vacation time

Our company is family owned, non-union, and incorporated. We have a formal, written policy that states how vacation time is accured (based on length of service). Because of tough recruiting and retention times, we have made 2 exceptions (employees are given more time than others with the same length of service). There are also 2 family members of the owners of the company who have requested to be given the max amount of time available, even though they don't meet the length of service for that amount of vacation time. Any legal problems with giving these 4 people more vacation time than others (all are exempt-level positions)?

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I'm not sure if being exempt really makes a difference. The main focus should be "consistency", especially with a formal written policy in place.

Have you looked into a plan to offer special bonuses for retention, etc?
  • I think you can do what you want, but it might not promote good employee relations.

We have a "basic" policy in our handbook too. However, we have different classes of employees. The "professional" classes include our physicians and physician assistant and they all sign an employment agreement (the administrative staff does not sign a separate agreement) which sets for certain compensation and benefits. Although we try to be consistent in offering employment terms based on experience etc. sometimes there are special considerations made and vacation time has been one of them. Their employment agreement states that they are subject to the handbook except for any compensation terms specifically mentioned in the employment agreement.

• We do have a bonus plan in place as well. The 2 individuals in question left jobs where they had significantly more vacation time than our plan offers & all family lives out of state. It was a sticking point.
  • My company is much the same as yours. We have made exceptions to our vacation schedule in the past with no major reprecussions, except creating a "prima donna". But, it's not a problem until someone makes it a problem.