workplace noise

What recourse do I have if an employee works in a cubicle and is bothered by radio noise on both sides? This employee has difficulty concentrating with music in the background especially since all those in this department work on the phone with customers the entire day. Is there anything within the law pertaining to this?

Comments

• 19 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I don't know that there is anything "in the law" about this, but certainly the employer has the right to set guidelines for the work environment, provided the rules aren't illegally discriminatory against those in a protected class. Limiting or eliminating radios in the workplace seems fine to me.

Probably in fairness to all, you might want to consider banishing all radios, or at least all in the department/cublicles/whatever, so that everyone can work without the "noise" rather than just this group of 3. (Probably not a legal issue, but one of common sense and general workplace fairness with everyone in this department being on the phone "all day".)
  • we permit our ee's to use headphones. This works well in our clerical areas...

• Where I work, only one person is allowed to have a radio, me. But, it's tuned to the weather channel for emergencies. Nobody in the manufacturing environment can use headsets. I've worked in companies that did allow them in private offices only, but not cubicles. I agree with the first response.

Speaking of irritating background noises and conversations, I cannot imagine what it is going to be like when people are allowed to use their cellphones in flight. Some imbeciles in airports will yak on the damned phone 24 hours a day at the top of their voice. There will be a run on earplugs for sure.
  • I'm going to reply to your very first question about what your recourse may be. It 'should' be so simple. I would say to the employee "Ask them to turn their radios down so that you can't hear it." That's one of those things that should never come to HR. We hire adults and they should be able to communicate and be considerate. They should be able to work together and figure out how to get along without you coming up with the solution. No supervisor or anyone else should get involved unless they can't resolve it themselves. If that's what I'd have to do, I'd go over to the cubicles and say "Kindly turn your radio down so it doesn't bother . . . " I wouldn't go as far as banning all radios.

• It's called work for a reason. There is plenty of time outside of work to listen to the radio or watch TV. It's the mentality of laziness working here.
  • I guess it depends on the type of business. It drives me nuts for people to play the radio at work if I can hear it. Then, what if someone wants to have a small TV at their desk? I say the office is for working. They should have graduated from the "music while I study" syndrome. Sorry if that sounds a little stiff, but it does bug me.

Linda
  • Radios have no place in a business environment. Unless you have a private office, there is no way to turn it low enough so that no one else hears it. Also, if you are on the phone, you should be listening to the person on the other end rather than the radio.
  • Thank you again. I agree also!
  • What about my turntable and collection of 45s?
  • We do have some of our ees that have radios in their cubes but are told that the volume must be set so they can only hear it. This can be done so no one else is disturbed. If it were to become a problem then they would be banned. So far so good.
  • I haven't graduated yet. I'm still more productive when I listen to music at work. I rather enjoy hearing the radios on in other work areas. People look productive to me; unless they hear me coming and pose like workers.
  • In our cataloging department they are allowed radios but they must use headphones due to previous radio noise that bothered a select few. A few also have TV's or CD players but they're for job related functions when they have to review or repair a video or CD. I've got a radio in my office that I keep very low, but I do turn it off for interviews.
  • It mostly does not bother me - one way or the other - as long as it isn't blasting. Exceptions are made for Eric Clapton and Led Zeppelin, but only for a few specific songs.

I do have one EE who will put on a couple of opera CD's early in the A.M. - which isn't bad until she starts singing along. I have had to ask her to close her door for some of the high notes.
  • Marc,

We have a mentality of laziness. But what I can't figure out is: Does the music make us lazy? Or do only lazy people play music at work? I gotta' admit that one day when I was listening to Nora Jones I was walkin' kind of slow.
  • I have read and heard (on the radio) that certain classics can improve mental functions. Some pieces can improve memory, some mental acuity, etc. But some can also put you in other moods that are not at all condusive to producing in a work environment.

I like some of Nora's stuff also, but she does make a bit introspective so work suffers. Unlike Claptons Laylaaaaaa which makes me play the air guitar - which I am quite good at.

Of course, then I harken back to the good ole days and relive some bad ole moments. But, of course I am doing it in the context of HR work ........ somehow?:DD
  • Even when I walk slow I think fast. See? You ought to see me work when I hear Bob Seger and George Thoroughgood! Air guitar, huh? I'd like to see that.
  • Yes, it is the only instrument I can play in tune. When I hook up with someone like Ray playing the bone, others can then actually hear real music. x:D

• I have to disagree w/ "Whatever", that "radios have no place in a business environment".

I'm one of those who has a radio in my ofc.... albeit, I do have a private ofc, and I generally play it low enough that people down the hall are not getting the "benefit" of my music, and so that I can have a phone or in-person conversation w/ someone and we can hear each other w/o straining or shouting. Also, I do play exclusively classical music and NPR news, so there's no raucous stuff coming out of my radio. I have to say, music at work is a major factor in maintaining my sanity in the field of HR and in the particular setting in which I practice that profession.

As to limiting radios in the ofc, though, a couple of points. 1st-- I don't see any legal issue here: as long as the policy is applied consistently, and ER has the right to put reasonable limits on personal music in the workplace....period.

Trying to ban radios outright would probably be a loser-- it'll fail, and it'll generate tons of EE resentment. If people want to listen to music, they'll find a way to do so.... they can play it of the internet thru their computers, if nothing else.

It really seems to come down to an issue of mutual respect in consideration among EEs. The neighbors who play their radios should turn the volume down to a reasonable level so they don't disturb the complaining EE. And maybe the complaining EE needs to be a little tolerant, too. I've encountered people who will complain about ANY decibel level, no matter how low, primarily because they're being attitudinous toward certain/all of their co-workers.

Good luck... this seems to me a relatively easy fix.