MacArthur's Park - what does it mean?

A local radio station is conducting a "Terrible Tunes" contest. Each night, two previously submitted songs are pitted against each other and listeners call in to vote which song is worse. Last night's songs were MacArthur's Park vs. Da Da Da (think of the Volkswagen commercials)

A caller was insulted that MacArthur's Park was in the contest because "it's a Vietnam anthem. It's about the dead bodies and the imperialists!"

The opening lyrics of the song, as I remember them are;
MacArthur's park is melting in the dark
The sweet green icing is running down
Someone left the cake out in the rain
I don't know if I can make it
It took so long to bake it
And I'll never have that recipe again

Apparently the song was written in 1967. Does anybody know what the song means?

Comments

• 36 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I know I'll be opening myself up to ridicule here, but I have to confess that that was one of my favorite songs (it has a nice melody, if you listen to it), but all it said to me were two things: 1. The lyricist was obviously on a bad acid trip when he wrote it; and 2. Richard Harris can't carry a tune in a basket on a good day with a tailwind. x:-)
  • I always thought the lyrics were strange but when I was in Jazz band we played an arrangement of this song that would make the hair on my neck stand up during the trumpet solo it was soo good!
  • I never heard of this song being a Vietnam anthem ... there is a McArthur Park in California and I believe that's what the song is referring to basically...but the lyrics are reminicent of an LSD power trip.

I agree with Beagle about Richard Harris. I think that's why they had him talk his way through most of the song.
  • Oh....and another thing....as far as bad songs, you would have to put Muskrat Love right up there and Yummy,Yummy, Yummy...I Got Love In My Tummy!
  • Yummy,Yummy, Yummy...I Got Love In My>Tummy!

Was that done by Strawberry Alarm Clock or the 1910 Fruitgum Company? :-?

• Other songs that were in the contest:

Physical, by Olivia Newton John (I liked that one)
    Seasons in the Sun, by ? (I also liked that one)
    Turning Japanese, by ? (from the 80's, I believe. Liked this one too)
    Disco Duck, by Rick Dees I think (OK, I did NOT like this one)

I can't recall the others right now. Most of the songs I actually liked, though!

Re: MacArthur's Park - an acid trip would explain the "sweet green icing running down". Ooooh - the colors!
  • I thought it was "sweet cream icing flowing down?"
  • The radio station kept replaying that particular part of the song. I thought it was "cream" until I heard it for, oh, the 8th time. I am sure it is green. To the acid-dropper, the green icing must represent the green grass. Make sense?
  • I thought Cat Stevens sang that song????
  • I dunno about this. Doesn't seem to make much sense even when you can see all the lyrics x;-)

Spring was never waiting for us, girl
    It ran one step ahead
    As we followed in the dance
    Between the parted pages and were pressed,
    In love's hot, fevered iron
    Like a striped pair of pants

CHORUS
    MacArthur's Park is melting in the dark
    All the sweet, green icing flowing down...
    I don't think that I can take it
    'cause it took so long to bake it
    Oh, no!

I recall the yellow cotton dress
    Foaming like a wave
    On the ground around your knees
    The birds, like tender babies in your hands
    And the old men playing checkers by the trees

CHORUS

There will be another song for me
    For I will sing it
    There will be another dream for me
    Someone will bring it
    I will drink the wine while it is warm
    And never let you catch me looking at the sun
    And after all the loves of my life
    After all the loves of my life
    You'll still be the one.

I will take my life into my hands and I will use it
    I will win the worship in their eyes and I will lose it
    I will have the things that I desire
    And my passion flow like rivers through the sky.
    And after all the loves of my life
    After all the loves of my life
    I'll be thinking of you
    And wondering why.

MacArthur's Park is melting in the dark
    All the sweet, green icing flowing down...
    I don't think that I can take it
    'cause it took so long to bake it
    Oh, no!
    Oh, no
    No, no
    Oh NO!! (upon which Harris suffers an irreversible gender change
  • Beagle! The medics are on the way! Don't resist. They are there to help you. They will call your family and turn your iron off. Things will be better for you if you go willingly.
  • It's apparent I have FAR too much time on my hands, today. Thanks for the gut check, Don.
  • I have got to stop being so busy. Can barely keep up with the serious issues and missing all the fun.

Beagle, I know it doesn't take all that long to find lyrics, so your okay by me. Your not ready to be taken away (Napolean XIV) - that only happens when you can't figure out or find the words or title to a song and it keeps rolling around in your head until you just go beserk 8-}!

Okay Yummy yummy yummy was by the 1910 Fruitgum Company, as was 1-2-3-Redlight. Incense and Peppermint and Tomorrow (right now I am with you and together we can make it groove) were by Strawberry Alarm Clock.

I admit to having four of the five 45s mentioned herein.
  • Oh, great. I just got rid of McArthur Park running through my head and now you've given me "They're coming to take me away." Thanks loads, Leslie.

