Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Michigan. As part of the new and
better contract, I also get longer breaks for milk and cookies, so please
keep that in mind.
However, I am certain that your children will be in good hands with your
local replacement who happens to be my 3rd cousin, Bubba Claus. His side of
the family is from the South pole. he shares my goals of delivering toys to
all the good boys and girls. however, there are a few differences between
us---such as:

1. There is no danger of The Grinch stealing your presents from Bubba Claus.
he has a gun rack on his sleigh and a bumper sticker that reads, "These toys
insured by Smith and Wesson."
2. Instead of milk and cookies, Bubba Claus prefers that children that
children leave an RC Cola and pork rinds (or a moon pie) on the fireplace
and Bubba doesn't smoke a pipe. He dips a little snuff though, so please
have an empty spit can handy.
3. Bubba Claus' sleigh is pulled by floppy-eared, flying coon dogs instead
of reindeer. I made a mistake of loaning him a couple of my reindeer 1 time,
and Blitzen's head now overlooks Bubba's fireplace.
4. You won't hear "On Comet, On Cupid, on Donner and Blitzen..." when Bubba
Claus arrives. Instead, you'll hear, On Earnhardt, On Wallace, On Martin and
Labonte. On Rudd, On Jarrett, On Elliot & Petty.
5. "Ho ho ho" has been replaced by "Yee Haw!" And you also are likely to
have Bubbas elves respond, "I heard dat!"
6. As required by Southern highway laws, Bubba Claus'sleigh does have a
Yosemite Sam safety triangle on the back with the words"Back Off". The last
I heard it also had other decorations on the sleigh as well. One is a Ford
Logo with lights that race through the letters and the other is a caricature
of me (Santa Claus) peeing on the tooth fairy.
7. The usual Christmas movie classics such as "Miracle on 34th Street" &
"It's A Wonderful Life" WILL NOT be shown in your negotiated viewing area.
Instead, you'll see"Boss Hogg Saves Christmas" and "Smokey and the Bandit 4"
featuring Burt Reynolds and dozens of police cars crashing into one another.
8. Bubba Claus doesn't wear a belt. If i were you, I'd make sure the wife
and the kids turn the other way when he bends over to put presents under the
tree.
9. And finally, lovely, Christmas songs have been about me like "Rudolph the
Red-nosed Reindeer" and Bing Crosby, "Santa Claus is Coming to Town." This
year songs about bubba Claus will be played on all the AM radio stations in
the South. Those songs titles will be Mark Chestnuts "Bubba Claus Shot the
Jukebox"; Cledus T. Judd's All I Want for Christmas Is My Woman & a Six
Pack", and Johnny Paycheck's If You Don't like Bubba Claus, Shove It."

Sincerely,

Santa Claus
Member, North American fairies and Elves Local #209

Comments

• 17 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Personally, I don't think our contract will allow all of the changes you have described. We need to set a time for a grievance meeting. Please read up on the Weingarten Act because I want you to get everything you have coming to you.

By the way, did your Reindeers have antlers or not?
  • Toots, is it really your post or did your evil twin take over? Sounds like Beagpuss because it may his relatives pulling the sleigh.

I have one question. What's wrong with a gun rack on the back of the sleigh?

• Hmmm.... I don't know where that post came from. I agree it does sound more like Beagle than me. Must be Beagle has figured out how to hack into the forum using my name.

Gun racks are fine, I have one in the back window of my Caddy.
  • I take exception to the spurious comments being made about me and the unfounded allegations of posting something derogatory to the fine people of the Southern US (I hope my SO in Alabama is reading this). Only an East Coast Yankee like Ray is capable of such treachery.
  • Having followed the Menorah thread with great interest, do you suppose there are Southerns who might take offense to this? x}>
  • Sonny, I was expecting someone to complain. Once before I joked about the south and someone flamed me. But, most of you know me well enough to realize I'm harmless. Besides, this story was forwarded to me by a friend from Chattanooga, TN - right near the Georgia border, a good ole southern boy.
  • Not complaining personally, just wondering . .
  • We'll see....

