JOB ABANDONMENT-HELP!!

We have an ee who has not shown up for 2days, no call, can we legally term her or do we have to wait 3days total??

Comments

• 40 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Do you have a policy? Our written policy states clearly that after 3 days of no report we consider them to have resigned. I wait for the third day and pray they don't show or call at the last minute.
  • This just happened to us in Sept. I have the same policy as Ray. The employee never did show up or return my phone calls. After the 3rd day, I sent her a letter of termination and closed her file out. She tried for UC, but didn't get it. Follow your policy and if you don't have one, has this happened before? If so, what did you do in the past? Try to be consistent.
  • We don't have a policy persay but we do have work rules #12-Failure to observe assigned working hours through repeated absences or tardiness and #14-Failure to properly notify supervisor when ee will be absent from work.
    We are an employment at will state.. LA. The BIG issue is that she says she has cancer (But our documentation tells us otherwise) that is what is the big monkey wrench, does she fall into a protected class?

• Our state does not have a specific waiting period. Other forumites will tell you that a single no call, no show is a self termination.

We do have a policy that 2 days of no call, no show is considered a self-termination. If your state does not dictate a waiting period, then it is up to you.
  • As far as I know, you don't need to wait three days. The key is what is your policy and what have you done in the past.
  • Are you a private Employer? Do you have an ee maual addressing non-excused absences. Have there been any communications from the ee? How have you handled similar instances in the past?

All these questions should be addressed. Is the ee "at-will"

Marty
  • Hi CajunQueen! How is New Orleans this time of year?

Don't panic. I'm assuming that there isn't anything in her med. file that might state she can be away from work or on a reduced work schedule & she's somehow misinterpreted it's meaning x;-) Here's what I would do - see if it works for you. I wouldn't be worried about any type of protected status, because I would call the ee at home & if I couldn't reach her, I would call her emergency contacts & try to reach her through them. I would document the calls/attempts (include dates and time) & if I reached her, I would tell her to get into work & write her up for her absences. If I didn't reach her, since you don't have a 3-day policy, I would term. for abandonment & I would staple the paper where I documented how many times I tried to reach her & the phone numbers I called.

I don't like the 3-day policy for this exact situation, we have a 1-day rule & a call-in by 9:00 a.m. if an ee is going to be absent. If the call comes later or not at all - a term. letter is sent out.

Happy New Year around The Big Easy!
  • Hey!Thanks for the post! All is not well,, they are terming her today,, and she was out for 3days,, worried
  • Without the 'monkey wrench' you later threw in, the employee can be terminated at will in this situation. Most policies I've seen, including our current one, state that two no-call no-shows is immediate resignation. The employee is considered to have resigned. Semantics. In any event, the termination is effectuated. Now you say she 'says she has cancer', which makes me wonder what you have done in regard to FMLA if anything. In light of this, I would not immediately terminate. I'd have an immediate conversation with her to determine the reason for her absences, her understanding of the policy and her medical condition if it affects her attendance. If she considers herself to be on intermittent medical leave (FMLA) then you have a tremendous miscommunication problem somewhere.
  • I would concur with Don's advice and add this. If you are subject to FMLA, and the EE gives you an inkling of a possible qualifying circumstance, by the REGS you are required to notify her in writing of her rights and responsibilites of FMLA entitlement. That does not diminish her responsibility to abide by your notification policy for absences, but will protect you if she would file a claim for denial of medical leave.
  • The FMLA angle definitely needs to be looked at here. If you're subject to FMLA and the employee meets the service and hours criteria, the vague comment about cancer is enough to put you on notice that FMLA may apply.