I cooked your food
    I cleaned your house
    And this is how you pay me back
    For all my kind, unselfish, loving deeds, huh?
    Well, you just wait
    They'll find you yet
    And when they do they'll put you in the ASPCA
    You mangy mutt!

Chorus 8-}

• The flip side of this 45 was the same "rap" played backward!
  • Now that PB has provided us with the entire lyrics, here is my 30 second interpretation:

It's about a missed opportunity - at love, making the perfect green cake, acid, or all three.

This is my absolute favorite part of the song, now that I know the words;

"As we followed in the dance
    Between the parted pages and were pressed,
    In love's hot, fevered iron
    Like a striped pair of pants"

I tried to stifle the laughter which resulted in my making snorting noises, so I had to explain myself to the one person in the office at hte moment. Apparently it's not as humorous when I describe it out loud. She failed to make snorting noises like I did, and instead just said "oh - that is funny."
  • OMG! I have to admit...........this is one of my favorites too............ I really crank it up when it plays on the radio. Only problem is, is that when I have my windows down, I get some really strange looks...... Every time I hear it, I have to think that Richard Harris is a very brave man to take on this tune, or maybe it was the drugs? Hum..................
  • >OMG! I have to admit...........this is one of my favorites
    >too............ I really crank it up when it plays on the radio. Only
    >problem is, is that when I have my windows down, I get some really
    >strange looks...... Every time I hear it, I have to think that
    >Richard Harris is a very brave man to take on this tune, or maybe it
    >was the drugs? Hum..................

How about the next time some punk rapper in the car next to you is playing their stereo so loud your windows are rattling, you crank up MacArthur's Park and blast them away? I did that to a kid once, just blasted Gimme Shelter and grinned a big grin. The kid didn't know what to do, but finally turned down his stereo.
  • Don't know what it means, but at least the words were distinguishable. However, "louis, louis" (I hope this the correct spelling, I neither understood and could not distinguish the words.
  • From the web-

"From what I've read and heard about the song over the years, the lyrics don't really mean anything. The song was meant to be a private joke between Harris and Jimmy Webb. There was some sort of weird wager between the two that Jimmy could write the worst song of all time and Harris would record it. Then they woud see if it was a hit.

Back in 1969, it went to #2. Today, it has been voted as being one of the worst songs of all time.

I guess the fact that the lyrics didn't really mean anything at all is why it became so popular. Interpretation of the words is still wide open today."

A public service brought to you by Nrdgrrl, and the letters Q, Y and the number 4.

• Okay, while we're talking about old, bad songs, does anyone remember Alan Sherman's "Hello, Muddah, Hello Faddah" - his homesick camper song set to a classical tune?

Well, the flip side of that one was a ditty called "Here's to the Crabgrass" - a song about suburban living in the sixties. Every time I see a question regarding capri pants, I remember that song, which includes the following:

"Here's to mosquitos,
    clam dip and Fritos,
    To golf and bridge and scuba there.

Men wearing knee pants,
    Women in capri pants,
    Discussing what's with Cuba there."

I guess this is why I can't take any discussions on capri pants seriously!8-}
  • Don't forget Alan Sherman's ode to the Twelve Days of Christmas - "On the first day of Christmas, my true love gave to me, a Japanese transistor radio." x:-)
  • I remember them all!

Here are two more detestable tunes to get stuck in your head. Hope somebody remembers them beside me!

"No parking by the sewer sign.
    Hot dog.
    My razor broke.
    Water dripping up the spout.
    I don't care.
    Let it all hang out!"

"You're red scarf matches your eyes.
    You close your cover before stri-i-i-king.
    Your father has the ship-fitter blues.
    Loving you has made me bananas."

Please, somebody say you know these.

"Sam"
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-28-03 AT 11:27AM (CST)[/font][p]>"No parking by the sewer sign.
    >Hot dog.
    >My razor broke.
    >Water dripping up the spout.
    >I don't care.
    >Let it all hang out!"

Actually I like that song. Got one of the best guitar riffs even if the lyrics don't make any sense. When I was a kid, we used to do the slide to that song.

Your second one, I'm afraid, has left me baffled. If I have heard it, my mind has mercifully blotted out the memory. x:-)

• >
    >A public service brought to you by Nrdgrrl, and the letters Q, Y and
    >the number 4.

Okay, are you truly a member of the Sesame Street generation or are you just trying to make me feel better? x:-)

• She probably is of the Sesame Street generation. Most of us, however, seem to be of the Captain Kangaroo generation. x;-)
  • You left out Mister Rodgers!
  • I have Let it all hang out - but not You're red scarf matches your eyes. Sam, I think that may be a local thing - you know, the type djs sometimes do, because I've never heard of the Joy Boys - thank God - and that's who sang your second song.
  • Leslie,

It wasn't a local thing. It was a voice like Tiny Tim singing into a megaphone.

Please, someone come forward and back me up! "I'm not crazy, I'm just a little impaired, right now, I know you don't care." (I would put the "silly" face here but don't know how).