club inside his belt like a troubadour scabbarding a sword. Wasn't he an Hispanic whose name almost ended in a vowel? But, wait, he was probably only a token. How dare you intimate that people with names ending in vowels and females in general have no open avenue to progress and success!

Surely you don't demean yourselves to the degree that you think nothing a woman has achieved could have been possible without the collective efforts of a bunch of buzz-cut 'women' slapping their way through the hallways.

Before anybody gets their drawers in a wad over this thread, remember it was Irene who pushed the issue. Or was it Ritaanz? I think all female participants on the Forum should be alarmed and ashamed at the suggestion that their progress or lack therof is attributable to the efforts of others. Mine is not; why should yours be?

Names 'ending in vowels' indeed.

(last edit): Irene, your post is offensive to any thinking individual.

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-12-05 AT 08:44AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Well, I have been diplomatically standing-by to see how this thing unfolds. Some of the views here, while I respect them for what they are, disgust me. Maybe I was raised differently, who knows. The suggestion that my progress as an Italian-Mexican-American was somehow trailblazed earlier by others is sickening. I credit no one, and I mean no one, for anything I have accomplished (or failed to accomplish, for that matter) in life. There have been people along the way who have mentored me, taken me under their wing and provided me with support, but the notion that any of my accomplishments today are a result of others' plight is beyond me.

Stand-up for yourselves and show some conviction. The same people who claim that if it weren't for others before them they wouldn't have what they have today are the same ones who cry foul and blame "circumstances" and become victims of the past when they underachieve or fail.

If you find it necessary to put a gay person, minority, or any other individual on a pedestal and credit them with your life's accomplishments then I suggest you state it as such and not generalize that everyone representative of that group should do the same.

My post is not intended to offend, bully or intimidate. If you take it as such, that's unfortunate.

Gene
  • And violins, cellos and string basses.
  • Do you feel better now? I guess if I can tirade, you can diatribe.

Not to worry, I understand. That statement, "all female participants on the Forum should be alarmed and ashamed at the suggestion that their progress or lack therof is attributable to the efforts of others. Mine is not; why should yours be?" makes it very clear.

Being of the masculine persuasion, how would you know what it is all about? Ashamed? Ha! Not with the achievements we have made. Your daughter and her daughter will enjoy the fruits of the passion sowed by "collective efforts of a bunch of buzz-cut 'women' slapping their way through the hallways." Gee, I wonder where we got that from?

Oh by the way, great research on the golf pros. Did ya goggle?

• No, I didn't. I simply happen to have a memory on occasion. But, it's beyond me how you can lambast my posts and champion and applaud Gene's, when, in effect, they say exactly the same thing. Or can you not see that? There is hardly any difference at all in what I said and what he said. So, you're somewhere between 'Voila!' and 'Booo'.

• So sorry. I should heave preceded the one word, Viola (translated to mean So there!), with "The following expression is pure, unadulterated sarcasm. It's sole purpose is to let the masses know that I think Gene's proclamation is malarky."

• Let me add fuel to the fire. Had it been someone like Don, pOrK, myself or any other male on this forum who had merely hinted at the thought that Danica, or any other woman for that matter, is where she is at today as a result of a movement or some trailblazer before her, we would've been taken to the woodpile and then had our testicles BBQ'ed on a rusty spit.
  • Is that where Rocky Mountain Oysters come from?

Gene, I'm not going down that road. Turning the tables as a defense mechanism is another ruse popular with your gender.
  • Sorry. My mistake was in assuming you used the word 'voila' as found in the dictionary, "to express satisfaction or approval".

• That's funny, mine says it is a stringed instrument. But, I used the word in a French context, moi cherie.