Retirement vs. resignation?

The employee states they are "retiring" and the company is documenting and treating it as a resignation. Is there a difference from a legal or recordkeeping standpoint, and does it matter which words the employee uses in their written notice?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [quote user="cb499"]The employee states they are "retiring" and the company is documenting and treating it as a resignation. Is there a difference from a legal or recordkeeping standpoint, and does it matter which words the employee uses in their written notice?[/quote]

The only potential issue with this separation will relate to benefits.

There's nothing wrong with documenting it as a resignation with the cause being "stated he is retiring."  However, depending on age and benefits, this could have impact on what you need to do.

• TXHRGuy, Thank you for the clarification. We are working the benefits side and just wanted to make sure official wording wasn't an issue.

• [quote user="cb499"] TXHRGuy, Thank you for the clarification. We are working the benefits side and just wanted to make sure official wording wasn't an issue.[/quote]

Whatever HRforME says is what I'd do in this area.  Other people know plenty more about benefits and retirement situations than I do but they're not as active here.  I would think the primary thing is that you don't make it look like it's something other than what it is and ensure that you document why the person does or does not get whatever benefits he or she might be eligible for upon retirement.