Scuse me while I kiss this guy...

Comments

• >I'm sure there's a song out there somewhere that sounds like the
    >singer is saying "deep fried turkey" but it's really something else.
    >
    > Don, I haven't had the privledge of having deep fried turkey, YET,
    >but may I suggest that you post your recipe on the forum and for those
    >of us who would like to try it, do, and then repond with our opinions
    >if we feel compelled to do so?
    >My mouth is already starting to water thinking about deep fried
    >turkey, I feel like Homer Simpson..."mmmmmmmmm, deep fried turkey".
    >And I think this will be another thread that'll hit a hundred posts.

I think HRSage has issued a challenge! Will this thread rival the other? HRSage, I think your idea has some merit...although, I think we should have Don cook all the turkeys and then send us some to try. x;)

Either that, or we all crash Don's place and force him to cook some up. Hmmm, maybe Don should open up a restaurant...Don's Place...Don's Deep Fried Eats...Don's Forum...

What are your suggestions Forumites? What should Don call his restaurant, I just know some of you out there are very quick with the wit...Like James S, Gillian, Parabeagle, DJ, Ritanz?? I know I'm forgetting others with the quick wit!

x:D

• How about Don's Dead Turkey??
  • >you'd be amazed what goes through here. .... There are many things that may be said about the Forum, but one of the things you can't say is that it's boring. x:-)

Wasn't there once a play or movie titled, "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum?" Seems VERY fitting........

• Got me to the surfin' the net! It's a 1966 film with Zero Mostel, Jack Gilford, and Buster Keaton in his second to last role.

"Based on the Broadway musical comedy, this farce set in Ancient Rome follows slave and scam-artist Pseudolus (Mostel in a signature role) as he attempts to win his freedom by brokering the sale of a virgin. Sondheim's score adds to the appeal. Recently renewed its popularity on the stage with Nathan Lane in the lead."

Sounds very un-HR to me!

• >Sounds very un-HR to me!

But how were the ratings? Perhaps it was a turkey!! x:D

• Don, I'm sure you are right in that it's healthy for you, depending on how you cook it, but it would require an effort to deep fry it. Considering that I don't cook for Thanksgiving to begin with, I don't think I'll have much luck convincing anyone whose house I go to to cook it that way. Guess you'll just have to send me some Don.

x;)
  • >Deep Fried Turkey...whatever that's good for.
    >
    >I'm insulted. Send me your email address and I will send you the
    >writeup on how to deep fry a turkey. It carries with it an absolute
    >guarantee that you will never want one any other way.
    >trilogydd@aol.com

Does this writeup include turkey fries?
  • My recipe also includes this instruction: In Arkansas, removing gravel and fries from road-kill is optional. But, I'll save all I collect just for you. How would you like them sent?
  • As a mis-placed Arkansan, I remember that is how we could tell if the ecomony in Arkansas was good or not.... by the number of dead chickens and turkeys along the side of the road. If there were a lot, the economy was good, if there were few to none, the economy was not so good. "Chicken truck, chicken truck, just my luck on highway 71" If you have been "stuck" behind a chicken/turkey truck driving trough the Ozarks in Arkansas you know what I mean.
    Have a great day,
    Dutch2
  • Is that how Clinton feels, misplaced??
  • Rather than being behind a slow moving chicken truck in the winding hills of Arkansas, I'd rather be stuck behind a hearse carrying Clinton. Stone me if you will. Just couldn't help myself. Don't send Secret Service though.
  • So Don, oh wise one, tell us why it is that people in the south deep fry everything? Is it just certain parts of the south? Or all of the southern states in the USA? And do y'all deep fry anything and everything or are there foods you wouldn't ever? This northener who hasn't done much of any travel would love to know more about this great US of A!!
  • Hey HS, I'm in Arizona and we see deep fryers for turkeys everywhere (including our garage!). So I guess it's the south in general - except maybe southern California. Might be tough to deep fry tofu...
  • Okay Leslie, I'm going to have to object now. I'm a native SoCal guy and I do not do tofu! No Way! In fact I can't think of anyone I know that eats that stuff. And Don, you obviously haven't had REAL Mexican food, taco bell doesn't count. My grandpa used to have his own Mexican restaurant and he's converted quite a few non-believers to the fine tastes of Chile Verde (pork butt in green chile sauce) and other highly fattening foods. You'd probably like the mexican dessert of fried ice cream too.
    Out of curiosity, I've heard that sometimes when you deep fry a turkey that it could blow up on you if you're not careful with the oil. Any truth to that?
  • First, I am disinclined to respond to someone who would leave the word South uncapitalized. So, you have been admonished. We don't fry everything to my knowledge. I would not fry some things while sober. Like the testicles of any animal and snake meat. With Jack Daniels, perhaps. I don't eat many things raw like you might, except oysters and I will challenge you there. I also smoke lots of foods and grill out maybe 3 times a week. Whole pigs slow cooked in the ground for 18-20 hours will knock your toes in your watchpocket! This is a famous bar-b-que tradition at most championship events. I detest Mexican food or anything real spicy, cannot abide hot peppers, and stay away from everything Italian except a lady I know in the neighborhood. Generally I don't eat tomatoes or high acid foods. See, so you probably eat lots of things I do not consider eating. (Gotta watch these yankees Leslie).
  • >First, I am disinclined to respond to someone who would leave the word
    >South uncapitalized. So, you have been admonished.

