It's not fair to be this swamped!

Hi all - gosh, seems like for ever since I've been around. Right now:

I'm doing a payroll conversion for one of our enterprises. How I got stuck with this and not payroll is beyond me...

My right hand guy for the past 8 years is leaving December 15 to move to Texas to be at the base his wife is stationed at so he can have some time with her before she is deployed in a few months. (I know he has it much worse than me, really I do.)

We are rolling out 2005 benefit changes, with increases of course, at mandatory meetings. Then the wellness program we are starting wasn't ready, so now we get to do a whole new set of mandatory meetings...and then schedule the screenings, all by the end of the year of course.

Everyone is already going holiday crazy. I have the possibility of four grievances in the next two weeks. Hmmm, guess I'll have to squeeze them in between the Children's Christmas party and Employee Christmas Party!

So how's it going for everyone else?

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I'm so swamped that the company is letting me hire an assistant. But I'm so swamped that I haven't had time to hire one. So I need an assistant to help me hire an assistant. But then I wouldn't need ... :-? Oh, never mind -- I don't have time for this. 8-|

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • Leslie and James - I know how both of you feel. I am drowning in paperwork. I have not had an assistant in 2 years. I can barely manage to keep up. My salvation is coming soon. I will have an assistant by the end of the 1st qtr 2005. We have approx. 80 employees and I am the only HR person. I also am the Accounting Manager. Our turnover rate is extremely high this year, so the paperwork that's generated has been unbelievable. On top of the last Board meeting of the year approaching, I have to start thinking about the auditors coming in the next few months, safety compliance training, annual ppds need to be documented, extra payroll processing, W-2s, 1099s, etc.
    On top of all of this I am trying to sell my house, buy another house, have Christmas dinner at my house, get married at the end of January, and finish my neverending Christmas shopping! I must be crazy.
  • Hi Leslie, good to hear from you again. Things go well here, but very busy - which, when I think about it much, is waaaaay better than the alternative.

Maybe James will loan you his assistant, if he ever hires one. By the way James, lots of qualified types here on the forum - perhaps you can arrange for some on-line help from some of the go-getters that partipate here?
  • Hey, that's a good idea Marc. I'm up to doing some on-line help. Send me the grievance, Leslie, I can help there. I'm not good at planning the parties. I'm good at the mandatory benefits meetings but you'll have to pay for my roundtrip ticket, my rental car, my hotel, and meals.

I'm swamped too, but I have the very best assistant an HR Director could hope for. You hear that, Susan?

• Great idea Sam. I'm available too for the party planning part. I was dubbed "Cruise Director" here by our office staff cuz I am always working on some sort of fun event for the employees.

I have never been to AZ so with all the time we'll save you, you could show Sam and I around one day to see the sights :o)

• Hi Lezlie,

Let me give a different take on your situation. About 15 years ago I was out of work for 8 months AND going through a divorce at the same time. I remember hoping and praying to someday soon be stuck in rush hour traffic, swamped up to my eyeballs at work, having someone in my life I could call a "coworker", drinking coffee from a company coffee pot that has been stewing for hours, having the Monday blues, and experiencing a Saturday and Sunday that didn't feel like every other damn day.

I certainly don't mean to minimize your situation, Lezlie. But don't worry; you will prevail. Just knowing you from your posts tells me you're probably pretty darn good at what you do, you care about what you do, and you make a good difference. I wanted to let you know that, 15 years ago, I would have done about anything to be in your situation today.

Consider this a visit from my ghost of Christmas past.
  • Larry,

Thanks for a refreshing perspective. I can relate.

Sam
  • I look at it this way. The busier I am, the faster the day goes by. In the HR world it is difficult to plan your day. One never knows what will come up. Somehow, someway, it all gets done. Hang in there. I hear it will warm up next week. x:-)
  • OFCCP audit of my affirmative action plan due in 30 days. SPD's for all my health plans due early next year. Benefit statements for all employees due at the end of the year. A new affirmative action plan due at the beginning of next year. Christmas party to plan. Files to transfer. I seem to be getting hit from all angles too and I'm starting to lose it. This may be a wonderful way to drop a few pounds. But why does everything have to come right around the holidays?
  • Thanks for all the advice and perspectives folks! Sam, I should have posted my whine when you were in Vegas...that's much closer than MD! Gotta go...final decision on the mornings final interviews!
  • I just happened to pop in today to research an issue and tripped over your post, Leslie. Glad to hear I'm not alone but also feel for everyone who is buried.

I won't bore you with the details of my busy little life, but I probably won't join in much 'til after year-end. x:-(

I miss chatting with you guys, but I'm still lurking around every now and then! x:-)