Don't hate me cause I'm tall

Comments

• I'm tabulating here. Seems most of The Forum's short women are leaning far to the left from what I can surmise.

And what is it they say about a midget in a crowded elevator? He has a far different outlook than the rest of us.
  • I got on this thread late. I'm 5'3 1/2". At work I'm 5'7" - and I'm paid like the rest of the managers. It's the shoes, I tell you. We've been there before.
  • Short women are also inconsistent, as a breed. I clearly remember s moll telling us before that she was 5'3" 5/8, not 5'3" 1/2.
  • I'm 5'4" but have never thought of myself as "short" maybe cause I was/am the tallest female in my family; my 3 sisters and mother are all a mere 5' or less. I do think tall men have an advantage over short men, I for one rarely date a man less than 6'tall cause I likes to wear the high heels! My current beau is 6'5 and I feel like a kid around him and anything that makes me feel like a kid when I'm almost 48 is a wonderful! thing!~
  • Hey Scorp, and the rest of the little people, at 5'10", it's a big, wonderful world up here. Don't need 4" spikes either.

I'm trying to picture a 5'shrimp with a 6'5" Adonis. Where's the beer can?
  • Right on, Rita! Air's fresher up here too!

I'm 5' 10.5" and am taller than the VP, all of the engineers and most everyone else in our plant. Nothing wrong with height in heels! I just push my seat back farther in my car so I my knees don't bang the dashboard.
  • I'd much rather be a shrimp than a crab. x;-)
  • This looks like another example of a waste of money (probably a government grant) in education. A ‘study’ to compare the amount of earned money difference and individual height, oh brother. What next, a study about the phase of the moon and the mating habits of earthworms? It seems that academia needs to get its priorities in line, and better oversight of those who ‘grant’ funds to academic studies. If this was a study for completion of a PhD, or a master’s degree holly cow batman, what is this country coming to? Aren’t there better subjects to study and bigger fish to fry? If this is all it takes to earn a higher education I’m in, where do I enroll in this institution? Maybe they have distance learning and I wouldn’t have to travel and I’ve already got a thesis, see example above, unless this study has already been bought and paid for!
  • What next, a study about the phase of the moon and the mating habits of earthworms?

Hey Safety-I think I saw a study on earthworms and the moon O=* I will look around for it!!
  • Darn it, I knew I'd have to come up with a different thesis.
  • Safety, I think you'd have a mighty hard time getting the 'moon and the earthworms' to jive with any study relating to compensation. Now that they've gone this far with height, what next? Protection under title vii? Do a study of blondes. Think of the possibilities of outcome. Blondes would have to submit a hair strand showing some root to prove authenticity before claiming protection. That same strand could be used in drug testing; however, you'd have to do that for all applicants.

(I hope you sense the sarcasm here - meant in fun.)

xflash
  • OK Sam, I recall the first day of my statistics 101 class and the first words out of the instructors mouth, "There's lies, damn lies and then statistics." So with that in mind I believe there is a high probability of a correlation between the moon, earthworms and compensation, sarcasm intended!

I like the idea of a blond study though. x:D
  • WARNING! WARNING! Hijack in progress. This thread is about to unravel!
  • Say What! A crab? As in crustacean or someone who is grouchy? Either way, I see no relevance. Neither applies since our impressive stature complements our outgoing personality and charm. :DD
  • There probably ain't two natural blondes on the whole Forum. And Ray's one of 'em. xB-)
  • There ain't two blondes on the forum and I'm one of them. Is that Southern-speak indicating I am not blonde? Which, BTW, I'm not. I'm predominately gray.
  • Its o.k. Ray A, you may be grey... I am not a "natural blonde" AND I am under 6' tall - We will just muddle along and do the best we can :DD
    p.s. I am voting in on the blonde survey...was there one started yet?As stated :-) I am not a natural blonde and I have no idea about moon phases and earthworms-I also shall never ever call Parabeagle "pookie"-Did I cover everthing?#-o
  • You're doing pretty good, Scorpio. BTW, Beagle prefers to be called the "Evil Twin".
  • And back to your original post where you state that a survey determined an inch to be worth $789.00. Maybe that's what oughta be voted on! x}>
  • "I also shall never ever call Parabeagle "pookie""

Pookie says you have his permission to call him Swee' Pea. x;-)
  • Referring to the original post, what is 'every extra inch in height' and the 'typical employee.'?
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-11-04 AT 12:42PM (CST)[/font][br][br]oops my bad :-) I believe it was every extra inch over 6' tall-That was in the header of the article, I did not include that tidbit in the original post...Sorryx:'( As for the typical ee, I took that to mean any ee under 6'-I am sure if I interpreted wrong, someone shall point it out to me...within minutes!;;)

• I recall a joke about a Mississippi State Engineer being asked to tell his boss how tall a telephone pole was. The pole was laying on the ground, so he dug a hole and with the help of a crane, stood the pole up in the hole. The boss asked him what he was doing, why didn't he just measure it on the ground. The engineer said, "I know how long it is; you asked me how tall it is." So the question for Scorpio is, is an inch of length the same as an inch of height? And what if the employee is laying down? Is he worth the same as if he's standing up? There will be a test. You may begin.............
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-11-04 AT 05:32PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Don D, you truly crack me up-I sense a trap here so I shall tread carefully/:) It would seem to me that it is all the same...If a man was laying on the ground..or standing straight up, the end result would be the same-Just the position would be different. So, did I fail???? Be nice, I am bracing for a hurricane here and busy trying to explain "Act of God" to the powers that be!!!They seem to think we can scale bridges and leap building's in a single bound, and, if we can't....oops, the centers close and they make no money.
  • There is some valid logic here; but only when discussing an inanimate object such as a telephone pole. A tree, for example whould be tall unless it was cut down. Then it wouldn't be tall at all, just a long tree lying on the ground. However, since homo sapiens have a choice in the matter, tall should apply to them regardless of the position, because they can get up and down at will. Once the human body becomes inanimate, we would say "he was 6'1" tall." (past tense). I am still 5'3 1/2" tall until my spirit departs; then you can refer to me as 'long.'
  • Sam, that is twice in one thread you have told us you are 5'3 1/2" tall. Are you sure if you don't stretch a little more you couldn't reach 5'4"? Try tilting your forehead upward, that may give you the extra 1/2".
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-12-04 AT 08:28AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Considering your analysis, let's insert an assumption that the man in the prone position is a quadraplegic and does not, as you say, have a choice as to whether he stands or lies down. Then, would tall and long still be the same? Or is he tall at all? Or only when someone stands him up in a vertical position? Or should we refer to the rest of us as six feet tall and him as six feet long? And if he's been in that condition since birth, and I ask him how tall he is, he very well may reply, "Well, I don't know, I have never stood up."

And if he happens to be working somewhere, by chance, and can function in a prone position at work, and we manufacture yardsticks and one day are asking each other 'say, how tall are you?', would it be offensive if we were to ask him? And if we asked everyone BUT him, would that not be discriminatory? And then doesn't asking about height suddenly become one of those terribly politically incorrect things we should banish from the worksite....like talking about religion and politics and sex and whether or not someone owns a car? And if we have a limbo set up at the company picnic, would he not have an unfair advantage? Talking about inequality. Here, hold my beer.
  • We differ as to whether or not the man has a choice. He has a choice; albeit, not without assistance. Therefore, based on my presented theorem, my determination would suffice. Until the man dies, we would say he was X'X" tall; however he chose to remain prone most of his life.