PERSONALITY TESTING

The President of the company is suddenly interested in personality testing as a recruiting tool.

What is the general opinion of this tool? What are the liability issues? What kind of tests are recommended?

Comments

• 27 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We use OAD, Organizational Analysis & Design. We have been very pleased with the results. The website is [url]www.oadmidwest.com[/url]. There is a survey you can fill out and they will call you with the results.
  • also,check out [url]www.birkman.com...great[/url] test,simple to understand,very accurate...mike maslanka
  • Make sure that whatever instrument you choose has a behavior based component because it is a person's behavior that determines how he/she is perceived in the workplace. You might also consider some type of education for the managers on how to use this tool to choose the right complement of personalities for their work group. Otherwise, managers choose people just like themselves rather than enough different types to insure that their group will function. You can also teach managers strategies for how to recognize what their current employees' personalities are and how to facilitate communication and reduce conflict while working with those "other types." Call me if you want further information. I'll be gald to try to help you.

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • Friends,

I fear this question is a bit more complicated than taking recommendations for tests. The liability associated with personality tests (discrimination and privacy, in particular) are potentially significant -- to say nothing of the simple fact that a test that is valid and appropriate in some circumstances will, under other circumstances, lead hiring managers astray and be literally worse than useless.

This is not the place for a discussion of the many issues in implementing testing (a sense of a few of the legal and procudural issues can be gained by a quick review of the EEOC guidelines on employee selection procedures, available at [url]www.ipmaac.org/files/ug.pdf[/url]).

If you want to consider testing, I would urge you to contact a qualified I/O or assessment pyschologist so that you have the greatest chance of actually improving your hiring, as well as avoiding the courtroom. You can find such a perosn through the American Psychological Association, most major universities, and credible consulting firms.

Steve McElfresh, PhD
    HR Futures
    408 605 1870
  • Exactly - before just getting a test based on someone's recommendation or off the shelf check out the Uniform Guidelines on Selection Procedures, the gist of which talkes about job analysis and the validity of tests. In fact, part of the Guidelines state that validity cannot be based on the reputation of a test. The quote is "Under no circumstances will the general reputation of a test or other selection procedures, its author or its publisher, or casual reports of it's validity be accepted in lieu of evidence of validity".

Testing is a very specialized topic - be careful.

• I gotta weigh in one more time! I recommend staying as far away from this as an HR person can get! I don't pretend to be any sort of testing expert. I can recall sitting on the stand for two days several years ago in a federal court case regarding the discrimination inherent in the General Aptitude Test Battery pushed by the Department of Labor as a counseling tool. Long story short, both sides had a parade of witnesses for days going on about test validity, correlations, coefficients, validation subsamples and those who hold themselves out as interpreters of results. I have also seen endless numbers of CEOs, COOs, assorted VPs, managers, supervisors and others who know all the shortcuts known to man and can tell you who to hire and who not to hire based on their (terribly uneducated) interpretation of test scores or assessment summaries. Some of these guys love to sit in judgement. Someone said earlier that we often tend to hire those who 'mirror ourselves' in terms of score, aptitude or whatever it is that tells us 'empirically' that 'this guy will work out great'. The danger, as pointed out earlier, is in the way people misuse such instruments to make stupid decisions that can literally cost the company its total fortune. I worked for a very dangerous guy one time who said he could tell you your IQ and everything there was to know about your future sucess simply by looking at a combination of your verbal, math and spatial aptitude scores on some test or other. And he hired on that basis. Run from it!!
  • I appreciate the input from all of you. You have expressed the same concerns that I had regarding EEOC violations/disparate impact/etc...

I have shared this information with my boss who has backed off the notion of using this as a recruiting tool for the time being.

However, he is still interested in using the tests as "a tool to assist the supervisors with interpersonal communication and making descisions regarding an employee's appropriateness for different types of positions.

Any thoughts?

D.
  • Personality tests can be used in the training setting to generate discussion about communication, stress etc. etc. if used correctly. They can be development tool.
  • You are halfway there in getting the President to back off on using personality tests for hiring. However, when you say s/he would like them used in "making decisions regarding an employee's appropriateness for different types of positions", you are back in the exactly the same hole. Discrimination/privacy violation complaints by present employees differ from those of applicants primarily in being more virulent, persistent and contagious.

Using such tests for team and personal development purposes certainly has less, but NOT zero, risk (privacy is still an issue, as is their inappropriate interpretation and abusive application. And managers can appear to have used them for promotion/transfer, even when you so prohibit). For this purpose, I would still urge you to consult someone who is experienced in their use, and in employee/organizational development.

