Songs I hate!!!

I usually have my radio on at work, but I can only tune in one station clearly, a local "light" station. It usually drowns out the voices in my head, so even if I'm not too fond of the music, it's a good distraction sometimes! But I swear, if I hear that Nora Jones song "Don't Know Why" one more time, I am going to scratch my eyes out! Is there a song that drives any of you nuts?

Comments

• 91 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Anything by Barbra Streisand or Sam The Sham And The Pharoahs.
  • Anything country, I know, Iknow there are some talented country bands but it is just not my style. I recently heard a song about a six pack of beer.
  • ...But I'll bet it didn't make you want to shoot up a school, sell off your sister, shoot a cop, put a ring through a body part or pretend to fly from a tall building. Most of the country music I enjoy involves a 12-pack. x:-)
  • Ditto. Always felt that if I were ever elected King I would build a fence around Nashville to keep the music from leaking out. x;-)
  • Usually it doesn't bother me to listen to songs that I don't care for, but there are 3 songs that I absolutely cannot tolerate -- 99 Red Balloons (I don't know who sings it, but I think it's from the '80s), Call Me Al by Paul Simon, and Tom Sawyer (?) by Rush.

Actually, any song by Rush is pretty much intolerable! th-down
  • Aw come on, Neil Pert is on of the best drummers ever!
  • Just goes to show you that one person's champagne is another's poison -- I love that song, Call Me Al by Paul Simon.
  • Beagle I'm with you. Paul Simon's Graceland is one of the best records from the Eighties.
    I know this may cause an uproar, but when a Beatles song comes on the radio I usually change the station. Also most songs by Whitney Houston make my skin crawl.
  • Also enjoyed Live Rhymin' from the 70s.

Cher is the one who makes MY skin crawl... can't stand her whiny voice.
  • I love the 'You can call me Al' song too! It reminds me of my college days! Have a good day!
  • Nina (i think) sings 99 Red Balloons - and on the other side of the 45 was the same song in German. (99 Luft Balloons - or something like that, I don't speak german, but it sounded pretty cool when she sang it)

Tammy
  • Hey..listen to a good RUSH jam and half the day has passed!
  • What do you get when you mix country music with rap music?

Drum roll.... Crap music.

Actually, "country music" is a contradiction in terms. x;-)
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-21-03 AT 01:48PM (CST)[/font][p]Lets hear for Kid Rock!!! Ohhh Yah!!! I'm really not a fan but....
  • I was going to chime in and say I can’t stand any and all rap songs but then I realized I don’t consider rap to be music, just as some have expressed their distaste of country music. To each their own, what a great country we live in!

I also have to say I have been a professional musician for over 30 years and have performed all types of music, some types I liked more than others but performing was always enjoyable. I have to say that I, like some of the posters, used to have a great dislike for country music due to my teenage years and my then young mind full of mush. As a musician I have learned that the roots of country music can be found within the blues archives and now some new branches of country are more rock than country. As with all other types and styles of music there are a lot of country songs both new and old that I can’t stand to listen to and refuse to play as a musician. However, there are some great country songs out there and to name one I would say Mr. Jackson and his “Where Were You When The World Stopped Turning” song, I get chills just thinking about it.

For Parabeagle, I attended a conference in Nashville two years ago and was thrilled to go to a free concert at the Wildhorse Saloon. No, it wasn’t country; it was Jethro Tull and the Edgar Winter Group, wow what a great time. So, not all the music scene in Nashville is country.

Oh yea, back to songs I hate, who let the dogs out would be close to the top of the list.

• attended a conference in Nashville two years ago and
    >was thrilled to go to a free concert at the Wildhorse Saloon. No, it
    >wasn’t country; it was Jethro Tull and the Edgar Winter Group, wow
    >what a great time. So, not all the music scene in Nashville is
    >country.

So there are places in Nashville with good taste in which acts to book, huh? Nice to know. x:-)

• I'm pretty eclectic, so don't really hate much. Even find some interest in the dreaded rap, though it is probably my least favorite.

The only songs I LEARN to hate are the cutesy ones where they start out fun and then it seems EVERY RADIO STATION ON THE FACE OF THE EARTH plays it at least once every 15 minutes.
  • I feel the need to jump in here and tell you that all forms of music are recorded here in Nashville. Forget Sun Studios in Memphis. Almost everything Elvis recorded was done here in Nashville. Oh and by the way, the Beatles used to fly in here in secret to record and then fly back out because of the quality of the musicians you find here. Our symphony has been asked to play in London. We're not all country music. We're music period. Our musicians play everything!

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • I agree with Safety - I can't stand what I call RapCrap. Anything by Eminem or any of those groups that promote violence. I know all about the First Amendment but come on isn't there a limit of how far one can go?? Some of these songs contain lyrics about murdering their spouse and killing others. What kind of messages are we sending to the youth of today??

I'm not a prude or anything but I sure miss the days of when there seemed to be some common sense used in the entertainment business. This would include TV.

Give me Van Morrison any day!
  • Yeah, but if you think about it, controversial, violent lyrics have been around for ages -- from my generation, for example, The Doors "The End," and The Stones "Sympathy for the Devil" -- while maybe not as blatantly graphic as some of the rappers, they were still chilling for their time.
  • And in my era, it was songs advocating drugs..stoned soul picnic, Mr. Tambourine Man and if rumor is to be believed (which I don't) Puff the Magic Dragon.
  • Anything by Meatloaf makes my ears bleed. Oh, and Sledgehammer by Peter Gabriel is pretty bad too.
  • That Nora Jones song puts me to sleep! It's so irritating, especially when driving. They should put a "warning label" on that song about not operating heavy machinery while listening to her music!

x:D

Other than that, most rap music annoys me.

• I'm certainly glad I don't know that Nora Jones song -- the radio station in my office is tuned to a classic rock station (a little Pink Floyd, anyone?) x:-)
  • The latest issue of Newsweek has an article about the U.S. military using music to break down Saddam supporters by playing Metallica and the theme from Barney. Here's a link:

[url]http://www.msnbc.com/news/914527.asp[/url]

Actually, whenever anyone complains to me about having a song in their head that they just can't get rid of, I always recommend humming the Barney theme. Just about guaranteed to banish any other music from your mind. Of course, the cure's usually worse than the disease...

Brad Forrister
    Director of Publishing
    M. Lee Smith Publishers

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-21-03 AT 02:33PM (CST)[/font][p]As much as we hate to admit it, we have become our parents. At one time people said Elvis was the devil now its Marilyn Manson. Who knows, maybe one day they'll be playing Marilyn Manson on the slow rock station and we'll all say I can't stand that song....
  • Funny you should say that, that we're turning into our parents. My dad is a professional musician, and he always called (and still calls) my music "manure music" - I love AC/DC and Aerosmith the most. Dad says it's just noise and crap! But you know, since I started this thread this morning I've been noticing what's on the radio all day, and man! There's a lot of bad music out there! Help! I'm turning into my parents!!
  • Growing up my father always made us listen to "Blue Grass". I hate it to this day ( maybe with the exception of Allison Crouse).. anyway... he's done a complete turnaround. Since my brother's band starting playing covers for AC/DC, Aerosmith (I like them too), Metallica, etc. my father loves them now and rarely listens to "blue grass". I'll take turning into my parents on this one!!x:D
  • I REALLY hate the Kid Rock and unknown woman singer song about three days on the road....picture of you....I'm with someone else.....

Some people have hailed this as "The Love Song of 2003" but why? It's a song about two people cheating on each other. Everytime it comes on - the radio goes OFF.

Zanne