Good Friday

I am wondering what other businesses do for good friday. We are getting requests from employees to attend mass on friday afternoon. Of course if we let everone off we would not have anyone left for production. Do we need to let these employee off to attend mass? (I'm thinking we do not have to, but I want to be sure)

Thank,

Spoden, MN

Comments

• 53 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Friday is a regular scheduled workday for us. If an ee wants time off for religious reasons, they may use paid time off. We typically have no more than a hand full of ee's that take any time off for Good Friday.
  • I'll be thinking of you both Friday. This place is locked down on Good Friday. Can you smell my grill yet?
  • Don, I will be counting your posts to the forum.
  • Our company is closed on Friday. It is one of our nine paid holidays.
  • We're off on Good Friday as well but if we were open and employees wanted to attend Mass they could use PTO to do so. We allow that practice for other religious days we are open if someone wants time off to attend services.
  • We will be open, but we are having a pot luck lunch, more so for Easter than Good Friday.

I'm in the south and most of the people in these parts don't celebrate Good Friday (well not that I have met anyway).

In the last company I worked for the CEO was Catholic so we had 1/2 a day at the corp. office. All other offices were open normal hours and ee's had to use ETO if they wanted off.
  • It's a workday for us too, but most requests for PTO will not be denied.

• Isn't every Friday a good Friday?
    My $0.02 worth!
    DJ The Balloonman
  • I thought a variety of times were offered to go to Mass for these kinds of occasions. Even a midnight mass the evening before and sometimes a dawn mass. I thought these were offered so EEs could still practice these religious observations and not have to miss work?
  • Traditionally, there is a 3pm service on Good Friday. It is the last formal service before Easter can be celebrated (after sunset on Saturday). As an additional point of interest, this year, Easter is the same for the the Eastern and "Western" Christian churches - this does't happen very often.
  • Yes, you do need to accommodate a request for time off to observe a religious holiday, or be in violation of Title VII. The only way around that is if the accommodation would pose an undue hardship on your business.

• Yes, every Friday IS a good Friday! We're closed that day, too. Hoo-ray!!!
  • JM in ATL: I live 398 miles west of you in the deep South and everybody I know gets Good Friday off as a holiday.

Marc: Ain't it amazin' how many people turn Catholic when they realize they can get off to attend mass. I'm not Catholic and Good Friday is a Christian Holy Day, not just Catholic. We used to call some people "C&E Christians" - Christmas and Easter Christians.
  • I'm in the south also and we've always gotten Good Friday off. It's always great having that day because usually the weather is great!!
  • WOW! I've never heard of people getting Good Friday off, but sign me up for that.

Don, I've always wondered what constitutes the "Deep South"? Seriously - when someone says that phrase I don't have a picture in my mind of what they are talking about. Can you enlighten me? Also, if one lives in the Northwest US are they considered a Yankee or is that term reserved for those who live in the Northeast? I've always wondered that too. x:-)
  • You really need to visit usadeepsouth.com. There's always an interesting conversation going on there about what constitutes the South. You'll also find some interesting articles and a picture of at least one bottle tree.
  • Hmmmm, maybe I should expand the definition of GDI to include the multi-denominational recognition of all religious holidays, on the grounds that it is a good idea to cover as many of the bases as you can in case one particular one has it RIGHT and the rest is malarkey. That should give a number of additional paid holidays for any given year. Of course, as a junior, apprentice HR person, I would be role modeling diversity and not discriminating against any particular credo.
  • We are also closed on Good Friday, it's one of our 11 scheduled holidays.

(Our second shift, which generally works 10 hours days Monday through Thursday, is scheduled off for Thursday to recognize their Good Friday holiday). What a nightmare.
  • We are also closed on Good Friday. It is one of 15 holidays that we are allowed to close. I'm in the "deep South" as well. Most businesses, other than retail, are closed on Good Friday in this part of the country. Louisiana!

If we would not be closed for this holiday, we would allow our employees time off to attend religous service if a service would not be offered before or after closing time.
  • We are also closed. . interesting for government, I thought. . . I think in part because in SOME definitions we are considered Deep South although those south of here are definitely not deep south. Some of you will understand that, most won't, but don't worry it ain't a simple thing.
  • Without starting a whole new debate, the term "Deep South", in my mind and the minds of many I congregate with, relates to and defines not so much a geographical area, but a state of mind, a pleasant plateau into which one is born and upon which one dies, and the inalienable right to forever hold dear that which God has given you by so designating you Southern. One may move "South", but one does not become Southern. One may sneak into the South, but he never becomes Southern. One may overtake a geographical place, but it will immediately lose its designation of Deep South.
  • Beautiful definition, Don. .I agree and would add not just a individual state of mind but a cultural.
  • This is my first post - and I am truly upset by your light treatment of Good Friday. In case any of you care, Jesus died for our sins on that day. In most churches - certainly all Catholic churches - there is no Mass because Jesus is "dead". There is a religious service at 3:00 and in the evening. Anyone saying they want to go to Mass is not telling the truth. But what upset me was the jokes and "deep south" humor - not the treatment of the honest question from Spoden. I have been reading and enjoying the Forum for about a month now but think I'll just get on with my work. I'm particularly upset with Don D's response. He seems to make a joke of everything. Why do you think you have a day off? Think twice before being so "flip" in the future. Sorry - but I am truly upset.
  • Thank you Val45 - I guess I have to agree with you.
  • Valerie, it saddens me to see your first post is filled with anger. I don't believe anyone was trying to be irreverant. First of all, I don't believe religious faith and humor are mutually exclusive. This is a very important time of the year for many of us in our spiritual lives and no one made light of the significance of this holiday. Second, I do believe Spoden's question was answered, by several posters. The same question has been asked previously concerning non-Christian holidays and was treated seriously and respectfully, if not with some humor added.