On a serious side, should we avoid posts that "may" be offensive to someone, providing they are not personal? I think Don had an excellent post on the Menorah thread about going too far with being offended. Look at all the posts where women refer to men negatively. If I were to complain that I was offended, what would the reaction be? My guess, I would be flamed for being so sensitive. If I posted something that was offensive to someone because I hit a nerve unknowingly, I would immediately delete it. Don must be working for a change today, otherwise he would have commented by now.

And Sonny, I knew you weren't complaining. I trust if you had a real problem with a post of mine, you would let me know with no uncertainty.
  • "posts where women refer to men negatively"

Well, I won't start on the little woman thing x:D

And your comments were sort of my thoughts and no, look what we would have missed on this forum if we did not post on all the things to which someone might have taken offense. In those posts where there is male bashing going on, if you or anyone is offended, I do think they should speak up and NOT be flamed ie for being too sensitive. I feel some do not speak up for fear of being flamed strongly and I do think that is sad.

I guess I had been :-? , what if the joke was about a religion or ethnic group vs. a culture? It would never fly. .and while I did not personally take any offense, I am more sensitive to the Southern culture since living here. . was just wondering if any of the born and rasied did.

No big deal, really, just sort of babbling away here to avoid doing Safety minutes. .

• I was born and raised in the South to a typical southern family who refers to the Civil War as "the recent unpleasantness" and I laughed like crazy. I copied it and will send it to several friends as well as relatives, even the ones in the asylum (all southern families have a crazy or two!). Thanks for the humor Ray!

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • Margaret, tell me you're kidding. They refer to the Civil War as the "recent unpleasantness?" Really??
  • Well, it's not quite that bad. However, my family really does resemble a cross between a Tennessee Williams play and a bad Faulkner novel. We consider a holiday a major success if no one bleeds from a major artery or loses a limb. If I had a dollar for everytime my mother (the Alpha Steel Magnolia) has said, "Nice ladies don't...." I would not be working today! My grandmother (who just passed away this year) would not permit you to use the words "stink," "hose" or "toilet paper" in her presence because it was "common" to do so. So to this day, I use the word "stockings" to refer to panty hose and when I did her grocery shopping, TP was written discretely on the list and not to be discussed at all! Think Miss Pitty-Pat out of Gone with the Wind and you'll have a good picture of my grandmother. Regardless of my ex-husband's many faults, my grandmother was always grateful that he saved me from becoming "a maiden lady" when I married him at the ripe old age of 29!

Welcome to the South. We're well-mannered, but wacky!

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • I appreciate your comments, Sonny and I we do seem to think much alike. (Hope that doesn't offend you with my reputation. x;-) )

There is line that should not be crossed, the problem is we don't all draw the line at the same point. Thus, someone is offended when others just see humor. I agree, jokes about ethnic or especially religious groups can be in very poor taste and should be avoided. And even ethnic representations can be a problem. For example with the tension in the world today, I would not post a story like the one above about people of middle eastern decent. Too volatile.

There have been posts that I have found offensive, but did not say anything. Not out of fear of being flamed, just didn't think it was worth making a fuss over. Maybe, the bigger problem is trying to convey the message in writing, like this. The emotion icons help, but it is still very hard to portray the spirit or mood of the poster. It is easy to misread someone and come to a wrong conclusion about what they are saying or worse yet, about them personally.
  • I'm curious - does this include the Southwest? And Ray, you bring on the wrath of Don if you don't capitalize South!
  • She's not kidding, Ray. I got a flaming e-mail from Don once when I inadvertently neglected to capitalize South. You fail to capitalize at your own peril. To paraphrase Margaret, "they're well-mannered, but wacky." In Don's case, I think we can forget the well-mannered part. x;-)
  • I've stirred up enough trouble already. Leslie if you want to be included you can, if you want the Southwest excluded, I'm fine with that too. I'm surprised Don hasn't flamed me already. I sometimes have trouble with hitting the cap key, so it was completely inadvertant.