Odd ball relatives

2»

Comments

• This whole thread reminds of a quote from some poker gurus that went something like this: "If you look around the table and don't recognize the sucker, you are probably it."

I think that makes me the oddball in our family.
  • Marc, by my quick count, four of us posted today on the forum - on New Year's Day. Is that another indication that we are oddballs?
  • Oddball? Probably. Dedicated professionals? Absolutely!
  • I have a different twist on this one. Not by any means the 'oddball' at the Christmas gatherings; but, the most memorable and the one who always seemed to 'hold it together', was my dad. He went to sleep forever almost 20 years ago. Christmas was our warmest time together as a family and that continued all my life and still is true today. During the holidays and especially Christmas day, Daddy was always there in his casual clothes, his mild manner at 6 ft. 2 and 230, easily embarassed by the personal hygiene commercials blaring on T.V., his warm hugs for everybody, his ability to make everything right, his willingness to get up early and stay up late putting everybody's stuff together...And this all lasted into his era of grandchildren, not mine, but my brother's. I don't have any yet. Dad was the warmest person on earth and especially at Christmas with his sincere smile and his firm handshake. We didn't get along especially well when I was young, but, after I turned 21, I always hugged him when I left his house. Wishing I could do that today. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Daddy.
  • Don,

You brought a tear to my eye this day. My father too has been gone for 13 years and like yours, mine was a very big part of Christmas. I can still remember his almost childlike glee when he was working on his pride and joy trainset that would grace our living room at Christmas time. Even though he was up half the night playing Santa, he was always there Christmas morning to get the turkey prepared and open presents and run his trains. Like you, there was a time when I didn't get along with my father, but in later years after I moved out we became much closer. Unfortunately I didn't have as much of those good times before he went to be with God, but I will cherish those last years with all my heart and soul. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year daddy, I love you.
  • We should never get too old to call our parents "mommy" and "daddy". It takes a lot to make me cry or even get teary, but your last statement at least made my eyes tear just a little bit, Don D.

My parents and grandmother came to visit and headed back to NE today. I am always a little sad when they get in the car to drive away. On the way to drop off my boys at preschool today, Michael (3 1/2) said "we will miss Grandma and Grandpa and Grandma Ag, AND their STUFF, too!" Funny how THAT particular statement made me tear up too.
  • My brother-in-law is homeless. He spent Christmas Eve and day with us and came back for New Years Eve and day.

We hadn't been expecting him and I had fun running around the house finding a few gifts for him. I also enjoy feeding him good home cooked food.

But we really enjoyed his magic. He has become a very skilled magician. Excellent sleight of hand, card tricks, etc. I learned how to do two of them!