HOWEVER - even after an employee has established an FMLA-qualifing condition, we still hold employees to the absence reporting requirements in our attendance policy. We have terminated employees for three days no call no show, even though they have come back later and attributed the unreported absences to FMLA. We may be treading on the edge with this, but we haven't lost a grievance or EOC charge yet under these circumstances.
  • Thank you psrcello - you're post, whether you know it or not x;-), expanded on why I didn't think "protected status" would apply - even in a FMLA situation, the employee still has to follow attendance procedures & by not following them - risks termination. In CajunQueen's case, I would follow-up with the phone calls & inquire why the ee did not show up for work - precisely to cover the FMLA angle others had mentioned.
  • Good clarification. FMLA does not give the EEs carte blanche to ignore other aspects of the companies policies. Knowing this level of detail can help navigate through some of these issues that are often more complex than they look at first glance.
  • We've had similar situations in our business. We're a private employer in Florida and have no contracts with employees. Everyone is at will. We have a policy that will allow for termination due to resignation after a no call/no show, and we've used it. As an HR person, a rapid decision to consider the employee as resigned makes me nervous because I have seen some come back with a medical statement supporting there was a valid reason for the absence--not a valid reason for not calling in but a valid reason for absence. We have had mixed results in unemployment claims. Our experience has been that employees who can't find a way to let us know they will be out will inevitably find more than enough time to respond to the U/C process, generally within a day or two of their resignation and generally will point the finger at something that was out of their control (didn't have transportation or babysitter, supervisor didn't post the work schedule). Florida's U/C seems to award U/C compensation if the "resignation" resulted from no fault of the employee. We have several examples of U/C awards in closed personnel files. It's frustrating. I've pushed a few supervisors to hang in there and document, document, document. An attendance abuser will provide the opportunity. A legitimate need for absence will reveal itself as well. Our supervisors most often will resist my advice to not be too hasty, so I don't always win. I usually do have to do the investigation that results from a recently resigned employee's complaint of unfair treatment. Whether it's true or not, a hasty decision to consider someone resigned will quite often lead to a complaint involving harassment or gender or color discrimination (i.e., my supervisor never liked me, so . . .). The allegations are usually unfounded, but it will take days to weeks to complete a full report. I don't know how you would know a diagnosis, but if your information is correct, you may have a legitimate need for absence on your hands. If other FMLA eligibility criteria are met by the employee or your place of business, you may have an FMLA case on your hands. Remember advance notice is desired in FMLA, not required. If your policy allows you some flexibility, now might be a good time to use it. If not, be consistent, forget the diagnosis (which you probably should do anyway), and focus on the facts: absence xxx # of days, no call in, policy says _______. If you have reasonable knowledge that there is a serious diagnosis that might require an absence (and it seems you might) and FMLA is an option (don't know, you didn't say), you may get the opportunity to answer an inquiry from your state's DOL office about whether you understand the FMLA process, and you may get the opportunity to answer an U/C claim without anything to contradict the employee's story.

• Stilldazed says an awful lot. She also makes an awful lot of sense.
  • Let me offer up a different way to do the discharge.

Send a letter ordering the emplyee back to work. Inform him that his absence is unauthorized (and with pay) as of the first day whenever that was since he has not reported any need to be absent or called into work to explain his absence...and that he is to return to work no later than his regular starting time (be specific) on x date (give it two days from mailing). If he does not return to work as ordered, he will be discharged.

Further that if he does return to work as ordered, he is subject to disciplinary action for the unauthorized absence and failure to contact his supervisor and that the disciplinary action can include discharge.

Put a contact number if the has any questions.

Give him specific deadlines.

Send the letter out by certified mail, return receipt request, and a copy out via reguular first class mail to the last address of record.

This may be more than you need to do in at will situations, but I suspect it will save the company the UI costs if he files a UI claim for termination.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 12-30-03 AT 07:34AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Our letter states that on the following date(s) you neither reported to work nor called in. If we do not hear from you by ----, we will assume that you are no longer interested in your job and terminate you from the payroll.

• Forgetting the potential medical issue for a moment, I suggest industry will not survive if we utilize the practice Hatchetman suggests. I've copied part of it below:

"Send a letter ordering the emplyee back to work. Inform him that his absence is unauthorized (and with pay) as of the first day whenever that was since he has not reported any need to be absent or called into work to explain his absence...and that he is to return to work no later than his regular starting time (be specific) on x date (give it two days from mailing). If he does not return to work as ordered, he will be discharged."

Now, the employee has already been absent without calling for two days. It is suggested that we now write that person a letter giving them another several days to decide whether or not to report to work ("two days from date of mailing"). The real kicker, and the part that blows me totally out of the water, is the recommendation to PAY this person in their absence, while they decide what they might do.

But, I must remember two things. The recommendation is (1) from the public sector, and (2) from California.

