SHOVE IT!!

The comment by Miz Heinz-Kerry is interesting. I've heard a few people on radio say, 'So what, that doesn't mean anything other than 'push it aside'. What a hoot! Are there any among us who do not know that 'Shove It' means nothing other than 'Stick it up your A**?". That's exactly what it means. At least Cheney smiled and said it felt good. This airhead denies the recorded comment and heads for the Vodka bar. Not a good sign of things to come. x:-)

Comments

• 37 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • That was exactly my interpretation. She flat out denied saying what was recorded and that she clearly stated. And she denied it several times. And still has not acknowledged her "mistake". Yet, she and her friends call Bush a liar. Interesting.
  • "And still has not acknowledged her "mistake". Yet, she and her friends call Bush a liar. Interesting."

Hey, Ray. Democrats haven't cornered the market on stupidity, you know. There's room for Republicans, potential first ladies, children of presidents who smoke dope, boorish brothers who get a brand of beer named after them, the list goes on and on. x;-)

• I still have a can of Billy beer unfortunately it's empty.
  • As of this morning, she was no longer in denial. She was rather minimizing the intent, saying that it basically means 'Oh well.' Come on now. She is distraught at the thought that if her husband becomes president, his agenda will be so loaded that she may have to attend church alone.
  • I have absolutely no problem with her saying "shove it". Hey, there are times we all have said something to that effect. But the idiot was taped saying un-American. Her denying it was ludicrous. All she had to say was that by un-American, she meant not harmonizing with the USA or its people.

Was that hard? Now she's in a pickle. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)
  • Interesting that she was born in another country.
    She would be the second foreign born first lady if Kerry gets elected. For trivia's sake - Who was the only other foreign born first lady?
  • Martha Washington - she was born a British subject as was George.
  • Wrong! Martha was born in/near Williamsburg, Virgina. I said foreign born. Keep trying.
  • I am so relieved that she was born in another counrty. I heard her speak for the first time a few nights ago and thought "Now what kind of ridiculous accent is she trying to affect?" Phew- its natural...
  • I did not take her "shove it" as "stick it up your...". But even if she did mean it that way so what? The reporter was from an obnoxious right wing paper and he was trying to trap her by making something out of nothing and/or twisting what she said. I say more power to ya, Teresa! Gotta love strong women!
  • I don't really care that she said or how she intended it. Fact of the matter is she DID say it. What she did wrong (initially) was to deny she said it when it was clearly captured on film and replayed over and over on the news.

In my opinion a strong woman would have stepped forward and owned up to what she said; had the conviction to stand up for her own words.

Just my opinion.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-28-04 AT 10:57AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Yes, she DID say it. Just as the Vice President of the United States, in open session, told a senator to go Cheney himself. Now I ask: Which is the more egregious error? A (currently) private citizen, frustrated with reporters, blurting out a comment that can be read in a family newspaper? Or a public official who holds the second highest office in the land telling a colleague to go himself and then to appear to be proud of having made such a spectacle of himself?

edit: I do agree with everyone else, however, that her biggest mistake was in not owning up to the comment. Thought I'd throw that in there before I get pilloried with the "that's-not-the-point" comments.
  • But, you are also forgetting that just before her "shove it" comment, she pleaded for more civility. Can you say hypocrite? A truly strong, gracious person would have handled the situation differently.
  • To correct you; Cheney's remark WAS NOT in 'open session'. He was leaving a podium with activities over; however, a mike was still open. His remark was made privately, he assumed. The goober from Vermont has harassed and slandered Cheney for over a year. He's lucky he wasn't punched out. And lest we forget who among this crowd was the first to utter the "F" word during this campaign, it was Lurch himself.
  • I stand corrected. Thank you.

Doesn't diminish the fact that the man who is a heartbeat away from the presidency obviously cannot control his emotions enough to act in a dignified manner.
  • I think republicans are just looking for anything and everything to criticize and/or find fault with any democrat. And yes the democrats do the same thing to the &%*&% republicans. It's all so petty.
  • I actually blame the media more than I do the parties themselves. If the media didn't glom onto petty issues such as these, they might actually have to report something significant.

Okay any media types out there. Bring it on!
  • If I spoke off the cuff and could recall verbatim every word I said, I'd be pretty impressed. She frequently strays from her written remarks...and at the moment she was confronted may not have realized what she said.

The other factor that may have been only covered with any significance in Pennsylvania,is that the paper the reporter works for has consistantly misquoted her in the past. If not by using different words altogether, but by turning her words into a different meaning.

I can imagine that the frustration level is high.

Besides, well behaved women rarely make history. I think Mae West is responsible for that one.
  • I think Tony Kessler and I are the only journalists around to defend our trade today. Unfortunately, just about any nincompoop can call themselves a journalist and have a talk show, TV show, or website. And some of them hurt the image of the reputable journalists (yes, there are some) who cover national politics fairly.

Journalists -- especially TV and radio -- focus on the sensational stuff because it gets good ratings. Period. People love to watch public figures lose their cool or make embarrassing gaffes. If people really cared that much about substantive issues, then C-Span's ratings would go through the roof.

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • What's the old journalism expression, James? "If it bleeds, it leads?"

