More politics

From a blog:
"France was stunned last week when the Islamic Army in Iraq kidnapped two Frenchmen. The outspoken pacifist nation believed its opposition to the U.S.-led war and its lack of troops in Iraq would protect it from such hostage situations."

France is discovering the Neville Chamberlain approach really doesn't work.

Comments

• 33 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • The whole world is stunned by the killing of all those children in Russia a few days ago. What's the number, one-hundred-fifty something, with hundreds of charred, as yet unidentified bodies. This cannot continue to be 'just us' against terrorism.
  • I heard 330 bodies, 1/2 children, and the number is still climbing. I also heard that the thing fell apart when a number of the Chechnyans began disputing with the leader of the group - saying they did not know children would be used as hostages - in order to keep order and establish firm discipline, the leader of the group caused two of the suicide belts to explode and made an example of a couple of the more vocal Chechnyans. It was those explosions that led the Russian's to think they had started killing the children and that it was time to go in and save whomever they could.

The mindset of these terrorists is so far removed from anything I can fathom - there will be significant hell to pay for this one. Hundreds of thousands of Russians are gathered in Red Square today and Putin is making a lot of noise.

It will be interesting to hear what the Bush and Kerry camps respectively say about this one.

Retired General Tommy Franks words ring particularly true today. "Fight em here or fight em there, make no mistake, we will fight them. I choose to fight them there." That's not an exact quote, but pretty close. I agree with him and this tragedy in Russia is a grim reminder of several hundred of the reasons why.
  • Hopefully, France won't feel compelled to jump in and help now. IMHO, they haven't been a reliable ally since WWII.

I think that with regard to the Russian tragedy, the terrorist community in general, and the separatist Chechens in particular, are about to find out just how formidable an opponent Vladimir Putin is - I know I wouldn't want to be on his bad side.

Speaking of Chechnya, if they want to break away from the Russian Federation, why doesn't Russia just let them? I never have understood that.
  • Along with the dead children in Russia, I too, have been wondering if those same people who criticize Bush for the war in Iraq are still bashing him? Do those same people still insist that we should stay out of the fight on terrorism? Not be proactive? Don't know if any of those people have connected the dots yet.
  • Seems as though the French went and left the scarf law on the books. Oops! They are following an historic pattern of conciliation which the rest of the world recognizes as defenseless groveling and, in so doing, make themselves a very inviting target for cowardly terrorists. Terrorists are like coyotes. They smell out a weakness and then come at you from your weak side; never head on. The more cowardly and frightened you become, the more hungry for your death they become. Spain and France are learning this hard lesson. (Maybe "learning" is too strong a term here.)
  • Experiencing once again without long-term learning.
  • Marc that quote is close enough, and it is what makes me believe this is a one issue campaign - and it ain't the economy this time - it is national security, and JFK is absolutely the last guy I want protecting me. Fight 'em any where but here ought to be the mantra. I also think Bush was right the first time, and should have elaborated: the war on terror is unwinnable, the best we can hope for is to keep chasing them around the world and off balance enough they cannot do serious damage to us here. I am a life long optimist, but on this issue I can really see no reasonable hope of a satisfactory outcome - only the hope of keeping them away from us. In that regard, GW (and the isiots in the congress)need to do more to stop the ridiculously porous borders and open invitations to mayhem - or we may not survive the next decade!
  • Shadowfax, doncha think that if we were a little more "sensitive" in our war against terror, that the terrorists would react more positively!
  • >Shadowfax, doncha think that if we were a little
    >more "sensitive" in our war against terror, that
    >the terrorists would react more positively!

LarryC - Just how "sensitive" were the terrorists when they flew the planes into the WTCs and the Pentagon? How about the all the embassy bombings or taking small children hostage? Sensitive???
    I think not!! What are we to do? Tell them that if you will quit this ugly stuff we'll serve you milk and cookies? When I was a kid and we had a fox get in our chicken coop a couple of times and killed several laying hens, my dad wasn't too sensitive. He sat beside a tree outside and when the fox made another appearance, BANG! No more lost chickens. Then there was a new fence and traps set up for any other sly foxes that had a notion to get to the chickens. All this talk about sensitivity, not spanking kids, not talking roughly to them ...hogwash. My dad as well as I lived by the motto.."Spare the rod and spoil the child" and I turned out pretty good and I have three wonderful sons who are none the worse for wear and have not had to go see a shrink because I spanked their little behinds or made them go to their room or hollered at them to be quiet and made them do it.

