Odd ball relatives

Now that we have spent some time with our family this Christmas, I was wondering if I'm the only one with oddball family members?

My Mom and I were discussing how she raised me and my brother and either she was very progressive, or very weird, or both.

Gifts we couldn't get as children, per my Mom (not that I necessarily agree with them) :

1. Disney movies- in the old disney movies the girl always gets saved by prince charming. (think Snow White or Cinderella) Mom wanted me to save myself and be self sufficient, so out those went.

2. Coloring books- stifles creativity to have to draw within the lines. Blank paper is what we drew on, no coloring books.

3. Plastic dishware, fake kitchen appliances, fake vacuum, etc- I couldn't have these because she didn't want me to train as a young girl to be a domestic.

4. Barbie- no one will every look like that, and why give a child a doll that she can never look like? (I can only imagine what she would say about the new line of dolls called Bratz, or as me and my friends call them, hootchi mama's)

5. Guns of any and every sort, including water guns- the end result of guns is to kill something or practice killing something, so why give it to a child?

Do you have any odd quirks like that in your family?

Comments

• 37 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • x;-) Just kidding!

Yes, my uncle was an oddball - he thought we were rich - spoke with a very upper crust type of accent, wore tweed jackets & commented on how he knew some of the children from the Nordstrom family. Meanwhile, back in reality land, he did go to school with a couple of the kids & everything else was a fabrication in his mind - he was also a successful salesperson - maybe this is where it came from - the salesman ego - Argh!
  • This reminds me of a time when a large group of extended family was at Six Flags. There were so many of us, we were getting split up on rides. My teenage daughter said, "I want to be with family. I don't want to be with strangers." Her aunt looked at her very seriously & said "Honey, there's nobody stranger than family!"

Its a common joke at our house when we think some family member is being wierd.

• Re your number 5: My folks had no problem giving we kids (us kids?) toy guns (this was in the 1960s). My sister-in-law, however, was appalled and would never let me bring my arsenal with me when I went to visit she and my brother. Marx Toys made the best ones: A camouflage Thompson submachine gun that made a rat-a-tat noise when you pulled the trigger; a chrome Colt 45 automatic, a pair of Lone Ranger six-shooters...

Aaah, the fond memories x;-)
  • My dad made a rubberband gun out of wood for me when I was about 7. I got my first .22 rifle when I was 12. I never once thought about using it on a person or animal. It's all about how you are taught to use and respect certain things.

You can watch Disney movies, play with Barbies, shoot guns and still be taught the difference between reality and fiction.

Anyway, I think my family will say I'm the oddball in the family. I'm the only Conservative in a family full of liberal Democrats.
    And this includes my wife's side of the family too! It makes family get togethers a lot of fun! There are so many times I just have to bite my tongue.
  • re #5 - there were two way around not being allowed guns - 1)use your index finger as the gun and your thumb as the trigger or 2)cut a big piece of stale rye bread to resemble a gun.
    If you haven't figured it out--my parents weren't the only ones with quirks in our house.
    The worst was my grandmother who was an terrific seamstress. Unfortunately, she liked to make clothes for us --skirts out of my father's old ties, pants for my brother cut from my father's and uncle's old pants (the kid was only five at the time), blouses from old old sheets and towels. Loved her dearly but was very grateful she didn't live nearby to make sure we wore her clothes.
  • I too grew up playing with toy guns. But, after attending college in the waning days of the VietNam war and seeing what war was all about, I did develop some pacifist views. So, when my boys came along, it was "no guns allowed" until they were old enough to understand what they were playing with. Does that make me quirky?
  • Now Beagle, if you truly were not the evil twin you would have said something like, "Of course you are not quirky, Ray".
  • Didn't say a word, buddy. Mom always taught me that it's better to keep one's silence and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

Wait a minute... I didn't mean to use that one.
  • No, it justs means you're not from Texas. (I was going to say the South, but that would get me in trouble).
  • I thought it was only the in-laws that were the odd balls? Actually, this reminds me of the radio commercial that says "honestly detective, I don't know what happened. They were all homeschooled!"
  • I had a cousin named "Gino" who used to wrap up $20 bills at Christmas for all the kids who came to visit. 'course, he also packed a gun and didn't mind others seeing it when he had his jacket off (he was a detective).
  • Oh. Okay. I'm glad he was a detective. For a second I thought I was going to find myself on the verge of offending the Mafian-Americans. x;-)
  • For all I know, he could have been that, too!
  • I have to add an addendum to my list...

1. In college I rented all the Disney movies that I could to see what I missed.

2. I love to color with my daughter, in the lines for me! (She is lucky if she hits the paper)

3. Well, I can't cook...

4. I bought a Barbie for myself just to see what all the fuss was about. Guess you really have to have them as a child...

5. My brother ended up after college making guns out of parts, he became a real gun nut for a while.

I always told her that the toys we couldn't have and the fact that I never was "presented" at a cotillion were the reasons I ended up weird. :)
  • It's like dieting, remove everything you like that is bad for you and you crave it even more to the point of excess and gain weight. Eat it in moderation and you eventually "grow out of it" or don't eat as much and lose weight.