Don, I am so sorry for my fauxpaus! I am still learning. x:)

(Gotta watch these yankees
    >Leslie).

And just what is it that you have to watch Don?

• >Like the testicles of any animal...

Don, Don, Don, don't knock unless you've tried it!!! Mountain Oysters aka calf testicles are my favorite meal! =P~

• I got in when I saw the "Scuse me while I kiss this guy" because I thought it would be a humorous quip on office romance - you know, an HR topic. But I was taken down the classic rock road of oldies but moldies and got educated on interstate cuisine. Hmm. I love deep fried turkey, by the way. Remember the old 70's quote "you are what you eat."

• These forum strings are about as fluid as they come and, in 50 percent of the cases (or thereabouts) actually stick to the subject -- however... I forgot where I was going with this. Sorry. x;-)
  • Yes, I remember people telling me that in high school; but, it never deterred me in the least.
  • Don't forget to throw in a few beer battered & deep fried mushrooms. (Those you find yourself if possible)
  • >Remember the old 70's quote "you are what you eat."

Apparently, you haven't heard the revised version: "You are what you 'read!'"

(Consider yourself warned...).

• Well, I read "I'm OK - You're OK." I didn't like it. It's for insecure people. I believe you shouldn't dish it out if you can't take it.
    Soooo - I'm in!
  • I was at a Karaoke bar on Saturday and realized I had been singing the wrong words to a very popular song for some time now.

My version "...you don't know what youve got till it's gone, A pink paradise, put up a parking lot"

The real version

"They paved paradise, put up a parking lot..."

I felt so lame, but the song makes much more sense now!
  • April,

First off, congrats on your first posting! Welcome. You've come to join quite a crowd here. We certainly know how to 'yuck' it up, as well as getting serious and down to business when necessary.

That song you're referring to, I think it's the Gin Blossoms, not 100% sure though. A pink paradise...no wonder you were confused about the song. Just goes to show that what you hear, you always seem to hear until someone corrects you, or you see it in print. And these recording artists make so much money to mumble! LOL...

Reminds me about mis-hearing the Pink Floyd song (from the Wall) where the little boy, with the English accent says, "Look mummy, there's an aero-plane up in the sky". I could have sworn for the longest time he was saying 'No plane'. The way his english accent comes thru, and how clipped the word 'aero' is...My friend insisted it was aero plane...and kept repeatedly playing it till I finally heard aero instead of no. One has to really listen I guess.

Anyway, welcome again and we all look forward to April Showers posting again soon!
  • Joni Mitchell - Big Yellow Taxi...
  • I don't think it was Joni Mitchell. Wasn't it Melanie?
  • The version I have listened to was sung by a woman, but it is a popular song, so it could have been performed by many different artists. Im definately not an expert on the song though, I can't even get the words right!
  • I've looked it up and see references to Joni Mitchell and Bob Dylan. But the recent version is by Counting Crows, featuring Vanessa Carlton. (not the Gin Blossoms as I earlier thought - they all sound alike!)

Here is the site with the lyrics!

[url]http://display.lyrics.astraweb.com:2000/display.cgi?counting_crows..big_yellow_taxi..big_yellow_taxi[/url]

It's a really good song, never heard it before this myself.

• HS-
    Thanks, I will check it out. Maybe the lyrics will give me a clue as to why it is named the big Yellow Taxi!
    April