No, I personally don't think that the United States of America or any other nation needs to show any "sensitivity" to these unsensitive terroristic animals that threaten our freedom.
  • Hey, Popeye, my man!!!! Cut back on the spinach for awhile. I was merely being facetious with my comment about sensitivity. Sorry my sarcasm didn't drip through enough. You cut my to the quick! I'm on your side. Go after Brutus, Bluto, or whatever his name is. Leave me alone!! I WAS KIDDING!!
  • Sorry I went off and thanks for setting me straight. We have an individual here at work that DOES feel that we need to humor everyone give them their mild and cookies and then the world would be a better place. Given the fact that just yesterday this EE was spouting off, I only read "agreement" in your post.

Have a great day and do eat more spinach.
  • Since joining the forum I'm eating more pork and more spinach, but no MILK AND COOKIES, thank you very much.
  • I know, I know! I'm afraid we just have too many cultural deficits to appreciate the logic and utility of kiling innocent babies in support of the goal of _______???? So, since it's impossible for me to understand their perspective, I'll opt for Don's view of de-sensitiving their hemmoroidal tissue with a strategically placed RPG.
  • Perhaps, now, more people will begin to "get it". It really is and has been for quite some time simply a matter of them or us, there or here. And I continue to say my choice is them and the place I choose is there.
  • I predict in less than a week notable liberals will be in the news saying that Spain's train bombing and the slaughter in Russia were actually reactions to America's oppressive foreign policy and our capitalistic pre-occupation.

Sensitive is how you describe hemorroidal tissue, not war strategy. x:-)
  • Don, you knew I couldn't let this pass. Us liberals are as horrified by terrorism as you conservatives. Frankly, I don't know what the solution is. However, I do know that killing innocent people is wrong. I do know that killing innocent people to take revenge for a terrorist act is wrong. I recognize the right to defend ourselves...but the military cannot be the only way to end the problem. (For historical reference, see Viet-Nam, the continuing problems on the West Bank and Gaza Strip.) All the present government seems to be doing is getting more and more people angry at us. There has to be a better way. However, no matter what, as long as you have people out there who do not respect human life (their own or others) terrorism will not go away. The question is how do we reach out and work with those who hate the acts of the terrorists but agree with their goals. Going it alone is not working and will never work. It will only make things worse.
  • Group response, although often desirable, is not a necessity. There comes a time, as is true currently, when you have to 'go it alone'. The alternative is that we would be engaged by the invisible enemy full time right here within our borders.

Engaging more passive countries around the globe in sensitive conversation and touchy-feely strategy deployment conversations and the perfect harmony of Kum-By-Yah while drinking French Purified Water is not going to mean one whit to terrorists. Their objective is clear. I am not aware of any US military action/presence in Gaza and the West Bank. Democrats got us into Viet Nam and kept us there for over 10 years. Republicans got us out. Viet Nam, notwithstanding John Kerry's mantra, is not the issue 35 years after the smoke cleared there. The issue is the dead bodies in the twin towers and 350 funerals in Russia this week, and those that will surely follow for a long time to come. The issue is not the Pol Pot regime or Cambodia or our failure in pushing back Communism during the Tet offensive 35 years ago.

People who herd themselves into groups always have and will always kill other groups of people who are herded together in other places and military machinery is the only, ultimate practical defense to that reality. Songs, chants, hands clasped together or raised in signs, cardboard painted with words, well-populated oak conference tables nor cobwebbed tanks will do anything other than aid and abet the enemy.

One of the first goals of the liberal, Democrat party is gun registration in this country. One of the secondary goals of that group is gun confiscation and reduction of our military machine. Those who would kill each and every one of us and totally and completely erase our society anxiously await those possibilities.
  • Hey Whatever, I feel the same way you do. I am horrified by terrorism, I haven't had a decent night's sleep in 3 years this coming Saturday. But I also ask myself if killing innocent people to catch a few terrorits is the answer. Which begs the question - is there an answer? I know we can't sit back and do nothing. But I also don't like the idea of lying for justification to invade Iraq. I can handle being told that our troops are going in because Saddam is an a**, we all can agree on that. But the "WMD", and I use the quote marks sarcastically, where are they?

Other countries have been dealing with terrorism for ages. We'd been touched by it before 9/11 but not to the magnitude as others had been. Now that we have first hand knowledge, everybody's got an opinion. I think we're still on a learning curve with this. Is there a correct way to deal with terrorists? Probably not, since no one has been able to at any point in history.
  • A "Few Terrorists"? My God! Although there are several tapes of him contradicting himself, there are at least three of Kerry and the other Democrat leaders saying that the information at hand did indicate WMDs existed and that Sadaam had to be brought down. It's really a tiring mantra, this droning on about Bush lying. Sadaam was paying $10,000 US dollars to each and every family of a dead bomber. That's reason enough. He harbored, he aided and abetted and he conspired. He broke agreements, he shot at US planes patrolling a UN designated no-fly zone, he killed a million of his own people and he planned to launch missiles into Israel, a staunch ally of my country. He was dangerous. He was connected to Al Khada and Gadaffi and Iran and ultimately the Saudis who are behind most of it financially. I'm no historian or geography person, but I'm convinced we did the right thing and that it had to be done and that we would have been far worse off had we not had the current leadership. And that Sadaam no doubt had and still has hidden WMDs. But, what the hell if he did not? Makes no difference.

