Controversy

13»

Comments

• I second that HRsage -

All those in favor, say Yey (or Yes)

All those opposed, say Ney (or No)

Everyone let's have a great weekend and come back Monday refreshed with renewed energy and spirit.

Oh, one more thing GO STANFORD!!!!!

Lisa ;;)
  • Wow - miss a couple of days on the forum and you miss a lot. I am an avid reader of the Forum, but don't often post. I would hate to think ANYONE would leave the forum because of this most recent incident. I love the forum!! I have over 25 years in HR and think this forum is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I thought my company was the only one in the whole world that had some of the "far out" issues in the workplace. I find we are not. I get such an education from here - it's real life, real people and real opinions. I have NEVER been offended by anything on here - it's someone's opinion - that's what the Forum is all about. If I don't like it, I don't read it. We all make choices. I choose to continue to read the forum. Don, Paul in Cannon Beach, Parabeagle, all of you, keep on postin!!!!! Thanks for sharing all of your experiences
  • If this keeps up, we're going to find ourselves on Dr. Phil or something!!!x:D

I appreciate the differences that everyone brings to this table and I enjoy deeply the candid banter that we are unable to otherwise engange during work hours. This is not only a huge wealth of information and alternative perspective, but a place to relax, vent, and recharge the batteries so that we can be the best for our employees.

Happy Friday all!
    xhugs

• Does this mean that the forumite cruise is off? :)It's a good thing that we've developed "thick skin" from being in the HR field or this could've been much worse! Please, don't stop posting if that is your intent. I look forward to everyone's opinion and the occassional controvesy.
  • This might not be relevant, and I did not read all of the previous 48 (or so)posts. But, what would be the financial impact to social security if same-sex partners received survival benefits? Could the social security system afford this increase?
  • I agree. Let's move on. Have a good weekend with the people in your life who really matter.
  • Well, Don, I just wanted you to know that I never expected you to live up to my "personal expectations". Geez, talk about uptight!! I hope that you will not take things so personally in the future Don.
  • I know we're supposed to be moving on, but I missed this thread last week and I need to throw in a comment or two.

I've only been reading/posting on the Forum for about a year, but I've gained so much appreciation for all of the various posters and their knowledge. As some of you have admitted, I'm also among the "grizzled old veterans" who date back in HR to the days before ADEA, ADA, FMLA, and the rest of the alphabet soup we have to deal with now. I have yet to encounter a livelier and more prolific bunch of people to share ideas with!

I, for one, wasn't aware that there was a major, private controversy between two members of this Forum, since prior to this thread, I saw only open discussion of differing opinions between them. They kept the personal antagonism where it belonged - as a private issue between them. Suddenly, when the topic entitled "Controversy" comes up, the disagreement becomes painfully public.

Also, oddly enough, I wasn't aware of any "alert" button - it never occurred to me that there would be any need for something this on a forum hosted by MLSP and visited by professional in HR.

I've had my opinions knocked around a few times by fellow Forumites, and my pre-conceived ideas have certainly been challenged, but I can't say I've ever been so hurt that I wouldn't want to come back. Despite my advancing age, I'd hate to close my mind to new ideas or different viewpoints, which is one of the reasons the Forum had been so much a part of my life this past year.

I'm still going to be a frequent visitor and contributor to the Forum, including the HR-de-har-har section. I appreciate all of the input I've received directly and indirectly on this site, and I wouldn't want to lose it!
  • I was out all last week - visiting Mom and Dad in Sun City. Record heat, up to 97 one day. I loved it. Speaking of heat, looks like this thread spread around plenty of it.

OK, so I am one of the posters that greatly reduced my activity to this site as a silent protest to the censorship. Lest you think me a coward, I was quite vocal in my displeasure with the censorship. At the same time, I acknowledged that this is MLSP's commercial website and they can pretty much make the rules. Inasmuch as I claim to be a Capitalist instead of a Republican, Democarat, Liberal or Conservative, I will not disagree with the right to do so.

That said, I am glad people are posting again, but a little disappointed in the nature of some of the posts. I am surprised at the animosity displayed.

I have a bit of a skuewed (sp) viewpoint about the forumites - I think of it almost like an extended family. When my family starts arguing and getting a bit over the top, I get dismayed at the hostility that shows up. Then later, when everyone has hugged and made up, I remember the things that keep us together.

Whether I like it or not, the forum is not a family and it seems that some of the disagreements are deeply seated, even to the point that forumites privately speculate on the sexuality of other forumites. As if that should matter. It does not to me.

As others have said, glean what you can and what you will from the content. I, for one, think Mwild's content is worthwhile - I think the same of Don D's content. I am sorry that each of them has been hurt by any of the discussion that has happened.

Asking that the forum return to it's past condition is wishing for something that cannot happen. But we can heal the wounds and get back to doing the things that make this such an informative and rewarding website.

I would not want the commercial responsibilities that come with moderating this website and appreciate the explanations offered by James and Brad. It is a slippery slope and once a foot is placed in the wrong position, the whole body can follow down to the bottom. I want to reach out a hand to help - to be a part of a solution, not a contributor to a problem. From that perspective, I will jump back in and continue to learn and contribute when I can.

• Thanks, Marc, for taking the time to post this message. A perfect way to end this particular topic. Let's go on from here.
  • Marc and Ritaanz (and all the others who have posted) What a great way to end this thread. When I began it, I didn't expect the outcome...I don't know what I expected.

It would seem we have come full circle and I too hope that we have all learned a bit more about each other and can continue to do so.
  • In reply to the Adam and Eve thing check this out. [url]www.answersingenesis.org[/url] . Maybe this site will explain some things.
  • Take your time there is alot of info in the Q&A section.