Sorry for all of the bad news. Feel free to call if talking through this might be of some use in responding to your President.

Steve McElfresh, PhD
    HR Futures
    408 605 1870

• One other concern: the effect that the results may have. Personality tests in groups can be useful in improving the workings of a group, however, they can also be destructive. In one situation, one individual in a group of 10 was extremely different than the other 9. The 9 were nearly clones of each other (where they fell on the chart). From that point forward, when the one individual saw things differently than the other 9, the one was "explained away" as, 'she was this, afterall'. The different viewpoint was not valued, and, the indiviudual felt very ostracized.

• Rather than using personality tests, why not consider aptitude testing (if applicable). We use it for field service engineers, engineers and assembly workers. I would highly recommend the Bennett tests.
  • We have recently been looking into using this type of testing. Even though we've been doing background screenings for a couple of years, we've still managed to hire some "bad apples".

One of the caveats our vendor told us about was that the test should never be used as a "pass/fail" mechanism. The results should only count for 30% or less of the hiring decision. This helps to insulate the company from at least part of the legal liability. Of course training of the supervisors who use the test is essential, as is making sure the test being used has been tested and reviewed by legal counsel to at least ensure there is no on-the-face discriminatory content.

I think this testing can be useful, but should definetly be used with extreme caution.
  • I have used personality tests for new employees to much success. For one, it offers a starting point for conversations regarding communication, work styles, and motivators. Like anything, they could be used improperly but in my situation I have found them to be useful. The employees seem to enjoy them too because you are discussing their favorite topic - themselves.

For example, we just tested our kitchen crew. They really enjoyed learning that their assistant manager was a sanguine/choleric (very talkative and opinionated). It also was interesting to learn how the detail minded Melancholies were not getting the information they needed from the big picture Sanguines and Cholerics.

Overall, I have really enjoyed using personality testing to help my employees better understand themselves, their abilities, and preferred styles.

I use a testing system based on the Sanguine, Choleric, Melancholy, and Phlegmatic personality types developed by Florence Littauer.

[email]paulknoch@hotmail.com[/email]
  • I have to agree with Paul. I have taught a work styles course at numerous companies to numerous different groups within each company. Participants tell me, even five years later, that they are still using the information and that it has significantly improved their relationships within their organization. If taught correctly, it is a wonderful tool for teaching people to understand and appreciate the value of another person's viewpoint. It can be used effectively to facilitation communication, to teach the value of having diverse "types" in a work group and also to reduce conflict within and between work groups. You need to use a good, but simple, instrument and have an instructor who can teach the value of having different types in a work group. You also need someone who can teach strategies for how to relate to someone who is not your same "type."

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • The posts by Paul and Margaret illustrate how tests can be used in a positive way. We use them in our Supervisor and Management training as well - as a development tool. There are no promotion or demotion decisions based upon them. The problem with tests is that most people assume a lot about what they do, not to mention the legal issues revolving around them. A number of years ago, with a former employer, I had to evaluate a charge of discrimination as a result of a layoff decision. It was easy, the salesperson who sold the least stuff was laid off and the one who sold the most was retained. The intriguing part was that a personality test given before they were both hired predicted high sales ability for the one who didn't sell much and very marginal ability for the one who sold a lot.
  • Our company only uses these types of tools in training sessions to help employees better understand themselves and how to deal with different personalities in the workplace. Never have and never will use as hiring tools. Too risky!
  • Pre-employment personality testing can also be perceived as a method to avoid the hiring of individuals who have a mental disability (that may be protected under the ADA). Wouldn't even go there!
  • This subject illustrates the good and the bad in HR. On one side you have valid arguments to NOT use a tool for fear of possible legal problems. On the other side you have arguments for their use because of how effective they can be to motivate "human resources".

Who is right? I can only speak for myself but I plan to continue using what works. I hope HR will always be a voice of reason arguing for the ethical application of business tools. If something works, lets figure out how it can be legitimately utilized. Too often, I think HR focuses on why we shouldn't do something.

The day we all become defensive, reactive naysayers who won't do anything risky or unusual for fear of possible litigation is the day I switch careers. Lawsuits are a reality but I don't think they should drive our industry.

• Actually, Paul, I quite agree with you, and appreciate your pushing my thinking on this. The legal snafus are only the visible tip of the iceberg and not the reason to be cautious in this arena. More important is the fact, people use them when they believe, when their intuition tells them, the instrument "works" and it in fact does not work and/or is counterproductive.

