EEs don't want to morale build

Can a company force EEs to participate in activities designed to team and morale build? And, no there is nothing in our handbook re this. (Do I have to write a freaking policy about EVERY little thing???) Sorry, lost my head there for a moment. It's not been a good day.

Comments

• 32 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Yes, because your company is paying them to work and the boss gets to decide what work is. In this case, it is going to class. No, you don't have to write a policy on this issue. I doubt that many people have one. Maybe your the boss thinks that there isn't much teamwork at the company and this is his or her solution to the problem. Whether it will work is another matter.
  • Hi there,
    I am assuming this is something that is either on work time, or is being paid overtime to attend? We have two training days that revolve around specific training topics we feel our CU needs to work on. (Teamwork, unity, sales and culture, meeting goals, etc.) One day is for Management, who are exempt, and it is held on a Saturday at an offsite location with a speaker brought in and such. To compensate for them having to give up a Saturday, we offer them a floating day off.
    The other is held on Columbus day for all the employees, and on this day we are closed to the public, but require the employees to attend the training. In turn, we are closed an extra holiday (Veterans Day) to show how nice we are! :0)
    Sometimes, you need to give a little to keep morale up when doing things like this, or it really won't do all that much good. Just some food for thought.
  • Pretty good ideas, Trinity. Can I borrow/steal/adapt them to my needs, or do I have to pay a royalty? (And no, I can't get you a steak dinner with Harrison Ford!)

Eric
  • Eric,

I usually charge royalties for all my great ideas, but seeing you write Harrison Ford's name put me in such a good mood, I have decided not to raise a fuss..hmmmm..time to go home and watch "Raiders of the Lost Ark" I think....
    Have a great weekend!
  • Gillian is right, you're paying them, you decide what the day's work consists of. And, you don't need to be sorry about this, we all wonder about writing a policy about every little thing!
  • Feel free to cram that morale down their little throats!

Paul
  • I would just add two itty-bitty things -- based on my (mistaken?) interpretation of your comments that you have more than one or two employees who are resisting.

First, employees needing to be forced to go to a morale/team-building event is troubling. It suggests that the advance work for the event has been weak. The set-up should be that your facilitator works in advance with members of the group to create some degree of openness. When there are already bad feelings, just plopping people into an event without any effective prework is cruis'n for a bruis'n. Could still work, but it is tough.

Second, there is a small number of cult-like "team-building" facilitators whose techniques are extreme as to appear to violate privacy rights and/or religious freedoms. E.g., [url]http://www.rickross.com/reference/forum/forum107.html[/url]

These circumstances are rare, of course. But given that they have occured, if I were in your shoes I would want to make sure I fully understood the employees' objections.

Like I said, just a couple of itty-bitty thoughts.

Regards,

Steve Mac

Steve McElfresh, PhD
    Principal
    HR Futures

• Steve is right Teecee,
    It is hard to force people to build morale, just fire those that do not want to and replace them with some fresh blood. They obviously are not grateful for the job they have, and probably have a pretty poor attitude.
    Okay before I get blasted, I am kidding.......well kinda......LOL!
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • You could always post a sign that reads: MORALE WILL IMPROVE IMMEDIATELY OR HEADS WILL ROLL!!! That should solve the problem.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 01-22-03 AT 03:23PM (CST)[/font][p]And then there's the old adage, "The flogging will stop as soon as morale picks up."
  • Heh Heh... you really can't find this level of advice anywhere but on this forum.

Hell hath no fury as a HR professional whose morale boosting event was scorned by employees.

Paul
  • Rita, that would not work, on all as I know a few people who enjoy getting flogged way to much!!!!

Well I am drifting off the subject LOL.
    DJ
  • We have found some solice in the website [url]http://www.despair.com[/url]

It has some nice inspirational posters from the HR perspective! Take a look, you won't be disappointed.

