Alien Card Not Renewed-Now What?

An ee of 10 years has not been able to get his alien registration card renewed (he has appealed and lost). Are we liable if we continue to employ him? (His original card was valid and not expired.) The BCIS says that we violate the I-9 if we ask him for new documentation so what do we do now? Any forum immigrations lawyers out there, please weigh in on this one. Thanks!

Comments

• 35 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 10-31-03 AT 11:30AM (CST)[/font][p]Here's a quote from The Handbook For Employers, Instructions for Completing Form I-9, Department of Justice, Immigration & Naturalization service. Currently these instructions still stand since none have been developed to supercede them, nor will any likely be.

"Consideration of a future employment authorization expiration date in determining whether an alien is qualified for a particular job may constitute employment discrimination. You will, however, need to reverify the employee's eligibility to work when ANY expiration date on teh Form I-9 is reached. When an employee's work authorization expires, you must reverify his or her employment eligibility. You may use section 3 of the form or use a new Form I-9. The employee must present a document that shows either an extension of the employee's initial employment authorization or new work authorization. If the employee cannot provide you with proof of current work authorization, you cannot continue to employ that person. You must reverify on the Form I-9 not later than the date the employee's work authorization expires. If an investigation reveals than an employer has knowingly hired or knowingly continued to employ an unauthorized alien or has failed to comply with the employment eligibility verification requirements, the agency may take action. First offense: Not less than $250 and not more than $2000 per unauthorized alien; second offense $2000-$5000; Subsequent offenses: $3000-$10000.

That's clear enough to me personally, regardless of the comments you got from the bureaucrat.
  • Don, I called the Bureau of Citizenship and immigration Services again and spoke with yet another "bureaucrat" and they re-verified what I was advised previously about the I-9 form itself which can be found at [url]www.bcis.gov/graphics/howdoi/faqeev/htm[/url] under "Green Cards". Perhaps what you have is outdated as I have recently learned that the Immigration and Naturalization Service became the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services (BCIS) in March of 2003.

However, my concern is as stated in my post - since the er can't go back and ask for additional documentation - what do we do now? Are we liable?
  • njjel: Contrary to popular belief a illegal foreign national, one with out a legal right to be in our country and working is also with out legal status and the protections of EEOC, Title VII. Now, I have not put this fact to the test, but before January 1, 2003 we will most likely send those in a similar circumstance to yours packing.

First thing to do is to re-verify the Name, birthday, and gender with the SSN through the SSA 800 telephone number. Given that there is a mis-match then you definately have an illegal foreign national. Suspend this ee immediately so that he is not working, send the ee to the SSA to straighten out the mess. If the ee does not return within 5 working days terminate the employee/employer relationship. Just sent one out last week, had another walkoff on Wednesday and we are just waiting the 3 day no call no show policy to expire and I'll send him packing.

2nd, given a match then this ee has truly let his welcome expire and the ee is now under illegal status, check with your attorney to make sure that the ee now is in the same category of all other illegals with no rights under our law. Afterwhich, I would follow the same procedure as above: suspend to stop the working relationship, send to SSA to fix the mess with the mis-match, who will send him to the INS, if the ee does not return within 5 days cancel your employer/employee relationship.

Cold hard facts of the events of the day. Our President Bush and President Fox were going to try and fix the issues. However, 9/11/01 followed by the IRAQ war and the lack of support for our actions to protect our country, things have changed.

The Department of Home Land Security is now incharge of INS and Department of Labor is in agreement. Our working world with 1.6 million illegal foreign nationals working in side our borders is about to be cleaned-up. Prepare for the "sucking noise" when they all get up and go home because they are going to be un-employed with no protections under our laws and no right to be working and drawing an income and willing paying taxes with every pay day.

What do you do now? PUNT and hope that some other team grabs the ball and runs with it-----believe me you will not want the ball!

PORK
  • What is the actually card that expired? It should be on the I-9 form in list A.

If it is a I-551 card (the typical "green card") then it does not have to be reverified when it expires.

