Are you a fan of the 80's?

I grew up in the 80's and never miss a chance to see a good 80's movie or listen to the All-80's radio stations. If you're like me, you'll love this list!

YOU KNOW YOU GREW UP IN THE 80's IF...
1. You've ever ended a sentence with the word "PSYCHE".
2. You watched the Pound Puppies.
3. You can sing the rap to the "Fresh Prince of Bel Air"
4. You wore biker shorts under your skirts and felt stylish.
5. You yearned to be a member of the Baby-sitters club and tired to
start a club of your own.
6. You owned those lil Strawberry Shortcake pals scented dolls.
7. You know that "WOA" comes from Joey on Blossom.
8. Two words: M.C. Hammer
9. If you ever watched "Fraggle Rock".
10. You had plastic streamers on your handle bars.
11. You can sing the entire theme song to "Duck Tales".
12. When it was actually worth getting up early on a Saturday to
watch cartoons.
13. You wore a pony tail on the side of your head.
14. You saw the original "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" on the big
screen.
15. You got super-excited when it was Oregon Trail day in computer
class at school.
16. You made your mom buy one of those clips that would hold your
shirt in a knot on the side.
17. You played the game "MASH" (Mansion, Apartment, Shelter, House)
with friends at school.
18. You wore Jordache jean jacket and you were proud of it.
19. L.A. Gear.....
20. You wanted to change your name to "JEM" in Kindergarten.
21. You remember reading "Tales of a fourth grade nothing" and all
the Ramona books.
22. You know the profound meaning of "WAX ON, WAX OFF"
23. You wanted to be a Goonie.
24. You ever wore fluorescent clothing.
25. You can remember what Michael Jackson looked like before his
nose fell off...
26. You have ever pondered why Smurfette was the only female smurf.
27. You took Lunch Pales to school.
28. You remember the CRAZE, then the BANNING of slap bracelets.
29. You still get the urge to say "NOT" after every sentence.
30. You remember Hypercolor t-shirts.
31. Barbie and the Rockers was your favorite band.
32. You thought She-Ra and He-Man should hook up.
33. You thought your childhood friends would never leave because
you exchanged friendship bracelets.
34. You ever owned a pair of Jelly-Shoes.
35. After you saw Pee-Wee's Big Adventure you kept saying "I know
you are, but what am I?"
36. You remember "I've fallen and I can't get up"
37. You remember going to the skating rink before there were
in-line skates.
38. You ever got seriously injured on a Slip and Slide.
39. You have ever played with a Skip-It.
40. You had or attended a birthday party at McDonalds.
41. You've gone through this list occasionally saying "This wasn't
from the 80's!"
42. You remember Popples.
43. "Don't worry, be happy"
44. You wore like, EIGHT pairs of socks over tights with high top
Reeboks.
45. You wore socks scrunched down.
46. "Miss MARY MACK MACK MACK, all dressed in BLACK BLACK BLACK"
47. You remember boom boxes vs. cd players.
48. You remember watching both "Gremlins" movies.
49. You know what it meant to say "Care Bear Stare!!"
50. You remember watching Rainbow Bright and My Little Pony Tales"
51. You thought Doogie Howser was hot.
52. You remember Alf, the lil furry brown alien from Melmac.
53. You remember New Kids on the Block when they were cool.
54. You knew all the characters names and their life stories on
"Saved By the Bell", the ORIGINAL class.
55. You know all the words to Bon Jovi - SHOT THRU THE HEART.

Comments

• 67 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I don't know if I'm so much a fan of the eighties as I am a victim! I look back at pictures of myself and think "What the heck was I wearing and why was all my make-up purple?"
  • Did you wear the button down shirts with the collar standing straight up? What about two shirts at the same time? I can't believe that was cool. Big hair, big earrings . . . I can't wait for that style to come back. I still wear my tennis shoes like high-tops occasionally, with the tongue in front of the pants leg. What a geek.
  • I did long shirts over leggings, with high heels, and tights underneath in a very contrasting color. I had about a hundred pairs of costume earrings...ugh. I found a picture of myself wearing a hot pink long shirt, as a dress, with hot pink tights under black lace leggings and spiked heels- I looked like a radioactive street walker!

Then I got into the 80's punk look and I looked even crazier!
  • We should have a scrap book of our 80's looks, your description sounds great! Leggings was a great craze, when I had the legs for it. I still have the earrings, can't seem to throw them out! Love those large colored earrings! My daughters get a charge out of wearing them, (but not outside of the house!).

The posters I had on my wall were Michael Jackson and Prince. Shaun Cassidy was a big thing back then too!

I'm going home to look through my yearbooks!
  • I was a Culture Club fanatic! I had scrapbooks filled with Culture Club pictures from Teen Beat, Tiger Beat and when I got more sophisticated, Rolling Stone.

Maybe I'll post the hot pink photo...NOT!
  • I still have my Culture Club record album, (my daughters love to sing along wiht "Karma Chameleon"), and I also have KC & and Sunshine Band, Michael Jackson's Thriller, David Soul, The Knack. Oh man, I can't wait to get home and start up my record player!
  • Speaking of big hair and yearbooks.... I looked through my old yearbooks lately, after my husband's 15 year reunion, and I couldn't believe the number of girls whose hair was so big it wouldn't fit into the frame of the picture!

At the time I was so jealous, I have very fine hair, and so the big hair look was beyond my capabilities. Big sigh.

