Employee Assistance Program

My boss would like for me to start researching for something similar to an employee assistance program. She is interested in allowing current employees to donate their vacation time to other employees experiencing hardship. I haven't heard of such a program. Does anyone have any resources or experience implementing a program similar to this one? We currently use Horizon Health but I think she wants something internal. Any information you have would be helpful.

Thank you,
Griselda Ramos

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Hi Griselda:

What you are describing sounds more like a leave bank or leave donation program. Employers that are considering the adoption of a leave bank/donation program should first determine employee interest in such a program and then consider the following issues:

Confidentiality. Whether the employer will identify the individuals receiving and donating the leave.

Rules for eligibility. Whether the leave may be used only for medical leave, or for bereavement, personal days, vacation, or even birthdays. Who will be eligible, e.g., only employees or employees attending to family members. How requests for leave will be received and approved or rejected.

Method of donation. Whether employees may donate sick leave, vacation time, or both. Whether a maximum limit should be placed on the amount of leave donated.

FLSA. Requirements that exempt employees must take a full day off rather than only a few hours.

Leave calculations. Whether the leave will be “hour-for-hour,” regardless of pay scale, or will be calculated by wage, and ensuring that recordkeeping accounts for leave under the Family and Medical Leave Act.