If it is either a I-688 or I-688A then these need to be renewed and reverified. If he can't get these renewed, then you have to cut him loose.
  • HRsage: You must be reading from the Californiaaa Federal Law, my US Federal Law on page 6 of the Federal Handbook it specifically shows the reverification of the Alien Resident Card I-551 document no# Aoooooo expiration 6/23/94. I recommend you get a copy of the Federal Law Handbook for Empoloyers. It is very handy and very easy to read and understand for those of us living out side of the borders of The country of California.

PORK
  • PORK, CA may be extreme, but we are no different when it comes to the I-9 form requirements. And beleive me in this state we have a large population of immigrant workers, both legal and illegal, so we need to stay on top of things like these.

The I-551 DOES have an expiration date, but that is only for the card. It does not mean that their employment elibility expires also. The I-551 establishes permanent residency, and work elibility, the expiration date on the card does not mean that the status of permanent residency or work elibility expires also.

This is taken from the BCIS website in regards to "Green cards".......

"Expiration dates do not affect current employment, since employers are neither required nor permitted to re-verify the employment authorization of aliens who have presented one of these cards to satisfy I-9 requirements (this is true for conditional residents as well as permanent residents). Note: Even if unexpired, “green cards” must appear genuine and establish identity of the
    cardholder"

• HRsage: While I appreciate your confidence to the WEB sites, I speak from personal discussions on this issue with the Director of the Department of Labor and workforce enforcement which services our state region (HE WOULD APPROVE THE RIGHT TO WORK UNDER I-551 PROCEDURES) and his advice fits with my hardcopy of the Federal Employer's Handbook, and it makes it very clear to me that I am to record an expiration date, and reverify the I-9, I am not concerned with any particular document that the concerned individual presents unless it is the same one presented with a date of expiration.

HRsage you are living in a sea of the 1.6 million foreign nationals that are here as illegal aliens, we have a few. Our/MY efforts on this thread are designed to alert everyone and NJJEL being only one, there is a hell'va mess out there in our world of work and the cost are as you can read above or below pretty serious. Not only are the fines serious business, but you individually are accountable for your companies' actions and could be grossly negleigent for not taking some "good faith positive action to protect the company".

Let's see $5000.00 per ee X # of days (365 days X 3 years is 1095 days of personal knowledge of the illegal foreign national working in our company) is $5,475,000.00 for my HR actions based on a confession in good faith and our companies' desire to keep these good workers, for we were of the same belief that most were that National Origin and Title VII came to play in this. The courts have cleared that mess and the illegal foreign national does not have a ligitmate claim to any protection as an illegal alien. Therefore, any opportunity to rid the company of a potential risk, one would be so wise to take that action. OH, IN THE ABOVE CALCULATIONS THAT IS FOR ONE (1) EE AND I'V GOT (10) TEN, THAT WE ARE WAITING OUR GOOD FAITH EFFORT TO GET THEIR STATUS CHANGED! My calculator will not add that many oooooooooos till it hurts.

TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT BUT DON'T CHOKE ON IT, WE ARE ONLY WRITING ABOUT POSSIBILITIES.
    PORK

PORK
  • For anyone who would care to personally check with the BCIS (former INS) the 800 number is 800 356 2099. However, I'm with Don - I'm waiting to hear from a forum attorney - If we aren't permitted to re-verify, and we aren't allowed to employ illegal aliens, how do we protect our company????
  • I would like for njjel to consult an attorney and post his answer. Either that or one of the more infamous attorneys who frequent this site. This would take minimal attorney research and is the kind of answer we need. Where are Santire and the gentleman VMiller from Missouri and Ann Williams and the recently departed lady attorney from Texas or my state's Mr. Irby. We seem to be comparing an older policy to a potential newer one and an obsolete agency to a fledgeling one. People whose papers have expired are illegal. People who knowingly employ people who are no longer eligible to work are in violation of the law and can be fined until they bleed. Now if we can't demand they update their papers or fire them, what do you suppose we are to do? Continue to violate the law? I will send a private mail to Mr. Irby. Will some of the rest of you do the same with your state's editor attached to this website?
  • I second Don's advice. We just had a thread earlier in the week when this suddenly came-up. I had advised to re-verify upon expiration (as I have always done and known to be the proper procedure), however, out of nowhere cam HRSage and the excerpt from the web site. I would still think that until formal guidance is disseminated to the "field", situations such as these should be staffed to coporate counsel (or whomever you use) for a thourough legal review.