The fact is that personality testing and interpretation is a difficult skill, calling for significant training and experience. And the process of choosing the right test or battery of tests for selection/promotion purposes is one that requires substantial effort, investment and organizational capability. The problem is that you readily get bad (wasteful or counter-productive) business decisions when you do not invest these resources - as someone noted with the test that (in the anecdote given) appeared to give "good" scores to bad sales people. The legal problems are only a downstream and relatively rare result of candidates holding you accountable when those bad decisions damage them.

If there are serious decisions to be made through the use of personality tests, there is a serious amount of work to be done to do it right. Again: this is not to avoid legal problems, but to avoid making bad business (hiring, promo) decisions. That these bad decisions might have legal consequences is only the most visible, but far from the most important, consideration.

On the other hand, if their use is personal development and exploration, and managed in a way that does not allow meaningful organizational decisions to be driven by them, there is any number of interesting and provocative "self-help" instruments that probably could be used. Regrettably, and for the reasons given in the second paragraph, the instruments that are well developed and most valid are generally available only through a certified user. So it goes.

Thanks and regards,

Steve McElfresh, PhD
    HR Futures

408 605 1870

• Steve,

I suspect we have different personalities :) However, that is the beauty of all this - we can still get along. We would probably make a good team!

From where I sit, an employee's personality affects his or her motivation, communication style, learning style, grooming habits, stress level, need for feedback, and more. You put the wrong personality in the wrong job and you may have problems.

Example, put a social, sunny sanguine in a detailed, back room, desk job with no people contact and soon they will begin wandering to the water cooler. Or, they will be giving their two week notice. I don't use personality tests to screen applicants but I use my knowledge of personality styles (among other factors) to decide who is best suited for what job.

As managers of "human resources" I suggest we should strive to understand them.

• I didn't hear a debate on whether personality might be important, and I am sure most would readily agree. The research literature does, generally.

The question is whether what are called personality tests measure what they purport to measure, when they can be used effectively, and for what purpose. For that, one might want to spend some time looking at the relevant literature. E.g.,

- Dr. Robert G. Rose, Practical Issues in Employment Testing.

- Personality testing in employment settings: Problems and issues in the application of typical selection practices.
    Personnel-Review. 2001; Vol 30(6): 657-676

or even just the white paper posted by SHRM (focused on test validity), [url]www.shrm.org/whitepapers/documents/default.asp?page=61293.asp[/url]

The latter concludes with a comment that is an appropriate closing:

"As a final note, if you are a trainer or consultant, constructs are fun to discuss, but if you are a recruiter, you need to cut through the psychobabble nonsense and assure yourself that the score on any test you use has a legitimate and documented relationship with job performance."

Steve McElfresh, PhD
    HR Futures

408 605 1870

• a very good book on how to size up anothers personality---i prefer to call it communiction style---is How to Mind Read Your Customers by David Snyder...regards,mike maslanka
  • What about DISC training? Recognizing others for "what type" they are and how to match and mirror to work with them?

I've been thru it twice and it's always been a great tool to understand people you've worked with. I forget what all of them stand for...something like; dominant, introspective, sensitive and...ugh! It's been too long. Gotta go back and do it again.

x:-)
  • I think you nailed something there! Often these exercises in testing/evaluating/pigeon holing ourselves and others are great fun while sitting around the big table and for maybe a day or two afterwards. Beyond that, it all seems to disapate. Its a lot of fun to take a secret look at oneself and maybe to share the results with others and see how you compare to them. The long term though, should be reserved for professionals who are trained in test administration, validation, construction and interpretation.
  • Don,

I agree and disagree. Some people do look at the information presented to them regarding their personality, smile with recognition of their own behaviors, and then forget all about and never put it into practice.

On the other hand, in my organization I am constantly bringing this topic up and it has become a useful tool for improving interpersonal relationships. Its not uncommon to hear employees discussing their differences in terms of "personality styles" and even using the labels I teach them (sanguine, phlegmatic..)

This week I am leading two workshops for employees who want to learn more about their personality styles. The workshops have been well attended and the interest level is high. I recognize not everyone will go out and put this information into practice but I know there will be a few who may gain some information that could open doors to better self-understanding and more effective relationships.

And that's what its all about...

• Our firm has used the DISC system for several years now. Every applicant is asked to complete the assessment form. The DISC stands for Dominance, Influencing, Steadiness and Compliance, by the way. We use the results as just additional information along with everything else we gather on an applicant to make a decision. Rarely is it the key factor in a turn down but it does tell us more about a person's behavior style in a few minutes than we would be able to detrmine in a few months. We also use it to help in coaching and guiding a person as they progress in the firm. I did take a training course to learn how to interpret the results and have continued to learn more as time has gone by. So, even us Goobers can fulfill a meaning role in this business afterall.