Young adult (to age 29) NY law change

Is anyone else as frustrated with the pace this law change has taken?  Effective September 1, 2009 NYS issued regulations stating that insurers needed to cover unmarried young adults under age 29 and for the last 8 weeks Oxford has told me they are working on getting this up to date in their systems but in the meantime I have severals young adults pended in their system unable to get coverage.  Does anyone else have this issue and is there anything we can do to get them to make this a priority?  I don't understand why it is taking so long when our surrounding states already offer this.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [quote user="6274086"]Is anyone else as frustrated with the pace this law change has taken?  Effective September 1, 2009 NYS issued regulations stating that insurers needed to cover unmarried young adults under age 29 and for the last 8 weeks Oxford has told me they are working on getting this up to date in their systems but in the meantime I have severals young adults pended in their system unable to get coverage.  Does anyone else have this issue and is there anything we can do to get them to make this a priority?  I don't understand why it is taking so long when our surrounding states already offer this.[/quote]

...what's the penalty for non compliance and which government body is responsible for enforcement?  If the regs have enforcement teeth, then dropping a letter or making a call to the enforcement agency speed things along.

• Although the effective date of the new law is September 1, 2009 it applies to insurance contracts issued, renewed, modified, altered or amended on or after such datethat date. In fact, the statute specifically say the new coverage coverage has to be made available at the inception of all new policies and at the first anniversary date of a policy following the September 1, 2009. For example, for a calendar year policy, the coverage doesn’t have to be made available until January 1, 2010. If the coverage is requested in a renewal, but the insurer does not implement it, I would get in touch with the New York Department of Insurance at 1-800-342-3736.