Dinner Interviews

Comments

• Pork: We need you on the forum, PAL. Every forum needs a balance. You provide that. For a million bucks we could not possibly purchase a product that would reflect the 'wisdom' you bring to us all. Thanks for being there for us all.

May you have a blessed day and a porkful tomorrow.
  • Pork: "You go, girl." BUT, what's this recommending something other than pork, AND paying for it with company funds???

I had a dinner interview once with the nicest plant manager in the world. Most civilized, well-mannered guy around, UNTIL he stepped into the plant and there were dollars at stake. Totally different guy. He fired me three times in one year, but I think I've told that story before.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 03-17-05 AT 07:01AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Maybe it's the dinner theme that's bringing out the best, or should I say worst, in some of us here.

Pork, the blessings of a few more names seem to be coming your way: pal, nieib (whatever the hell that is), but GIRL???. Come on Hunter1, I'll bet ya' Pork has never even had lipstick on in his whole life. Am I right, Pork? Anyway, to me, Pork, you are a seasoned veteran whose posts I thoroughly enjoy. Instead of reading your posts, I would much rather be sitting across a table graced with a couple of beers and a pile of pork burnt ends listening to you speak the words. Keep up the good work, Pork, and may you have a blessed day.

Gene, you also are a good addition to the forum and seem to have a pretty good insight and a professional point of view. Whatever it is that got your blood boiling, I suggest you lose it, bury it, forget about about it, get rid of it. Life is too important to be taken that seriously and it's things like, well, whatever it is that got you going, that make this good life shorter than what it has to be. I started to realize this life lesson when my father passed on and it's a very important lesson, indeed. So let's get on with the good stuff. Take care, my good man.
  • Larryc: Thanks for this support; I have throughly enjoyed and learned from every thread; it was about this time last year that we had a better time with all sorts of threats of leaving the channel and switching to a lesser forum. It is still amazing as to the number of "newbie" coming on board.

Names assigned to this person has been a life long enjoyment for me. To be just "pork" would be a lesser full day of life in this world of God in which we choose to stay and this forum is, likewise, a place that I choose to stay. I used to be known as Pork and now the forum has assigned me Pork1. Pork was almost up to a 1000 post when the system went haywire and I had to change my name.

It is a better day the good Lord and your kindness have already made my day. Yes, lets get on into another great thread.

PORK
  • Thanks for being the stabilizing force Larry and for your observations. I, too, have learned a few life lessons along the way, one of which is that we are all wired differently. I am an extremely agressive and direct individual. I like to challenge opinions and people and sometimes this comes across negatively, especially in an electronic forum. I stimulate candid conversation by being very direct and forcing people out of their comfort zones. Sometimes I even like to stir people for no reason at all which is a character flaw that I am working to improve.

I'm very comfortable in my skin, with no hidden agendas or psychodynamic Freud-isms. Furthermore, I have, for many years now, worked a Program of rigorous honesty, one which forces you to face and deal with, among many things, resentments. You might know this as the 12-step Program of Alcoholics Anonymous. Rest assured, Larry, that I harbor no resentments, and I haven't in a long time.

I appreciate your wisdom, maturity and sound advice, however, please refrain from trying to psychoanalyze me, especially via an electronic forum.

Regards,

Gene
  • ... >the ee has also brought the spouse to the
    >interview for house hunting, schools, & etc. On
    >one, I discovered by accident and chance over
    >the talk and "chat" that the individual with
    >whom we were having dinner with was not the
    >spouse at all. Needless to say, he and she were
    >not hired and that was the last interview with
    >him.

I don't think the applicant wanted the job either! Don't think it was a serious interview for him!

• Why can't we be friends?
    Why can't we be friends?
    Why can't we be friends?
    Why can't we be friends?

I seen you 'round for a long long time
    I really 'membered you when you drink my wine

Why can't we be friends?
    Why can't we be friends?
    Why can't we be friends?
    Why can't we be friends?

I seen you walkin' down in Chinatown
    I called you but you could not look around

Why can't we be friends?
    Why can't we be friends?
    Why can't we be friends?
    Why can't we be friends?

I bring my money to the welfare line
    I see you standing in it every time

Why can't we be friends?
    Why can't we be friends?
    Why can't we be friends?
    Why can't we be friends?