Gene
  • “GREEN CARDS”
    I'm printing this right off of the federal website: [url]http://www.bcis.gov/graphics/howdoi/faqeev.htm[/url]

The terms Resident Alien Card, Permanent Resident Card, Alien Registration Receipt Card, and Form I-551 all refer to documentation issued to an alien who has been granted permanent residence in the U.S.. Once granted, this status is permanent. However, the document that an alien carries as proof of this status may expire. Starting with the “pink” version of the Resident Alien Card (the “white” version does not bear an expiration date), and including the new technology Permanent Resident Cards, these documents are valid for either two years (conditional residents) or ten years (permanent residents). When these cards expire, the alien cardholders must obtain new cards. An expired card cannot be used to satisfy Form I-9 requirements for new employment. Expiration dates do not affect current employment, since employers are neither required nor permitted to re-verify the employment authorization of aliens who have presented one of these cards to satisfy I-9 requirements (this is true for conditional residents as well as permanent residents). Note: Even if unexpired, “green cards” must appear genuine and establish identity of the cardholder.

The key sentences here for me are "Expiration dates do not affect current employment." And, "since employers are neither required nor permitted to re-verify the employment authorization of aliens who have presented one of these cards to satisfy I-9 requirements (this is true for conditional residents as well as permanent residents)." My answer to your question is no - you're not liable - you're not supposed to recertify employment authorization if one of the cards was presented at time of hire & since the employee is currently working for you - expiration doesn't affect current employment.

As a precautionary measure, I would print off the section from the website that this comes from & staple it to the form. If you are audited, you can show that you did research the issue & made a decision based on the available information.

• something is wrong here! the 10 year employee has applied and appealed and lost, this must not be one of those green, oink, expired or unexpired permanent Residents or why would he/she be applying for and denied a renewal??? Why even apply or appeal an already exsisting legal status????

FOLKS I SAY AGAIN THIS IS A BIG MESS AND EACH SHOULD FEEL COMFORTABLE WITH ONE'S POSITION ON THIS ISSUE FROM DAY ONE. THANKS FOR THE DIRECT QUOTE AND I'LL PRINT IT OFF AND ATTACH IT TO ME WALLET AS UNCLE SAM COMES AFTER MY NEGLECT!

THE BIGGEST CONCERN, THAT I HAVE IS WHO DO WE TRUST? FOR YOUR INFORMATION THE AMNESTY PROGRAM IN WHICH WE HAVE TWO OF OUR 10 REAL CASES, ON WHICH WE HAVE APPLIED FOR AN EXCEPTION TO THE RULES IN ORDER TO GET TO THE NEXT LEVEL. THE ole INS I-551 A & B, CALLS FOR A "REQUIREMENT TO ADVERTISE LOCALLY TO FILL A POSITION IN WHICH OUR ILLEGALS ARE ALREADY SITTING IN ORDER TO PROCESS INTO THE I-551B PHASE. IF WE ADVERTISE WE WILL HAVE US CITIZENS RESPOND AND THAT WOULD KILL THE I-551 A & B REASON FOR BEING. THE REGIONAL DIRECTOR HAS REFUSED TO GIVE THE EXCEPTION REQUESTED, AND THE AMNESTY APPLICATION IS ON HOLD WAITING THE FEDERAL DECISION. COMING DOWN THE ROAD IS THE SSA & IRS MIS-MATCH; DOL IS WAITING FOR US TO BE SQUEEZED SO HARD WE'LL DUMP THE ALIENS & CANCEL THE APPLICATIONS.

I JUST WISH WE WOULD BE ABLE TO MOVE ONE WAY OR THE OTHER! THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH HOGS IN THE WORLD TO PAY FOR THIS LITTLE MESS AND FINES.