Journalism is a noble profession, and I have respect for (most) of them. And it could be worse - you could have been a lawyer. x;-)

But oh, how we miss Walter Cronkite!
  • I'm gone one day and come back to discover that there is a whole thread devoted to the use of a five letter word. You would think that all of those individuals concerned about family values, leadership qualities etc. would be more concerned about the use of four letter words.
  • No wonder I was taking such a beating. You weren't around to help, Whatever. I expressed righteous indignation over the "shove it" vs. "f-word off" comments a few posts up.
  • Sorry. x:'( I'll try to remember the next time I'm planning to play hookey to notify you.
  • Would it have changed many opinions if she had said stick it and he said screw you? I opine it would not.

Parabeagle has it right on the media, sorry James. It’s always the spin of the day and it doesn’t matter if the issue, or spin, if you will, involves politics or other ‘stories’. How many of us have been misquoted by the media, I have been several times and now refuse to give an interview because of past mistakes, printed as quotes that the media refused to fix. The next interview I give will involve money (a lot) or my mouth is shut.

• I guess no one cares who the first foreign born first lady was!
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-29-04 AT 11:58AM (CST)[/font][br][br]I do, but not enough to research it, I was hoping some of our history experts on the Forum would tell us the answer.

OK, here it is, Louisa Adams
  • Personally, I'm already tired of all the politics and there still the REPUBLICAN Conv. to go through not to mention all the pre November election ads!
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-29-04 AT 01:30PM (CST)[/font][br][br]I love the wopsided analogy that because it was 'a right wing newspaper' and a 'reporter who was hunting some spin' and 'they had previously misquoted somebody' (who knows those things?), then her reaction was appropriate, as if she had a clue who the guy was in that lurch of people. Then, according to that analogy, since Leahy had for a solid year berated and slandered and tried to trip up Cheney, then Cheney's remark must have been appropriate. Hey, I appreciate the fair and balanced.

Cheney did not lose his cool or react emotionally or become frazzled or defensive as Miz Teresa did. He looked the man in the face, smiled calmly and said, "F*** Off!" and walked slowly past him. No other two words in the English dictionary could have possibly been more appropriate at that particular moment.

• I'm not one to cuss since my mom gave me a nose bleed for saying a 4-letter word when I was about 5 yrs old.

However, IMHO, we forget that they are human after all; prone to the same fits and failures as the rest of the intelligent, wealthy, public figures covetting the #1 position in the country.
  • I received this today in an email. Thought it was pretty interesting...

JOB APPLICATION

NAME: John Kerry

RESIDENCE: 7 mansions, including Washington, DC, worth multimillions.

EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
    Law Enforcement. I voted to cut every law enforcement, CIA and defense bill in my career as a US Senator. I ordered Boston to remove a fire hydrant which I considered unsightly, in front of my mansion, thereby endangering my neighbors in the event of fire.

MILITARY:
    I used three minor injuries to get an early discharge from the military and service in Vietnam (as documented by the attending doctor). I then returned to the US, joined Jane Fonda in protesting the war, and insulted returning Vietnam vets, claiming they committed atrocities and were baby killers. I threw my medals, ribbons, or something away in protest. Or did I? My book; Vietnam Veterans Against the War: The New Soldier shows how I truly feel about the military. I deplore the military!

COLLEGE:
    I graduated from Yale University with a low C average. Unlike my counterpart George Bush, I have no higher education and did not get admitted to Harvard nor graduate with an M.B.A

PAST WORK EXPERIENCE:
    I ran for U.S. Congress and have been there ever since. I have no real world experience except that of a gigolo, by marrying rich women and running HJ Heinz vicariously through my wife Teresa.

ACCOMPLISHMENTS:
    As a US Senator I set the record for the most liberal voting record, exceeding even Ted Kennedy and Hillary Clinton. I have consistently failed to support our military and CIA by voting against budgets, thus gutting our country's ability to defend itself. Although I voted for the Iraq War, now I am against it and refuse to admit that I voted for it. I voted for every liberal piece of legislation. I have no plan to help this country but I intend to raise taxes significantly if I am elected.

My wealth so far exceeds that of my counterpart, George Bush, that he will never catch up. I make no or little charitable contributions and have never agreed to pay any voluntary excess taxes in MA, despite family wealth in excess of $700 million.

I (we) own 28 manufacturing plants (Heinz) outside of the U.S. in places like Asia, Mexico and Europe. We can make more profit from the cheaper cost of labor in those Countries, although blame George Bush for sending all of the jobs out of Country.

Although I claim to be in favor of alternative energy sources, Ted Kennedy and I oppose windmills off Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard as it might spoil our view of the ocean as we cruise on our yachts.

RECORDS AND REFERENCES:

None.

PERSONAL

I ride a Serotta Bike.

My Gulfstream V Jet I call The Flying Squirrel.

I call my $850,000 42-foot Hinckley twin diesel yacht the "Scarmouche."

I am fascinated by rap and hip-hop and feel it reflects our real culture.

I own several "Large" SUVs including one parked at my Nantucket summer mansion, though I am against large polluting inefficient vehicles and blame George Bush for the energy problems.

PLEASE CONSIDER MY EXPERIENCE WHEN VOTING IN 2004