• I agree. Let's just fire 'em and let God sort it all out. Since that won't and can't happen, and since I agree: You can't force someone to 'enjoy' having their morale rebuilt, this is what I've done. I've said that I understand their hesitation, but won't they just give it a try and then if they don't like it, they can leave and never darken the doorway again. That works most of the time until I tangle with some real hardheads who get in my face and almost scream at me that it's stupid, they hate it, blah, blah, blah. At that point, I say, you're right - it isn't beneficial for all and you probably wouldn't benefit, so don't come. They seem to be so taken aback that I don't argue that they sometimes end up showing up and participating. Oh well, go figure, such is my life. I love children, don't you?
  • We had a problem with moral and everyone was getting into the act. I hired a personnel manager who is up all the time, wants to get into everything, will tackle every problem, and solves most of them using laughter and a smile. She believes she has to be part of everything that happens. We are a community based organization so there is a lot going on. She started going to everything, to meet people and get involved. The older employee's got jealous, or felt she would take over, so they started to get involved and our moral went up. I think they are having fun and our customer service skills have greatly increased.
    I believe one person can make or break the moral of an organization. Maybe you should look into what is really happening.
  • Some employees fall into the "habit" of being down. Nothing is ever good enough. I personally like team building types of activities, but I have also worked with many who would rather sit all day in a dark room than actually have fun (or be civil) at work! Of course, I don't know what you have planned. Does it have anything to do with sad or painful experiences? or are you planning the more "fun" type? You might also try to "inspire" a couple of employees to want to participate and hope that it will rub off on the others....just a thought.

Good luck!
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 01-23-03 AT 04:04PM (CST)[/font][p]I'm kinda with Paul on this one. When morale gets bad around here, we typically just run a two inch line ad in the local paper which says, "WANTED - WORKERS WHO HAVE GOOD MORALE TO REPLACE THOSE WHO DON'T". Then we post a copy of the ad on the company bulletin boards right next to the notice that says anyone extending their daily 10 minute break by over 6 seconds will be fired immediately, even if they're in the bathroom, no questions asked. Morale always picks up immediately. All you really gotta do is let people know clearly what your expectations are. Simple. Don't spend money on no seminars! Our practice applies only to salaried employees since it has been clearly shown in studies that morale is not important among hourly or production workers. Be wary of those who tell you otherwise. Don D
  • My only comment is that morale is spelled m-o-r-a-l-e not "moral"

If it helps, think "more ale". Now that I mention it, more ale could be good for morale.

My other comment is that I just wasted twenty minutes at [url]www.despair.com[/url] but I also had one of the hardest laughs that I have had in awhile.

So to recap: Morale is up! Productivity down!

Paul
  • This has been an interesting forum. I am familiar with employees who enjoy being unhappy at work. Have you thought about their response to the program in general? How are you presenting your teamwork and morale building process? I just read a book called FISH on this topic. Our company is going to implement the Fish Philosophy. You can check it out at [url]www.fishphilosophy.com[/url]. It sounds like fun, yet is very effective.

Just a thought.....

Safety Witch
  • The fish philosophy is very good and effective....only to those who want to adapt it. If you can have a seminar on it it is very effective! The only thing you can do is keep those happy that are willing to be happy and hope that the good morale spreads. Don't give up. You don't want those who have no morale start poisoning the others. Continue to have events, picnics, outings, etc. The more people talk about how "fun" the event was, the better chance some ot the nay-sayers may catch on. If they don't, well then you don't want them there anyway!!! Also, supervisor's need to find out what makes their staff click. Ask them for suggestions on activities that they know all of their staff will attend.

At a recent gathering, we gave a pizza party to the program who showed up with the most staff. At first it sounded a little childish, but as the night went on, staff were calling other staff members to come down and enjoy the party just so they could increase their numbers. It worked out great!
  • Now here would be a great book: "HOW TO HAVE HIGH MORALE WITHOUT REALLY HAVING TO CHANGE THE ORGANIZATION!"

The problem I have seen is that low morale is both a problem and a signal that there are still deeper problems.

Another problem is that it is much easier to destroy morale than to build it. I watched in horror as a manager created unneccessary morale problems with a single memo that did not have to be sent and was poorly thought out.

