Went from HR Coord. to HR Gen'list & NEED ADVICE

Hi All,

I recently received the opportunity of a lifetime when I was accepted for a temp-to-hire position as an HR Generalist.  Previously my role was as an HR Coordinator.  I'm so grateful for and excited about my new role, but I'm also very nervous.  What advice do you have for me in terms of preparing myself?  What do you think are the most important topics for me to learn and the best place(s)/resources to do so?

Thanks in advance! 

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • If you are not already a member of SHRM, I would advise you to become a member.  Check to see if your new company will pay for your membership for you - some do.  I would also check to see if your community has a local chapter - they can be a great resource as well.  Our local SHRM chapter also sponsors a twice-yearly PHR/SPHR Study Group for 10 weeks, to help those who want to be certified in HR (Professional in Human Resources/Senior Professional in Human Resources).  If you Google PHR/SPHR study guides, you'll find a lot of available resources for studying for certification, which also are good resources for best practices in HR.

Good luck!

Mary B

• Depending on where your strengths and weaknesses are, I would suggest the following:

www.benefitslink.com and their forums are great for benefits issues; if you know of specific benefits they have, I would suggest reading the plan documents and any SPDs.

www.payrolltalk.com and their forums are great for payroll issues (and sometimes flow into benefit deduction type issues)

www.eeoc.gov has a lot of great resources on discrimination issues/ADA, etc.

If you will be dealing a lot with FMLA, I would suggest actually reading through the regulations on the DOL's website.  They also have an e-laws, Q&A that is good.

Check out your state laws and state website for employers for things like state wage laws, workers compensation, notices that must be posted, and any new hire/termination notices due, etc.

{I came from a benefits (401k/pension/exec benefits) backgound with one of the major HR consulting firms and moved into more of a generalist position after having stayed home for about 6 years with kids....I tried to tackle one thing at a time and researched as needed, but it was a small group of companies and within 4 months I had pulled them out of a PEO and was doing all HR/payroll in house. I found forums and google to be very good resources, but the links above are the best I have found.  I do agree if you can get a paid subscription to something like BLR or SHRM, that would not hurt!}