SPEAKING OF OREGON

124»

Comments

• Fast forward 5 years...

Homosexual marriage has been made law. Society has become comfortable with the concept and wonders why we fought so hard against it. Suddenly, a lawsuit is filed against a church that refuses to marry a homosexual couple even though the state has sanctioned the union.

The case goes to court and the judge rules the pastor must perform the service or risk being found in violation of federal anti-discrimination law.

The pastor refuses and is arrested. The church building and assets are seized.

Is this too far fetched? You sure?
  • I don't think the lawsuit would hold up as the pastor belongs to a church - his "office" is dictated by a religious belief system, not by a government. I could be wrong - but that's my take on it. Also, I think if gay marriages were legalized that judges who perform marriages probably wouldn't be allowed to refuse to marry people based on homosexuality - as that would probably be considered against the law and they would be fired.
  • I don't think a church could be required by law to abandon a doctrine of their faith. I could be wrong, however, as I know some Catholic-owned health insurance plans have been required to pay for birth-control coverage for their insureds, but these are plans that are open to the public regardless of religious affiliation, so I think that's how they are able to mandate something like that.

I'm rambling. Update: There is a hearing in Multnomah Co. Circuit Court this afternoon re issuance of same-sex marriage licenses and we should know within the next day or so whether an injunction halting their distribution will be imposed.
  • Paul, not too far fetched. About a decade ago, a local pastor was arrested and the church lost their tax exempt status. Why? Because he had the audacity to speak out against abortion from the pulpit. He didn't bomb any clinics, he didn't shoot any doctors, nor was he even picketing. He spoke his opinion from the sanctity of the church. But, where he crossed the line was when he publicly endorsed specific candidates for office who passed his litmus test. That apparently is against the law. I believe something similar could happen with gay marriage and churches.

Marc, I appreciate your personal touch to the debate. I'm sure participating in these discussions is very difficult. And I should add Prcello, since she has shared her story of a gay family member.
  • By the way, I totally disagree with anyone who would display hateful signs that express violence or crude language towards homosexuals or anyone. Those people are wrong, period.