Weather related closures

If a business (in Connecticut) decide not to open due to weather related conditions is the employer required to pay for the day, or can they just allow the option of taking a vacation day or taking the time unpaid.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Connecticut may have a state law that I am not familiar with but here is information from a DOL Opinion letter. http://www.dol.gov/whd/opinion/FLSA/2005/2005_10_28_46_FLSA.htm I think within is a complete answer.

Forced vacations for a closed business. The FLSA does not require an employer to provide vacation time. If an employer closes its business because of an emergency, it may require exempt employees to use any accrued vacation time. However, if the exempt employee has no accrued vacation time, the employee must be paid for those days missed, unless the business is closed for an entire workweek. If the business is closed for only part of the workweek, the exempt employee who has no vacation time must be paid (FLSA Opinion 2005-41). Please keep in mind that different rules apply to the injured or ill exempt employee or the employee who does not report to work in an emergency. State law may be different.

BLR Analysis

• I will just add to this that I don't know of an employer that charges vacation time from its exempt employees for involuntary site closure.