My fate and that of my grandchildren, if I ever have any, rests on whether or not the discussion will change from 35 year old smoke and mirrors to a full discussion of Senator Kerry's actions, votes, remarks, and switches over the past 20 something years. Not whether 'W' got a dui or smoked pot or got assigned chump duty or whether Kerry was despised or slung a medal.
  • Let me see if I understand you correctly. We should have gone after Sadam because he associated with the Saudis (according to their business partners, the Bushes, the Saudis are our friends and allies.) We should have gone after Sadam because he associated with Gadafi (last I heard, George W. had declared him a friend and ally). We should have gone after Sadam because he would have attacked Israel a staunch ally (last I heard they had a spy in the Pentagon). Do not misinterpret the previous sentence, I strongly believe that Israel as a nation should exist in peace.
    My fate and the fate of my grandchildren rests on
    whether or not there will be a full discussion of George W. Bush's actions, votes, remarks, honesty over the last 20 years.

Finally, there is an old expression "Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it" and that is exactly what I see happening now.

• Please send me any information you have on George Bush's votes at any time in history or notes you have regarding his honesty, remarks and actions over the past 20 years. I would really like to review that information so that I may make a thoughtful comparison with the public record of the Senator's votes, remarks and comments.

Neither of us will change the opinion of the other. I just hope (and dare to pray) that there are more of 'us' than there are of 'y'all'.
  • "Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it" - George Santayana

Santayana was one of the first modern day naturalists. He also supported Mussolini (but I couldn't find any record of his opinion of Hitler, but his silence and the fact Mussolini and Hitler were allies speaks volumes). Unfortunately, for Santayana he discovered too late that Mussolini was not the great savior of Italy and he ended living the end of his life in exile with a group of Catholic nuns in Italy unable to leave the country to return to the US or to Britain. His quote is used often, but we must keep in mind Santayana's wisdom was limited. And don't forget the context in which he made the statement - I believe it was relative to WWII.

As long as evil leaders such as Osama, Saddam, Hitler, Mussolini, Pol Pot, Stalin, Napoleon, etc exist, we will have to repeat history. The trick is dealing with these people in a way that effectively solves the problem at any given time. We have rid the world of Sadam, but obviously others as bad have filled his void. Some day Osama will be gone, but he will have a replacement. Initially, in the late 30's Britain went it alone against Hitler and Mussolini as would by the side with our head's in the sand. France caved then too. Other European countries played the Chamberlain card. By 1941, the US woke up and joined Britain. I for one am glad Britain had the courage to take the selfless and lonely stand that they did in 1938.
  • Few in contrast to the civilians who died - yes.

I'm not debating your point that Saddam had to be brought down, of that there is no question. The man is a maniac, as were his sons. My issue with this is not a Bush vs Kerry sparring match, spare me. I think they are both idiots and we're screwed no matter who wins in November. My problem, and what I was trying to convey, is the implication that being on the liberal side of things means that I somehow feel sympathy for terrorists or don't want to see them die slowly. Thats crap.

The president wants to blow a country off the map? Fine, who am I to stop it. Just be a man for Pete's sake and tell me thats what you want to do. Don't play into my fears to get my support, I've lost enough sleep.
  • "How do we reach out and work with those who hate the acts of terrorists but agree with their goals?"

I can't think who that might be.

"Going it alone is not working and only makes things worse."

The worst thing would be to do nothing, alone or not. You conclude that it's not working, but consider the more dire consequence of doing nothing at all. Standing with a group has always been easier. Just because the numbers start to fall off, it's no reason to drop all arms; that's a certain loss.
  • To anyone who truly believes there are no, nor ever have been any WMDs - are you kidding? I'm not trying to be a smart-aleck, but seriously - the man has VX gas, mustard gas, other various gasses & toxins & uses them freely. You don't think he had or was working on anything worthy of being called a weapon of mass destruction?