I did have the multi colored parrot eye shadow though. Maybe that's why I prefer neutral colors now!
  • Mjindra, my kids would connect with this list. I remember Alf. Everything else makes me go... Huh?
  • If you loved the 80's you MUST watch "I love the 80's" on VH1. It is a fun, year by year frolic through the decade. You'll spend the entire series saying to yourself "I DID that !!" I watch it with my 13 year old daughter, who just looks at me in disbelief that her very uncool mother ever owned such cool clothes or listened to such cool music.
  • That is the best show! For one half-hour episode it's 1983, then the next half-hour episode is 1984, etc. We've actually sat through a couple hours in a row. I love it! The music and the fads, it's so great to relive that!
  • WOW! That was great. The good ol days! My kids look at me and ask" how could you?" Hey it was the times. Some great times.
  • Yes, it was a fun era. Though I look at some of the clothes and cringe. unfortunately, VH1 did a really poor job on "I love the 70's" which is more my generation.. I was disappointed in that series. HOWEVER, I think they've started or are about to start a new '80's series again!!! yea! more flourescent clothes and BIG hair, and George Michael swinging his stuff :)
  • I'm with Ray on some of it...lived a lot of the cartoon stuff through my sons. However...Bon Jovi and George Michael??? Strictly adult stuff! :oo
  • I am so, like, freaking like totally out right now! I totally remember being that cool! K
  • hey! Did you see "I love the 80's Strikes back" last night? more great stuff. Many memories (Magnum PI - a very YOUNG Tom Selleck; Rolling Stones -Tattoo You tour - an already OLD Mick ).
  • Oh, that list was great! Although I still can't think of what show Fraggle Rock was. It must have been on cable...we didn't have cable growing up. I laugh so hard when I think of the 80's, definitely had the best music!!!
  • The 80s just makes me think of marriage, domesticity, climbing the corporate ladder, boredom, oh.... wait.... x;-)
  • Yeah, marriage, giving birth, divorce...marriage again...not my favorite decade but anything was better than the 70s, that decade was just a blur
  • To paraphrase the old expression: If you can remember the 70s, you didn't have a good time. x;-)
  • Loved Fraggle Rock! It was on HBO and my sister and I thought it was the greatest show ever. We would always wait for it to come on , and then sing along and clap with it...very catchy tune!
  • Fraggle Rock was on HBO - part of the Muppet family. It was great! I didn't miss an episode - Gobo, Wembley, Boober, Red, the Trash Heap......

I was also a HUGE fan of Strawberry Shortcake & the Smurfs!!! This thread is definitely bringing back memories!
  • I am a true 80's girl. I identified with everything on the list, although I never actually owned some of the stuff.

--My record collection includes Madness, Tom Tom Club, B-52's, Depeche Mode, Madonna, Hoodoo Gurus, and the list goes on.
    --I folded in the ankles of my jeans before rolling them up.
    --I wore ankle boots. The slouchy kind. With two pairs of slouchy socks.
    --I always wanted a pair of camouflage pants.
    --I wore a t-shirt over two polo shirts, with both collars up and the sleeves rolled up. All in different colors.
    --I wore THREE colors of eyeliner: teal and blue, with BLACK on the inner lid area. (Joan Jett style)
    --I wore pink lipstick so frosty that it looked white
    --I REALLY wanted to look like Belinda Carlisle.
    --I wore wayfarer sunglasses. Really dark ones. Risky Business-style.
    --And the BEST (or worst?) of ALL - I had the back of my hair cut into squares (don't ask) and a friend had hers cut in v's with the middle "v" bleached white-blonde.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane, mjindra! xB-)
  • Oh, that reminds me of my rat-tail. I had short hair for awhile, but grew out the rat tail and braided it. How funny.

I'm not sure what you mean by folding your pantslegs in before rolling them up, BUT, I can relate to the "wearing a couple shirts" fad.

How about the ear cuff, wearing a clip on the edge of the ear, not a piercing though.
  • Ok, here is a lesson...You pinch your pants at the bottom, fold over your pant leg at the bottom, and roll it up 2-3 times, depending on how many colors of socks you were wearing that day! We always called it the "French Roll" Not sure why, it is really a pinch roll...
  • I forgot about the cuff. Yes, I had several.

I also have three ear piercings on the left, two on the right. A friend had a bunch of piercings (maybe 10?) around the entire edge of her left ear. Hate to see what her ear must look like now. Those holes don't fill in very well!
  • I had the long tail too, braided, and I used to buzz cut my own hair. I could never do the big hair thing so I rebelled against it entirely. I did at one point have a mohawk that I managed to get to stand on end using egg whites and school glue. My mother was not pleased.

Rolling your pants up was called "pegging" your jeans, atleast in Boston it was. You folded them close to your ankle then rolled into a cuff. They had to be Z. Cavaricci or Girbaud, no other jeans were acceptable. My brother was into that whole look.

I had the ear cuff along with multiple ear peircings. Wow! The things I forgot.
  • Everyone one of these brought back some great memory! I am a true child of the 80's (born in '78) and also rememeber the fact that EVERY girl had BIG, BIG hair! I have naturally curly hair, and my hair was famous. Very long, no spiral perm needed, and about 14 inches off the top of my head, thanks to RAVE 4 and a blow dryer. Then, I would put on my IOU or GUESS shitr and jeans, roll my jeans a few times, color coordinate my socks, and off I go!
  • Somehow it troubles me that there are people on here who were BORN in the 70s... definitely beginning to feel old. Pass the Geritol, please.
  • I was born in 1969, so I can still be an 80's girl but not born in the 70's like those darned kids today. x;-)
  • Okay, HRQ. Close enough, anyway. It's you and me against the kids, bud. x;-)