It is not uncommon for us to get off on tangents, and that is what happened here. But, the goal was accomplished, too.

I hope you do stop back and join in and realize we are a good group to hang out with, but we are quite diverse in many ways.

• Thanks Ray. I agree and for the record as one of the offenders, I was certainly not meaning to be irreverent and don't understand the offense at the South discussion. For my part, it was in response to JM's comment that in that part of the South, they did not see many who "celebrate". I was trying to point out, apparently poorly, that it is a big deal in this part of the South.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-08-04 AT 09:36AM (CST)[/font][br][br]VAL45: WELCOME ON-BOARD, May you have a Blessed day, week, and year.

Maybe you should read more and research the forum more; please look at the number of postings associated with "Dandy Don", While he may have put some wit or distatesful words to the honest posting of spoden. His first posting on this subject was not "flip" nor distasteful. This is a forum for professional HRs and for the most part we do not personally attack one another, but when we do please do not jump into the "fray" unless you can take the heat. Sit on the side and learn alot, participate with your words and thoughts regardless of what someone else may write. Toss those things aside that you do not care to retain. However, I would challange you to find anyone including myself that has NOT benefitted tremendously from the many postings of "Dandy Don". His experiences are very vast, his words are normally right on, his humor and wit usually score's an A+++ with most everyone.

Please don't leave the forum for we need your input and your insite to issues. Challenge when you want.

TOMORROW IS A HOLIDAY IN MOST PRIVATE AND GOVERNMENT UNITS, BUT IF YOU HAVE TO WORK TOMORROW, YOU CAN STILL WORSHIP AND PRAY FOR THE FORGIVENESS OF THE SINS OF THE WORLD AND WE HAVE MANY.

PORK
  • Val,

Not everyone believes in the same religion. On that note, not everyone who claims to be of the same religion believe the same thing even (think of all of the denominations there are of Christianity, Islam, Judaism, etc).

I am a Christian and I would never think of chastizing other adults for discussing what their company does or does not do for Good Friday or any other religious holiday. Nor would I complain about people being excited about having a day or two off from work, whether it was because of a religious holiday or not. If I was offended by such thing, I would think I would have a very difficult time getting along in life. These people are just talking about their lives, professional AND personal. No one has said anything remotely offensive about Christianity or the holidays associated with it.

If Good Friday is a time of thoughtful reflection for you regarding your beliefs - good for you that is great. Many people share in this reflection, such as myself. However, I'm not going to sit here and tell people they aren't being respectful of the holiday when I 1) Don't know what they believe 2) Don't have any business telling them what to believe or not 3) Don't have any business telling them how they should or should not act according to their or my or anyone else's beliefs.

If someone were to answer the post saying Good Friday was a stupid holiday that only idiots recognize, I would have said "hey that offends me - I celebrate that holiday and what I believe is not stupid so quit being a jerk". But, Val, that was not the case. It was not even remotely close to the case.

We all live in different parts of the country. I have lived in the Pacific Northwest all of my life and I have honestly never heard of businesses being closed for Good Friday. I did not say businesses that are closed on Good Friday are stupid or backwards - I simply stated that it is different here than where Don lives. This interested me because I have never been to the South and find the cultural differences among geographical regions in my country to be facsinating. Thus, I asked some more questions about it. Why and how is this disrespectful to Spooden or the question or to Christianity?

Don doesn't make a joke of everything. He speaks his mind and leaves it at that. I for one find his direct nature a breath of much needed fresh air. Afterall, we are all adults, we are all professionals, we don't need to coddle each other. This is not some tea party where we're all wearing white gloves and politely discussing the weather. This is an HR professional forum where BS is left at the door.

We all work; most of us work pretty darn hard and you know what? Having a day off is a great thing. Just because we're not moping around because of the cicumstances of the holiday does not mean we are disrespectful of a belief system we may or may not share in. Just because the subject is changed in the course of a thread doesn't mean the original poster or subject of the question is being disrespected.

Cinderella
  • Thanks Ray A - but I stand by my first comment. There are some things that just are not funny. I agree you can mesh religion and humor - but Good Friday is not in that category. The only one who answered the question with respect was DeirdreFR5. I wish you all a Happy Easter. V