Snow Days

After this weekend's nor'easter, the final snow fall for Boston was 25 inches. I can't believe it snowed for 2 days straight! My 15-20 minute walk to work took me 40 minutes. Anyone else get lots of snow this weekend?

Comments

• 44 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Hey Rad,
    28"!! here. Our new SUV gets over the most of the shoveling. Did you see the Pats game last night?
    Dang, that was good football!
    My little Toyota, which hasn't been moved in months is completely buried, just a little bit of antenna sticking out.
    Cristina
  • I did not watch the game but saw the highlights this morning, it looked like more fun sliding on the snow piles than watching the game. It was really something when the fans started to throw the snow, it looked like glitter.

Luckily I do not have a car to worry about and my neighborhood is the best place to be in a snowstorm, everything is open, people are everywhere, and I can walk in the street.
  • It was like snow fireworks! When the Miami Quarterback had to start in our end zone the fans were pelting hom with snowballs. I guess we are not very civilized here in NE. But football isn't a civilized sport, so who cares!
    Cristina
  • While we didn't have as much snow as you, we had a record breaker. The biggest problem was the blizzard conditions. No problem getting to work or home on Friday the subways always run. We did close early on Friday. I did a lot of work at home. Also, went cross country skiing in Propsect Park.
  • Snow? Whats that? It's going to be 72 deg here today. ahhh think I'll have lunch outside.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 12-08-03 AT 09:10AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Who let Judy into this thread. If you can't brag about snow, go elsewhere. Just kidding, Judy. x;-)

We had only 8.5 inches of snow in this part of NY - we were on the fringes of the storm. But, I saw a low of 7 degrees coming in to work this morning. That is cold.
  • Hey guys, we had about 15 inches all together. Not a big deal, I grew up near Watertown, NY where they get an average of over 200 inches per year. It is suppose be in the 50 toward the end of the week so we'll have lots of flooding here.
  • Ok, part of me is jealous but it was pretty last night, walking by Paul Revere's statue, the Old North Church steeple in the background, surrounded by slow glistening in the holiday lights...

But today, I'm done with it, its a big dirty slushy mess with huge chunks of ice falling from the buildings. The sun is out and very strong so its melting quickly.
  • 18" here. I enjoy the snow. The only bad part about the weekend was that my new snowblower was to be delivered Saturday and I received a call on Friday saying that it would not be delivered. My fiance and I had to shovel this weekend. xx( New delivery date 12/20. Praying for no more snow before then. xpray
  • I think 'old man winter' is getting senile. Would someone please tell him to take back the over 1 foot of snow that was dumped here? It ain't winter for another 2 weeks! I am so not ready for winter. Ugh!
  • my car has begun to emerge due to the warmth. I have the windows wide open to air out the house and it's perfectly comfortable.
  • I think we should send the snow to our friends in MS and AZ - Don, Ritaanz, Leslie and the rest.

Welcome back, HS, haven't seen you for awhile again.
  • We're scheduled for 4-6 inches here in KC starting tomorrow afternoon & you'd think the world was coming to an end.....

It never ceases to amaze me - the number of people who forget how to drive in the snow from year to year.

#-o
  • I know what you mean. We got about 18" and people were driving like the pavement was bare. The news this weekend was about car accidents, snowmobile accidents, etc. It's amazing how little common sense some people use.
  • Our problem is just the opposite. You get a couple of flurries in the air & wet pavement - people drive 5 miles an hour & start talking about how "treacherous" the roads are. I'm all for being cautious - you never know when things might get slick, but come on!
  • That's a little too cautious. You can cause accidents by going too slow. To me a few flakes is not treacherous.
    I'm hoping here in RI that this winter is not like last winter. It started snowing by Thanksgiving and I don't think I saw the grass until sometime in April.
  • Good luck - I don't think I could handle that. We usually don't get much snow until late January or February, but even then we don't get anything compared to you guys.

I think I'll just start preparing myself for those people who'll call in because of the snow..... *sigh*

• Last year was very heavy snow falls. It was unbelievable. Work was only closed for one day. That's a time when we actually had blizzard conditions and ended up with about 2 feet of snow during the week. Today I am at work where about 20" fell. Most people here don't call in due to snow.

I grew up in the snow belt of Massachusetts (Central MA), so I am used to all of the snow. Good luck with the snow and your co-workers who will not dare venture out of their homes.
  • It snowed here in 1994. When it snows enough to cover the road 1/32 inch, everything closes! It's t-shirt weather here today. Was really cold this morning (52 degrees). Brrr.
  • Don, shut up or I will send you a snow ball.
  • What goes around comes around, Ray. Don will suffer for his comments - after all, it can get pretty dang cold down there, too. Coldest weather I experienced this year was Alabama in January - low teens to low 20s.
  • That was the temperature around your girlfriend because of your behavior. The ambient temperature was 58.
  • You gotta' admit: when it first snows, it's the prettiest thing (besides sunsets) you've ever seen. When the air is slightly above freezing, the fields are covered with a twinkling white blanket and the trees look like blown glass. How can you NOT take a walk in it!
  • Toots: Oh I remember it so well. Struggling with the storm door because the snow is piled against it. Fighting with the lock on your car door because its frozen. Brushing off the snow from the car and trying to scrape the ice off the windows. Shoveling the driveway so you can get a running start to get out and on the street. Crawling bumper to bumper on the highways to get to work. An hour commute becomes three hours. You finally get to work. Whoooopeee! Two hours later they announce early closing. So does every other company in NJ. Schlep back to your car. Do the snow and scraping thing again. Your commute home is four hours. You suddenly realize that you have sat in your car longer than you sat at your desk. Yes, I remember it well. Did I mention the freezing cold???? The windshield wipers cannot keep up with the snow accumulation??

Ah, Arizona.....don't own a scraper, snow shovel, mittens, earmuffs, boots, scarves, de-icer, snow tires, chains or rock salt. x:7
  • >Ah, Arizona.....don't own a scraper, snow
    >shovel, mittens, earmuffs, boots, scarves,
    >de-icer, snow tires, chains or rock salt. x:7

And you can't dream of a white christmas where tree tops glisten... ;;)

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 12-09-03 AT 09:15AM (CST)[/font][br][br]But... you should see the cactus all gussied up with lights and Santa hats. The palm trees and bushes are covered with nets of colored lights. The full moon (last night) reflecting in the swimming pool. The stars are bright and shining as we sit on the patio sipping a cocktail. Nope, no tree tops glistening with snow.
  • Ritaanz, I do feel sorry for you... all the fun you are missing.
  • Rita, I remember a couple of months ago. It was either you or Leslie begging for a break from the heat and wanting to see snow.

Yup, all those things you say about the cold are true. It's not always pretty or fun to walk in. Yes, I only dream of visiting Arizona. Hmm. Someday.
  • Oh, I'm sooo jealous. Parts of Wisconsin are getting dumped on and here it's only raining! Everything ritaanz described is a dream come true. When the snow plow goes by and plows the end of your driveway shut, (and it's too packed down to shovel through), all you can do is speed up to it and hope your car ends up on the road and not hung up on the pile. Aaaaah. Where's the snow?
  • We got our first taste of winter weather in Omaha yesterday - about 7" of the white "blowing and drifting" stuff. Having grown up in Minnesota, this wasn't too disturbing to me, but everybody else here seemed to forget how to drive!

My spouse had to travel to Kansas City yesterday morning early, before the snow actually started. Coming back in the early afternoon, he saw a sight that he said absolutely broke his heart - a transport truck had slid off the road and toppled into a ditch, seriously damaging its load of brand new Corvettes. He said he nearly cried! x:'(