Whether you believe the WMDs are/were there or not - read "Saddam's Bombmaker" by Khidhir Hamza. Mr. Hamza is the exiled Iraqi who was in charge of that country's nuclear programs. You guys talk about having nightmares? This book is what gave them to me.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-09-04 AT 12:06PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Hating terrorism - agreeing with their goals, is a plaatitude I can accept to a degree. For example, Palestine should have their own place, a goal I can accept. We no doublt all (libs and rights) hate the violence which accompanies the goal, but it means not a whit, largely because it is only a partial statement of the goal - the goal is to have their own place a place that presently belongs to someone else who intends to keep it. I have mixed feelings about the way Isreal was forced on the Palestinians after the war - did the UN have a plan to win the war? Apparently not. And just what is the goal of the terrorists? I confess I really don't know, and I suspect it is a different goal depending on which region or cell you reference. But if the goal is to rid the world of infidels, then I do not appreciate the goal and accept the loss of innocents to defend ourselves. And what about our goals? Do the terrorists agree with our goal of maintaining freedom and respect for alternate thinkers? Orderly transition of power? Respect for women? Duh? I don't see our goal as in conflict with theirs, but theirs is assuredly in conflict with ours. And for the life of me I just do not comprehend how anyone really believes just saying please and thankyou and how could I accomodate your needs accomplishes one damn thing in todays world. OUR VERY SURVIVAL is the issue and it is the ONLY issue. Terrorists do not believe in detant nor peaceful coexistgence. Their goal is them or us, and those are the ONLY choices. If we do not understand that simple fact, we are doomed indeed.
    One more thing. It is totally incomprehensible to me that we are having this discussion on the eve of the anniversary of 911. I know of nothing this country did to justify, ligitimize or in any way make understandable what terrorists did on 911. Nothing. And to suggest we are being insensitive to their needs or legitimate goals just makes me crazy. I still have trouble believing what happened even when I see the tapes. And I refuse to accept blame for their conditions - real or imagined, and I most certainly will not agree with their goal if its accomplishment involves my anniliation. I yield the soap box.
  • Shadow, at one time I shared your opinion that the Palestinians should have their own land. But, looking at the root of the Palestinian cause, I no longer accept that as viable. First, many of the leaders of the Palestinians, including Arafat, are not Palestinian - they are "imports". Their true objective is not a separate Palestine, but rather the obliteration of Israel. Funny, none of the other Arab countries are willing to give up any of their land for "the cause" in fact they will not even grant the Palestinians asylum. Many true Palestinians live in peace in Israel and even have representation in the Jewish Knesset. The instigators of terror are those bent the destruction of Israel. A separate Palestine run by the Arafats will just be one more enemy of Israel.
  • > It is totally incomprehensible to me that we are having this discussion on the eve of the anniversary of 911.

Today's date may be part of why I am having such a hard time expressing myself and why I am becoming so frustrated and emotional. There is a guy who travels around with a bell in remembrance of the victims of 9/11. Yesterday it was around the corner from me, in front of the park which houses the statue of Paul Revere, in view of the Old North Church. Said park is right next to the fire station and I could see the raw pain on the faces of my firefighters as folks were invited to ring the bell.

As I drifted off to my night of sleep for an hour/up for an hour, I could hear the bell gonging over and over. It sounds very similar to the bell the Catholic church rings when a parishoner dies. Not a great way to fall asleep but I figure I'm lucky to have woken up as healthy and free as I was yesterday so how can I complain?

I know I am too young to appreciate alot of what has happened in the past- the wars, the politics. I can only go with whats in my heart.
  • Folks, the war on terror is now world wide. That's right, we are in World War III.

This war will not be won by taking moderate stances, regardless if you are a liberal or a conservative. Terrorists are extremists who live by the extreme and it must be our resolve that they die by the extreme. In the previous two world wars, negotiation, appeasement, underestimating the enemy, and sensitivity had no effect and they will have no effect here either. Waiting before we get the world's "OK" before we respond is a moderate stance and will get us killed. To quote Whatever, " Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it."

• The war on terror is similar to the war on drugs in that it will never end. Containment is the goal. As depressing as it sounds it's true.

If you pay close attention to Putin's remarks following the horrible incident in Russia...you will see that he blames much of it on the US. Apparently, we granted asylum to one of the Chech rebels that Russia considers to be the most dangerous (perhaps a Jack of Diamonds in Russia's deck).

My point is that one nation's terrorist is (or could be) another's freedom fighter. While we will never agree on global terrorist standards...we should work as much with our allies as possible. The more cooperation we have, the more likely we are to prevent the migration of those that would bring harm to our nation or another.

And I'm forced to comment on the "sensitive" issue again. I really do not believe that Kerry meant a "warm fuzzy" kind of sensitive. I believe he meant "more aware". We all know that these are not easy decisions, especially when the lives of our service men and women are at stake..I hope that the decisions are being made based upon the best information available...not just upon doing what you said you would--even when the situation calls for a change of course. I believe that this is what Kerry meant.

Don. no one is taking your guns! The ban on assult weapons is set to expire...and will likely not be reinstated anytime soon... x;-)