Gimme a break!!

Okay, now I've seen it all... in beautiful Salem, Oregon (motto: We're a couple hundred square miles surrounded by reality), a local high school student wanted to post a picture of her older brother, a Marine serving in Iraq, as part of a school project highlighting former graduates at work. The principal would not post the photograph because the Marine in question was holding a (gasp!) ASSAULT RIFLE!! Apparently this ran contrary to the school's zero tolerance policy on weapons (apparently it also applied to pictures of weapons). Nothing, of course, was said about the school mascot, who wields a sword in his picture.

Helloooo! Anybody there? THE GUY'S A MARINE IN A COMBAT ZONE! OF COURSE HE'S HOLDING A GUN!

Sometimes I think this country is getting too PC for its own good!

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I don't get that reasoning. Did they order new history books where there are no pictures of weapons?

There's a 'Salute to Veterans' board in all Wal-Marts (I believe in all of them). Many of the photos are military people with weapons. To my knowledge, no one has ever looked at one of those pictures and felt inclined to go in and shoot up anybody.

What's PC?

• PC is "politically correct."

Latest is that first the principal backpedaled a bit when the community got up in arms about her refusal to post the pic. The principal offered to post a version in which the gun had been "airbrushed out." The family refused.

When a reporter confronted the principal about the fact their school mascot holds a sword her reply was "So he does... maybe we'll have to revisit that."

I think this woman is a couple sandwiches short of a picnic.xflash
  • She may be. But, I'll bet the ranch she is also a Democrat with no children and a butch haircut. Tell me if I'm half right.
  • She's an idiot, and I think they should ban both idiots and pictures of idiots lest someone get the idea that it's okay to be an idiot.
  • I am shaking my head in disbelief. This lady's right to prove how foolish she can be was won by marines and other's in the military that gave their lives to the cause. There are plenty of enemies that are glad to see this type of erosion - lots of them are holding guns, grenade launchers, etc and some are personally wired with explosives to ...

Argggh, I am going to stop now - she doesn't care about her own graduates, let alone my son or all the other son's and daughters putting it all on the line.
  • What a coincidence. I just heard that story on the radio this morning. I think it's better that it is a soldier in the picture holding the gun rather than say a "here's a picture of a graduate who now works as a mercenary for a living!" Or, here's a picture of my cousin the gangster who makes a decent living working for the Gotti family in security!
  • Isn't it hair raising that these are the very types of individuals who are forming the minds and principles of the next generation! What an incompetent idiot! Good for the parents and the community for standing up to her stupidity.