Wisconsin Hunters

Tell me it ain't so! I heard on the news this morning that WI has passed a law that allows blind persons to obtain licenses for deer hunting.

Comments

• 36 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Don, I tried calling a good friend of mine who is an avid deer hunter in Wisconsin to ask her, but she's not around. I'll let you know what I can find. It would not surprise me.
  • Sorry, Don, it is so. However, I don't believe that it's recent legislation. I direct you to [url]www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/caer/cs/disabled/htm[/url] where a person can complete an application for a hunting licence even though they have been declared legally blind. This is one of the many reasons I stay very clear of the woods in November and December here.
  • Well, If I were a deer in Wisconsin, I'd have this thing figured out. I could walk right up to one of these hunters, just tiptoeing. And if he heard me, I'd simply say 'mooooo'.
  • That wouldn't help you in Wisconsin, Don. Even if you started barking, "Bow", you'd be dead before you got to the "Wow". A "meow" would get you strapped to a pumpkin launcher and a "Baaa" would get you.....well, never mind. However, wearing a cheese hat with your face painted green, a Tommy Bartlett Water Show bumper sticker slapped on your ass and a case of Old Milwaukee slung over your back will get you anywhere you want to go.
  • This just confirms a lot of suspicions about my little sister since her move to Wisconsin...
  • Larry, Larry, Larry: As you well know, hunting is a religion up here, and we wouldn't want to discriminate against hunters who can't see! Yes, this is an amazing state of affairs, being able to hunt when you can't see.
    I do appreciate your sense of humor re: the sheep. On the other hand, a case of Old Milwaukee isn't going to get you very far.

Fortunately, on our land, we never see anyone but family members, and, so far, we can all see relatively well. : )
  • This reminds me of all those street signs I see, "Blind drive ahead". At least it's safer than them putting it in reverse. 8-|

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • James,
    You made me laugh for the first time today - thanks,
    Sunny
  • James, the signs that get me are "SLOW CHILDREN AHEAD".

If the kids are slow, shouldn't the parents keep them off the street, for Pete's sake!
  • In our state it's "Hidden Drive". I always wonder why anyone would hide their driveway. How do their friends find the place?
  • Maybe the folks like being alone and the darn town workers went ahead and spoiled it by pointing them out.
  • Then there's "School Crossing". School's don't cross, people do.
  • How about "Loose Livestock" ?? Maybe the farmers need to give those promiscuous cows a good talking to.
  • I believe you will find that the blind hunter must have a seeing hunter along with as a guide. This is really no more extreme than expecting an employer to hire a full time reader so a blind person can be employed.
  • Yes, it is much more extreme! You don't issue guns to blind employees.
  • If guns are the issue, the city of Erie, PA is being sued by the federal govt. Their crime is requiring potential police officers to demonstrate strength and agility and after such a test, the officer must hold a handgun out at arms length by turns in each hand. This demonstrates ability to use a firearm after physical exertion, a very likely possibility for an officer. However, women have difficulty passing this test. Thus, the forces of political correctness want the test modified or done away with. It does not matter that those employees armed by society and given the duty to protect citizens may be unable to do so. To me, this is much more scary than having a legally blind person out in the field with his buddy handing him the gun to make a shot. While everybody can have their own opinion, everybody cannot have their own facts. Our whole society is refusing to face facts we find unpleasant or not politically correct. Instead, we substitute "facts" that we like. Enough of this will tear the fabric of society apart.
  • Hey, Don! I loved your question. I've never heard this one, but it's probably true! I've lived here in Wisconsin from the time I was two years old! Gun, deer season, which always falls over the week of Thanksgiving is referred to as "Holy Week" for a large majority of the "Northern Wisconsin" population! I have had employees tell me they will quit if they do not get the week off. We've also had people, during the interview process, tell us that they never work the week of deer season and will need that off every year! Hmmm, how bad do they want the job!
    Up here in the northland it can get a bit crazy. Many of the schools close for the entire week. The entire countryside turns orange with hunters! We live in the coutry and I do not even like to be driving down the road as drivers have been killed by stray bullets. Or, for that matter standing in the front portion of our house. We have very large windows covering the majority of the front and one side of our home. Stray bullets have been known to enter peoples homes! When our kids were growing up, they were not allowed outside AT ALL during that week. CRAZY!
    Also, I wanted to let you know that our son-in-law is a "southern boy". Born and raised in Birmingham, Alabama. My daughter and he met when they were both going to college in Tulsa. He is a true "southern gentlemen". We love him! Unfortunately, he has lost a lot of his southern accent since moving to Wiscosnin 1-1/2 years ago. I miss it!
  • Diane: Careful, you're coming close to criticizing my religion. There are probably greater odds of being killed by falling out of bed (one in 2 million) than by getting shot in your car or home during hunting season. Did you not let your children sleep in a bed? Of course schools close, 600,000 people buy licenses, millions of dollars are spent, employees need time off from work, etc. IT'S DEER SEASON!!!
  • A 'one week' deer season? That's all? More deer are harvested in Mississippi than any other state, or so I've heard. We have bow season for two weeks then about 5 weeks of gun season and there's primitive weapon season. Then it all starts over in December through January. It's always deer season on the roads but it's illegal to take one that you've hit with a vehicle. The law says you're supposed to call a game warden who will make a disposition decision. Usually they give them to nursing homes or tell you to take them with you. But, if you're caught doing it, it's the same as taking a deer illegally. It's also against the law to walk away from the accident if you hit one on a motorcycle (not really illegal; you just ain't gonna do it). I have two of those tiny deer whistles mounted very discreetly on the front fender. I don't know that they work; I just know I haven't hit one yet, so maybe they do.
  • Hi Don, being from Louisiana (Sportsman's Paradise) I thought I'd seen about everything, but I've never seen a deer on a motorcyle. I know a guy who got arrested for beating a decoy deer with the butt of his rifle when it didn't fall over after he shot it. This is true, no deer sh-t!
  • Oops! Sorry, Hunter! I wasn't trying to offend anyone! I come from a long line of hunters and my husband and his family are well-known around these parts for being some of the most "intense"! I have all kinds of animals hanging in my house. Seriously! Deer heads, bear rugs (my husband shot a 620 lb. bear when he was 16 years old), a coyote rugs , a bobcat rug. My husband hunts with a gun, a muzzle loader, a bow, he has bird dogs, he loves to trap, fly fish, etc. etc. We owned a sports store for nine years selling all of the hunting, archery and fishing accessories. So, no offense meant! We've just had a few very tragic accidents happen a little too close to home! And, owning our own store, I probably heard about more of those tragic incidents than most. Unfortunate, but true!
  • No offense taken. Except, perhaps from the guy from Mississippi - imagine him thinking that they harvest more deer there than here! : (