I think good morale is the byproduct of EMOTIONALLY MATURE PEOPLE who are working toward a GOAL THAT THEY BELIEVE IN and where leadership has created (by example) a HEALTHY, ENERGIZING ENVIRONMENT that may not be perfect but is constantly IMPROVING.

I am not sure that you can remove any of those elements and expect morale.

Paul

• There has been much said on this topic. Paul, seems the first, to me, who is getting close.

I would guess the issue is deeper than the line workers. What about management? I think top management is where you start. I would guess some of their behaviors have to change. I'm sure staff would be more willing if they see changes in their bosses.

I would suggest you drop the teambuilding title and start with people understanding their behavior styles in this work environment. This alone can be an eye opener and create an understanding of people working better together. I have used DiSC in various environemnts and seen incredible eye openers and understanding.

Then of course, expectations need to be clartified and agreed upon. Keep in mind that adults don't much like being told what to do or treated like children with no brains or experience.

I would be happy to discuss further since I work as an independent contractor.
  • I just have to add one more thought on this whole morale business. At my place of work, we had some grumbling from employees who didn't want to participate in a training day, even though we were still giving them another holiday to make up for it. Basically, they were what have already been described in this forum as being habitually pessimistic. In response, my President gathered everyone together and asked them in a pleasant, but firm way if they would rather be working as usual, or have time to relax at a nice hotel with a free lunch, playing games and basically having a great time together. Because the fact is, either they were going to have the training day or be working that day anyway..and you know it's amazing how quickly morale went up after that. Also, I believe that the respect your upper management commands can have alot to do with a company's morale. My President is loved at this company and when he says something, everyone listens.
    PS..The employees LOVED the training day and can't wait til the one this year..they ask me about it all the time..

• if they would rather be working as usual, or
    >have time to relax at a nice hotel with a free lunch, playing games
    >and basically having a great time together. Because the fact is,
    >either they were going to have the training day or be working that day
    >anyway..and you know it's amazing how quickly morale went up after
    >that.

I'll play devil's advocate and suggest that it was not morale at all that went up. It was salivation triggered by selfish employees. I think you're confusing that with morale. Or maybe it's the same, hmmmm.

• Is Harrison Ford going to be there? ;-)

Eric
  • Don, you're probably right, but sometimes the lines get a little blurred (probably from all that saliva) and you do what you got to do to get them there! And hopefully, this next year we won't hear the complaints..although I am sure some will live up to their reputation and not dissapoint us.

And Eric, as if my Harry would need training on teamwork, unity, etc. I think he is a little busy saving the world from the Empire, Russian Terriorists, Nazis, and Calista Flockheart..(stupid stick lady!)
  • Harrison has become rather wealthy lately. He has invested heavily in the Botox industry. Callista and Miss Flynn-Boyle are his walking billboards.
  • Amen to that...someone get those girls some Hostess cakes quick!!
  • Thanks so much for all the comments. They're greatly appreciated. I do want to clarify some items. I'm talking of an office environment here, no line people, plant, or mfg. personnel involved. We are a so-called professional organization. There are really only one or two staff members who constantly complain and are cranky about EVERY SINGLE THING, it seems. These people are just generally hard to get along with and have to be handled with kid gloves constantly. Be that as it may, they are demoralizing to the rest of the group that seems to want to participate or at least do it without complaining. Also, I'm not talking weekend training sessions or anything such as that. Believe it or not, I'm speaking of things like pot luck lunches, Chili Cook-Offs, Scavanger hunts, etc. And, yes, we've tried fish - it fizzled out since upper mgt didn't see fit to spend the money to have the proper seminar and materials presented. Even though I've been charged with pumping morale, I'm finding it more and more difficult to find ways to present to the staff. I have something planned for every other month this year and I'm just forging ahead, keeping a smile on my face and hoping for the best. Guess it's true - you can't please all the people all the time. Thanks again, Everyone.
  • Teecee,

Large ships dont turn around quicly but with time and diligence you will see results. Good luck.

Paul