#1 thing a consultant shouldn't say: "I could tell you the answer right now, but we're committed to a three month project..." #-o
  • If you're taking requests, can you do something by Chicago or Earth, Wind and Fire so I can heave properly?
  • Hey Don, how's the knees? Careful or you could get one kicked with comments like that.
  • If I can't use my thumb or bread how the hell do I get all the corn on my fork?
  • Per some, you would leave it there to be carried off by the bus boy. Per moi, you may certainly use a 'bread-type' pusher - just don't load up your fork through the whole meal.
  • So if I load up at the end, I'm OK? Good. I always have to be a member of the clean plate club.
  • How 'bout using the soda straw from your soft drink to vacuum up the reluctant little rascals?
  • Are toothpicks acceptable utensils? You could skewer the corn one by one.....

Gene
  • WOW! I can hardly believe the responses this thread has received! My goodness! Anyway, I personally would be scared to death to hold dinner interviews due to the fact that so much personal information would more than likely be divulged and we are all told to stay away from that topic during interviews.
  • If I'm tracking the balloting correctly, the use of french bread to coax corn is not an acceptable practice. I see only one vote in favor.

This is by no means to be confused with the Southern practice of sopping gravy with a biscuit.
  • >If I'm tracking the balloting correctly, the use
    >of french bread to coax corn is not an
    >acceptable practice. I see only one vote in
    >favor.
    >
    >

I have found that it is very hard to coax the corn with any type of bread especially if it is still on the cob.
  • The only, I say only, regret I have in my choice of life partners is she does'nt like biscuits, so I don't get them as often as I would prefer. Nothing beats soppin up gravy or almost anything else for that matter with a biscuit. And when you get it loaded up with gravy, you can just mash them little reluctant peas and corns right into the biscuit.....
  • Hold the bus!! I see 4 in favor of 'pushers.' Gene, Shadow, SMACE, and me. I don't see anyone on the side prohibiting the practice.
  • Wait a minute, Sam, I'm a long-time pusher but bread/biscuits/rolls with real cream butter are my weekness and go straight to my hips. So I usually just use my knife.
  • I use my knife too. I learned it from the europeans when I was a kid. We had several exchange students living with us while I was growing up. So, it goes back to the cultural warning. If you were interviewing somewhere in Europe it would be preferred; and if you used a bread like thing you probably would not be hired.
  • How reliable can those characters be who would allow for toothpicking corn, sopping peas with a gravy-laden biscuit or using a thumb to corral corn? Do you really want to associate with those three voters?

I am here to tell you that it is improper etiquette to use any form of bread to push food onto a fork unless the fork has Solo or Dixie stamped on the handle.

Next you'll tell me you think it's proper to suck the last seven inches of a spaghetti noodle through the lips as long as sauce isn't flung any further down the table than the next two diners.
  • Don, I'm sure they agree with me. They replied with humor because they're on my side and they don't want to hurt your feelings. They're really creative!

Spaghetti, by the way, should be twirled onto a spoon in the opposite hand of the dominant one. The trail end of the spaghetti that does not twirl can be chewed up into your mouth - never sucked in.

My advice would be to not order fried chicken, spaghetti, or hot wings on a first date or a dinner interview.
  • Okay, guys, here is one of many sites that will tell you all you need to know and more and a bunch that will scare you from ever eating in public again.

[url]www.elmira.edu/pdfs/campuslife/sife/etiquette.pdf[/url]

Stick to office interviews for the safest approach.

• Interesting. I passed, by the way. The article didn't mention Serbian ettiquette so I still don't know if it's proper to eat watermelon with a knife.
  • Indeed it is, but only a very finely,sharp-pointed one with which you can appropriately jab the firm, red square. Seeds, however can either be flicked away with the knife tip or discreetly patooeeyed in pairs behind the bench. It is fine to have contests with the seeds.
  • I think YES, especially in mixed company. Cheryl C.
  • Sorry to be late, but out doing other things. Does wearing a bib have any impact on any of the above?
  • Are you talking Mississippi Bib Overalls or a pink, California lace bib?
  • Either one, it's just the concept that's important.