Sharia law

13»

Comments

• Don't forget... freedom of religion is important, but so is freedom FROM religion. That's the biggest problem I have with Sharia law. It seeks to erase that freedom from religion under the guise of freedom OF religion.
  • Yes, I am in total agreement and very well put.

• An excellent little essay about the increasing influence of sharia-based law around the world and its encroachment in Britain.

[url]http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=ODRkMDdiZTY0ZjFmYmIzZGNkMmU3MDlmZWM3Y2FmMGQ=[/url]

Note the paragraph where in Yemen, 19 Al Queda members accused of terrorism were set free based on the Sharia principle that the Koran authorizes jihad against occupiers.

• Saw this article today; there may still be hope for Minnesota after all:
    Muslim cab drivers at Minnesota's biggest airport will face new penalties including a two-year revocation of their taxi permits if they refuse to give rides to travelers carrying liquor or accompanied by dogs, the board overseeing operations ruled Monday.

The Metropolitan Airports Commission, responding to complaints about the liquor issue, voted unanimously to impose the new penalties beginning in May.

A large number of taxi drivers in the area of the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport are Muslim Somali immigrants. Many say they feel the faith's ban on alcohol consumption includes transporting anyone carrying it.

Some also have refused to transport dogs, both pets and guide dogs, saying they are unclean.

The new rules cover any driver who refuses a ride for unwarranted reasons, including those who refuse to take short-haul passengers in favor of more lucrative longer trips. They can still refuse fares for certain reasons, including threats to their safety.

Under the new regulations a first offense would result in a 30-day cab license suspension and a second in a two-year taxi license revocation.

The current penalty only requires that cab drivers who refuse a fare to go back to the end of the taxi queue, costing them time and money.

Since January 2002, the commission said in announcing the new rules, there have been about 4,800 instances where cab drivers refused to pick up people with alcohol in their possession. Travelers arriving from international destinations often bring back duty-free alcoholic beverages many in easily identifiable packages.

• Well this has been brewing for awhile now. It came to head when some cabbie dropped off a family of four out in the middle of nowhere in the dark when he discovered that they had alcohol with them. The MAC knows that this will likely spur a lawsuit, but they feel confident in their job descriptions. They also feel confident in the Minnesota law prohibiting discrimination against users of legal products.
  • You forgot to mention that you live in The Land of 10,000 Dark Places In The Middle Of Nowhere.

;)
  • Frank, you got me. As I was typing "Minnesota", I kept thinking that something was wrong.

Thanks for reminding me and it won't happen again.

Good one, by the way.