Don: Sounds like your season is much like ours - bow season early, then gun season, then muzzleloader, then more bow season. Throw in some extra opportunities in areas with an over-abundance of deer, and we can hunt from September through the end of the year. I limit my deer hunting to our 9 day gun season though.
  • Y'all heard about the deer hunter, who, upon return from the great adventure told his wife he wished she'd packed his warm slippers because the cabin floor was cold and draughty. "I did", says she, "they were in your gun case"!
  • Ooops! So much for "what goes deer hunting stays deer hunting"........Before the debate heats-up, here's some rounded figures on total deer harvested in 2003:

WI-600K
    MS-350K

Don, someone once told me that flinging the empty beer cans while driving down the road has the same effect as the little whistles on your bumper.....
  • I think TN HR is citing 'legal' kills by licensed hunters. I didn't consider those requirements in my comment about deer kill. And no living person I know slings beer cans off a motorcycle.

I liked Hunter's joke. Reminds me of the husband who had gone fishing and complained to his wife that she was supposed to pack him some extra underwear. She said, "I did, I put them in your tacklebox".
  • If memory is worth a hoot at all, I think Mich claims something like 750,000 deer kills. I don't know if that includes the several I used to kill each spring as they ate the new bean shoots faster than I could run the cultivator through them. I suspect it does not.
  • Although I probably shouldn't tell y'all this...Tennessee has a road-kill law in effect that allows a driver to retrieve whatever they hit with their car and take it home to eat without going through the fish and game wardens. Makes driving alot like grocery shopping - I just have to find a way of explaining why I have angus stuck in my bumper.
  • Do people in TN drive around in Hummers with 'cow catchers' on the front of their vehicles? Or, maybe, the new pickup from Navistar? Can you drive off the road to hit a prime steer?
  • I was at a luncheon Tuesday and a guy's name tag on the other side of the table said he was a Limousine breeder. Can we fit this post in the discussion somewhere?
  • I hate to sound like a city slicker, but how do you breed limousines? (assuming that limousine in the south means the same as does in a city.)I sure hope you can answer this question without be censored.