Who Should Have Security Camera Access

When our current security cameras were installed I was unaware that all managers (except HR) were given access to live and historical data.  I am very uncomfortable with this because the other day the purchasing manager called me into his office to tell me that a former employee was in the building.  The employee was in a location of the building that none of his employees are in or would be in so I am concerned why he was even looking at that particular location.  Who is allowed access to the cameras in your company and why? <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [quote user="HRFLDist"] When our current security cameras were installed I was unaware that all managers (except HR) were given access to live and historical data.  I am very uncomfortable with this because the other day the purchasing manager called me into his office to tell me that a former employee was in the building.  The employee was in a location of the building that none of his employees are in or would be in so I am concerned why he was even looking at that particular location.  Who is allowed access to the cameras in your company and why?[/quote]

This is a little crazy, actually.  I would not allow business supervisors to have access to historical unless employee investigations are conducted by business supervisors.  That should belong to security and potentially appropriate bodies in HR (or security should be responsible for providing access to HR with appropriate paper trail).

The system you have in place may not be sophisticated enough to make it so that a person can only see some cameras but not others.  Options on such systems increase price substantially and quickly.  Also, many systems display several cameras on a single monitor, your purchasing manager may not have been looking at a particular place so much as noticing a familliar face on the monitor as it traversed different cameras.

• Thank you so much for your response....I have spoken to the owner of the company and we are now changing the camera access to HR, Security, and Owners.