My mother never really limited the things we could have, but aren't all relatives a bit "oddball", including ourselves? My sister has this thing with her children and the word "stupid". It went so far as to have them stop watching any kid shows that used that word regularly and anyone coming to visit has to be careful not to use it. 8-|
  • It's no wonder people have no clue about gun safety when they talk about using their thumb for the trigger finger. I'm as much amazed as saddened.
  • I don't think that's quite as bad as making a gun out of a stale piece of rye bread. With or without caraway seeds?
  • I agree it really is weird...but it is a lot safer than a child playing with the real thing.
  • You are not alone!!!!

We were also not permitted to have guns of any kind. I have carried this through with my Step-kids....

We never watched Disney movies either...although I'm not sure why. After I was older, I realized that they are littered with adult humor (that kids never get) and they are pretty entertaining for all involved!

I had barbies, but my parents made it really painfully clear that real people don't look like this and they were plenty excited when Barbies started to come with real jobs, although by that point I'd well outgrown the barbie thing.

I'm sure that we had some strange rules growing up...but none of them are coming to me now...

• My first movie was a Disney movie - my parents took me to see "Lady and the Tramp" when I was about 4.

My two younger brothers had more than their share of cap guns, squirt guns, plastic machine guns, etc. It never occurred to me that there was anything untoward about playing with toy guns until my mother sent me to the dime store to buy a birthday present for my brother to take to a friend's party - I bought a GI Joe weapon of some sort, and Mom refused to send it to the party, because the birthday boy's father was a minister and she was afraid it wouldn't be appropriate.

I never had a real Barbie - too expensive - but did have the cheap knock-off called "Miss Babette". However, when Midge came along, I did get her. Had no end of fun designing clothes for them, but was always frustrated that they couldn't stand up on their tiny plastic high heels!

As far as oddball things go, I remember one summer day when I was about 12 complaining to my mother that I was bored. Mom, a former English teacher, handed me "War and Peace" and told me to diagram the sentences. Believe me, I was NEVER bored in front of my mother again!
  • I don’t know if this is the proper place for this but here goes. Last year I bought my son a paint ball gun, (real), for a present and it is a blast, pun intended! My father taught me how to clean, shoot, respect and honor a real gun and I have done the same with my son. My son now knows how to defend himself should the need arise and knowing that he has great respect for a firearm is comforting to me.

Now, a paint ball gun is a real gun used for play/practice. For those who don’t know, it has a round projectile that is basically paint and the force that propels this is carbon dioxide. While there are clubs and organizations that hold war games with these, we do not participate nor have the desire to. I believe a paint ball gun could be an unsafe toy for some, if not used properly or with no supervision however, at my son’s age (15) he was past ready for it as I taught him how to shoot a 22 rifle when he was five years old.

No NRA membership here, just a love of the shooting sport.

• Growing up, my parents were of the "Ralphie, you'll shoot your eye out" persuasion when it came to guns that actually fired projectiles. Could have all the toy guns we wanted, but I was 14 before I ever got my first pellet gun. Four years later, Uncle Sam gave me an M-16 rifle and actually PAID me to play with it. x;-)
  • Not a big gun lover personally, but have no problems with those who use appropriately and safely. . anyway, Safety, you will like this paint ball gun story. our property backs up up to a tree farm, the tree farm to a hunting club. .very wooded. 'bout scared the you know what out of me one morning when I heard a pop, looked out my bedroom window to see "men" in total camoflouge (sp) stalking in and out of the trees in my back yard!! It was only a few days into the latest war and I really did have a flash that we were being invaded! My dear neighbors son was one of the culprits and she did ask them to not come so near property for fear of scaring the old ladies to death!
  • We tried the no gun thing for our son. Just didn't like the idea of a kid running around pretending to shoot people. He of course built them himself out of Lego.....#-o. That was a good lesson in the futility of trying to control the world around my kids.
  • I have two toddler boys, have no guns in the house, only see the occasional gun on TV, and somehow my boys have figured out how to make a gun out of just about any material: peanut butter sandwiches (eat one corner and you get a gun shape) hands, legos, remote controls for toy cars, torn paper, styrofoam blocks with a corner ripped out, etc. Their gun play doesn't bother me a bit, but I do hear about it if they do it at preschool. Some other parents can be offended by it, and it's the Directors responsibility to please everyone, as much as is reasonable.

As kids, my brothers, our friends and I played cops/robbers, cowboys/indians, western bar (the toybox was the bar, I was the bartender), and I don't remember what else. We all grew up to be reasonably responsible adults. Some took longer than others to grow up, however...

Oh yeah, the topic was "oddball relatives", wasn't it? Let's see;
    - Uncle Bryan wraps all gifts in aluminum foil, always has
    - Brother Scott wraps all gifts in trash bags or paper grocery bags, occasionally will decorate the bags with markers
    - Mom and Dad/Uncle Bryan swap the same gift every year: a case of Thunderbird wine. Each year the bottle is passed around for swigs, cap screwed back in so it's fresh for next year
    - My family enjoys writing gift tags in code, and enjoy even more the decoding on Christmas Day. (for example "from cks&w to clm&aj" means "from Cousin Kitties Squeek and Willow to cousins Little Mike and AJ)

x:D

• HRQ, you reminded me, when my kids were younger I would write gift tags from President Reagan (this was back in the mid 80's) and other well known people. They caught on pretty quick.
  • I guess I'm the odd ball relative in my family. I sign most gifts from "Tasha and Cat" thats my schnauzer and cat's names... As for guns I don't like them won't let them in my home and won't go in any home where I know them to be and I raised my daughter that way and she agrees.