PORK
  • >something is wrong here! the 10 year employee has applied and appealed
    >and lost, this must not be one of those green, oink, expired or
    >unexpired permanent Residents or why would he/she be applying for and
    >denied a renewal??? Why even apply or appeal an already exsisting
    >legal status????

This is why I asked first what Card are we talking about that expired. It is probably not a I-551, and is most likely a I-688 or I-688A or B. Only those need to be updated.

I'm also interested in what the forum lawyers have to say about this. (I'm certainly not one, nor do I play one on T.V.) Where are those LAWYER DAWGS when you need them?

PORK we can read you loud and clear, there's no need to SHOUT.

And Mwild31 thanks for the backup. I was feeling a little alone. :)

• WE ARE NEVER ALONE, DON'T FORGET I'M HARD OF HEARING AND MY FINGERS DON'T WORK SO FAST, I NEED TO EAT MOE PORK, BUT I CAN'T GET ENOUGH! BESIDES MY DIABETIES KICKS IN AND I GET LIGHT HEADED TOO. WE HAVE ALL HAD A VERY BLESSED DAY GETTING INVOLVED AND I BET EVERYONE IS OUT THERE WONDERING WHAT NEXT WILL THESE OLD DAWGS TEACH ME NEXT. "DANDY DON" I STICK WITH YOU AND THE HARD COPY IS REAL AND PRINTED AND UNTIL I HAVE A PUBLISHED CHANGE IT IS STILL MY BIBLE FOR THIS SUBJECT. AFTER ALL 10 OUT OF 1.6 MILLION IS JUST A LITTLE FISH!
    PORK
  • No problem HRsage - everyone means well & we are all just trying our best. At the risk of furthering the discord though, I do want to throw in another couple of sentences that have also caught my eye:

"The terms Resident Alien Card, Permanent Resident Card, Alien Registration Receipt Card, and Form I-551 all refer to documentation issued to an alien who has been granted permanent residence in the U.S.. Once granted, this status is permanent. However, the document that an alien carries as proof of this status may expire."

So, their STATUS IS PERMANENT, however the DOCUMENT that demonstrates proof may expire. It would seem then, that they are not 'illegal' to work in the US as their US residency has been permanently established, it's just the paperwork has expired. Bummer if you're looking for a new job, doesn't matter if you are continuing to work for the same employer.

Have any of the attorney's responded yet?
  • ONLY US SHADE TREE LAWYER'S and we are keeping the lines pretty hot! Maybe they are in court, or a hearing, or a "rainmaking" opportunity and our dialogue is getting a lot of the quails to flush from cover for them to jump upon and look like or read like real attorneys!

PORK
  • Pork - you're a poet and don't know it.
  • I almost hesitate to get into this one, but some time back we had the same discussion and seems to me the answer was that a "permanent resident" alien doesn't need to be reverified. The term "permanent resident" would mean to me that they are authorized to live here "permanently."

The ones that do need to be reverified are "Employment Authorization Cards." (There may be other types of cards too.) The one I am looking at says plainly on the front "The person identified is authorized to work in the U. S. for the validity of this card." On the back it says, "This card is not evidence of U. S. citizenship or permanent residence. This document is void if altered, and may be revoked by the Immigration and Naturalization Service." It is Form I-766.

I think the consensus we reached in that earlier discussion is that we are talking about two different types of immigrant status.

• No worries about getting involved - there seems to be some confusion - so again - forum legal eagles - can you help us solve this riddle?
  • I visited the "INS" website and was referred to the new "U.S. Office of Citizenship and Immigration Services" (USCIS.gov) Just changed as they have become part of Homeland Security. They have a very good website that addresses about everything you can think of relative to immigration. If your employee has a receipt for their application to update their work authorization, they can check the status on-line. It requires the receipt number.

I have a new question of sorts...in reviewing files of our I-9s that need reverification, I found one that is expired. The person tells me she has applied for a new one, but they told her it will take 120 days for her to get it. I asked if she has a receipt or something to verify it was in process. She's supposed to bring it to me.

