Basketbrawl

2»

Comments

• Don, now you know I always try to look at all sides! That's just me.

I think your characterization is overly harsh and not related to the problem at hand. "People like these buffoons have skated through life perfecting copulating skills". . . Where did that come from?

And yes, I think the owners and/or managers should assist some players with coping skills. Why, I arrange communication, stress reduction, management, etc., classes all the time for our employees. Why shouldn't the owners and sports franchises use some of the mega bucks they make off of these talented but socially mal-adjusted players in assisting them with learning how to cope with the problems they have in life.

Regrettably, everyone does not have the grace and tact you and I have - but these things can be learned. Yes, the players should suffer the suspensions AND the franchises should be accountable as well.
  • And don't forget to hold the fans accountable.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 12-08-04 AT 03:05AM (CST)[/font][br][br]"I think your characterization is overly harsh and not related to the problem at hand. "People like these buffoons have skated through life perfecting copulating skills". . . Where did that come from?"

Well, I'll tell you where it comes from, but surely you already know. The major players in this brawl have some eleven children among them with not a wife to be found. That, to me, indicates a certain proficiency in copulation, but none in coping. All of the media have written that these guys have never been held accountable, have been put on high school and college pedestals and emulated by one and all right up to the signing day. Surely someone's head is in the sand if they really pretend this is not a current phenomenon fueled by society's false hero worship mentality. Give me a HumVee, six million dollars, endless motel rooms with girls lined up all the way down to the Coke machine, tell me I'm untouchable and invisible and let's see how I act.

Oh, and forget about enrolling me in the Thursday evening coping and polishing class. If I'm one of these guys I don't want that and don't see that I need it. If I have six million dollars, all the imaginable material and creature comforts and the admiration of thousands of screaming fans, why would I want to curb my behavior. America loves this crap and encourages it and therein lies the problem. x:-)

It's naive to claim these are just a select, few, atypical examples of poor behavior.
  • Very well stated. Of course the rest of the problem with the coping class is that they would get a couple of tutors appointed and hire a stand-in to actually go to the class - just like the college english class.

In order for any of this to produce change, it must come from inside the person and must be accompanied by a desire to change. It usually takes some sort of lightning strike before anything like that happens, IMHO.
  • Well, losing millions because of a suspension should be reason enough to get anybody's butt into a class.

My understanding was that at least one of the players had taken an anger management class and as a matter of fact was "trying" to contain himself, when a fan threw a cup of iced drink on him. So, he needs to go back to the drawing board and work harder at learning ways that will help him better navigate his way through life. The suspension and legal entanglements will assist him. And, IMHO, formalized training wouldn't hurt either.

However, a lot of the passion surrounding "some" players who run afoul of our sensibilities may have to do with unexpressed and hidden issues, and I believe this thread hits the nail on the head and substantiates my view.

In addition to expressions of contempt for this brawl -- other things are surfacing, such as parenting skills (or lack thereof); having children out wedlock; making millions of dollars, not taking college learning seriously; flaunting the ability to get women and material possessions, disrespect, etc.

Is it anger at individual(s) or a situation that got out of control; or ammunition to rail against a segment of athletes that some object to.