• Don D says a lot with very few words, makes a lot of sense, and sure knows how to make others feel good! He must be a great HR person.
  • Don't know what to think of this compliment passing between Stilldazed and Don D.
  • It is strictly e-paper to e-paper. I have no clue who Don D is, except a name that shows up on this forum from time to time. I have worked in HR for just over 2 years in a very educating situation and had no prior experience when I took the plunge. (My lack of experience was probably a plus. Had I had the experience many of you seem to have (compliment, compliment, compliment), I would have passed on the job.) HR Forum has been a major source of info for me. I've watched it for advice for two years and only recently started to post. Don D's comment made me feel competent for a minute. (Actually, many of you should take the credit. I've been learning from you.) I'm sure everyone who signs on can relate, but even with an HR Forum compliment, I can probably still count on one hand with fingers left over the number of times someone suggested I might be anything other than an obstacle, an adversary, someone who doesn't know what she's talking about, an extremist, an alarmist, an idealist, a nit picker, . . .. One thing I've learned is that compliments are rare, so I should sieze the moment. I looked as Don D's statement as a great way to end the year, in the face of other issues currently on my desk--employee allegations of harassement (yesterday), nasty Cobra cancellation for nonpayment of premiums (today), payroll miscalculation (yestereday), office A/C issue with sore feelings among coworkers (yesterday), notification that a claim of illegal hiring practice has been given permission to continue by EEOC (this morning), nonresponders to SS number verifications (today) , . . ., you know, all the usual, exciting stuff. Looks like I won't get tomorrow off!

I sincerely hope you all find a warm memory or funny story in your recollections of 2003 and that you all have a great 2004.
  • I think Popeye was just funn'n around Stilldazed. Hope you will continue to hang out and that we will see more of you in 2004
  • Yes Stilldazed, I was just "funnin". Don catches a lot of heck sometimes for his comments or his opinion so I was just doing a little jabbing. You are correct that compliments are too few and far between so it is refreshing to see one given. Having read some of the threads in other sections about age and length of service of some of the forumites, I am probably older than a lot of their parents and I too glean a lot of valuable information and insight from the forum.
  • Unless I have an impending termination I don't know about, I expect to be here. My general sense is that there is an awful lot of playful banter than runs through these pages. That's exactly how I saw today's messages as well.
  • As unusual as California labor practices are, I can't help but believe that Hatchetman's suggestion that this unauthorized absence is "with pay" must be a typo. I'm guessing he really meant withOUT pay -- although since it's public sector, who really knows?

This has been an interesting thread; wish I'd stumbled over it sooner.
  • Yes, it should have been "without pay". It was a typo, which I am known for on another forum and sometimes on this one.

Even public sector in California doesn't require an emplyee to be paid under this situation if the absence is unauthorized.
  • Still Dazed: You never know who you'll impact! Your compliment made me finish out the year thinking that maybe, just maybe I'm not the harsh letch some of the Forum operators and participants enjoy making me out to be. I've learned to spot the 'rising stars' among the new participants and agree that you're one of them. Let me hasten to say, before the peanut gallery starts groaning, I don't have a clue who the lady/gentleman is; I just see what's in print. I'm trying to keep my posts more serious nowadays in light of the police officers walking the beat enjoying their power.
  • Harsh letch or no harsh letch doesn't matter much to me.

Whether the "rising star" comment is true remains to be seen, but my personal philosophy is that rising stars are held up by some sort of support mechanism. Without the proper support, a rising star would fall to the ground.

I think I hear the faint rumblings of groaning in the distance. Thanks for the guidance y'all never knew you gave!
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 12-30-03 AT 03:46PM (CST)[/font][br][br]After 20 years working in an union environment and public sector with terminations being subject to forms of "binding arbitration" I can tell you that the practice I identifiied will work more cleanly in those types of enviornment than what Don proposed.

I was offering up a different alternative to make sure there is a viable termination. If you're in at will, where management can get away with more arbitrary but legal actions, then "who cares" about what I suggested and you should fire the employee right now (and throw away the company's investment in the employee).

• >
    >After 20 years working in an union environment
    >and public sector with terminations being
    >subject to forms of "binding arbitration" I can
    >tell you that the practice I identifiied will
    >work more cleanly in those types of enviornment
    >than what Don proposed.

I've worked in public sector and union environments for 34 years. Is that really relevant?