I'm finding that this is a huge entangled bureaucracy that moves very slowly. We have a number of very good employees that have had to wait and wait for documentation. The question that started this thread said that someone's appeal had been denied. Can we continue to employ someone based on their word that their application for permanent residence or renewal is in process?

• The resident attorneys are obviously staying clear of this one.
  • You are right, Don. Where are the attorneys?

If I followed the letter of the law, I'd be firing some good people right now. But I feel like part of the problem is the paperwork snafu and the slow moving bureaucracy. We've had others in the past who said the same things, and with a little time, they've produced the documents. They usually come up with receipts, letters from their attorneys or other verification that things are in process.

Would an INS inspector have any leeway on something like this?
  • In CA we just take them on their word that they are getting it processed.
    JUST KIDDING!! I just wanted to make Don and Pork jump in their seats.

We must have some type of documention stating the time frame for the renewal. Usually it's 90-120 days, but they get a NOTICE OF ACTION from the INS, stating this. If they don't have this by the time their cards expire (only the non-perm residents) then we cut them loose, because keeping them without it is a violation.

But let's see what others do to. :) (I still can't do emoticons.)
  • Thanks, will ask specifically for Notice of Action.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-10-03 AT 06:55PM (CST)[/font][p]Now I know why the attorney's did not respond, they are offering an audio class hosted by DEBRA AUERBACH CLEPHANE, an attorney with the law firm of
    Vercruysse Murray & Calzone, P.C., writes and edits a monthly
    column entitled THE IMMIGRATION CORNER for MICHIGAN EMPLOYMENT LAW
    LETTER:

HR Hero Audio Conference:
    "Vigilance vs. Discrimination: I-9 Compliance for Your Workforce"

Register now RISK-FREE for this information-packed audio
    conference for just $167 per listening site by clicking the link
    below or by calling KRM Information Services (which is handling
    registration for this event) at 800-775-7654. You risk nothing by
    registering, because we will refund every penny, no questions
    asked, if you are in any way dissatisfied with this audio
    conference.
    [url]https://www.krm.com/regonline/mlsvcregs.nsf/mls8197-0[/url]
  • Okay, so who's gonna volunteer to take this course? Anyone, anyone..?
    Shall we start a fundraising drive to cover the cost?
    Mwild, where do you find this stuff? You should change your screen name to Google. :)
  • HRsage, you mean you don't get email notices of all the seminars/audio presentations etc? I wish I could afford to participate in all of them, but I depend on you "sages" for a lot of support and advice.

The employee I was concerned about brought me a card that doesn't have an expiration date. It says she is authorized to work till an "indefinite"date. She brought another form that indicates permanent resident status has been approved, but it takes up to 545 days to receive documents.

The wheels move slowly.

Happy Veterans Day.

• What kind of card is that? I've never seen a card with an "indefinite date" This seems very odd. Every card I've seen has a expiration date on it. Does it actually say "indefinate" on it? I just find this really hard to believe, but I could be wrong. I suggest you get some advice from legal counsel on this one.

Anyone else come across a work authorization card with no expiration date??

And I may have the name, but I'm far from being a "sage". I just hope to be one day, when I'm old like Don and Pork. :)

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-11-03 AT 02:04PM (CST)[/font][br][br]The document that says indefinite is not a work permit per se. It is stamped "Asylum status granted pursuant to section 208 INA valid to indefinite" It is date stamped July 24, 1998.

I have a copy of an Notice of Action on an Application for Employment Authorization. I checked the receipt # on it on-line and found it to be approved.

I also have a copy of Notice of Action an Application to Adjust to Permanent Resident Status. On-line, the case status is pending and it says it is taking between 570 and 600 days for processing this kind of case. As I said, the wheels of bureaucracy move slowly.

The employee has worked for us 11 years, and has had to renew her work permit annually. It has always been approved.

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-11-03 AT 02:21PM (CST)[/font][br][br]HRSage - Parabeagle's going to get you confused with me, HRmanager, HRgalME, and all the others with the HR prefix. x:D