Paper I-9's and Background checks - California

Can I store both the I-9's and Background checks in the employee file?  I was told that the 1-9's had to be stored separately.

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I-9s do NOT have to be stored separately.  It is best practice to store them separately.  If you get a notice of audit, you have 48 hours to get all the I-9s out of the employee files or else you are at risk of having to let ICE rifle through your employment files rather than just your I-9s.

Placing background checks in the EE file is dependent on who has access to them.  That's not stuff yuor average line supervisor needs to be seeing.

• Thanks, I will let my employer know.
  • Another consideration is that EE files typically stick around for at least 5 years after termination.  Your I-9 docs can be tossed 1 year after termination or 3 years after hire, whichever is longer.  By storing and destroying them separately, you can reduce your liability.
  • So this means after an employee has been with the company for 3 years, their I-9 can be tossed?
  • NO!  Please don't toss away I-9s for active employees. You must keep all I-9s for active employees!!! What TXHRGuy was saying is that if you terminate someone then you can toss the I-9 after one year or 3 years from the hire date, whichever is longer. Here are two examples to help you:

Employee A - Hired 1/15/08, termed on 6/15/08, I-9 must be kept until 1/15/11(b/c 3 years from hire date is longer than 1 year from term date)

Employee B - Hired 2/14/00, termed on 6/15/08, I-9 must be kept until 6/15/09 (b/c 1 year from term date is longer)

Does that make sense?

• Let me rephrase:

After termination, the I-9 must be retained for either 3 years from date of hire or 1 year from date of termination, whichever is longer.  IT's examples are correct.

• ok, yes, that makes sense.....sorry for the confusion---looking too much at face value here today.
  •  

Employee B - Hired 2/14/00, termed on 6/15/08, I-9 must be kept until 6/15/09 (b/c 1 year from term date is longer)- <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

What happens if this employee is rehired after 1 year, my understanding is that a new I-9 Form needs to be filled out. Am I correct? 

Also if this employee is hired back within 1 year period, we'll be using the existing I-9 record on file by filling out section 3-Updating and Reverification. Shouldn’t the updated I-9 be filed with 2009 records?

Thanks

• [quote user="vmenghaney08"]

What happens if this employee is rehired after 1 year, my understanding is that a new I-9 Form needs to be filled out. Am I correct? If you have already shredded the old documentation, then definitely.

If not, see the following from the I-9 Employer's Handbook:

When you rehire an employee, you must ensure that he or she
    is still authorized to work. You may do this by completing a
    new Form I-9 or you may reverify or update the original form
    by completing Section 3.
    If you rehire an employee who has previously completed a
    Form I-9, you may reverify on the employee’s original Form
    I-9 (or on a new Form I-9 if Section 3 of the original has
    already been used) if:
    1. You rehire the employee within three years of the initial
    date of hire; and
    2. The employee’s previous grant of work authorization has
    expired, but he or she is currently eligible to work on a
    different basis or under a new grant of work authorization
    than when the original Form I-9 was completed.
    To reverify, you must:
    1. Record the date of rehire;
    2. Record the document title, number and expiration date (if
    any) of any document(s) presented;
    3. Sign and date Section 3; and
    4. If you are reverifying on a new Form I-9, write the
    employee’s name in Section 1.
    If you rehire an employee who has previously completed a
    Form I-9, you may update on the employee’s original Form I-
    9 or on a new Form I-9 if:
    1. You rehire the employee within three years of the initial
    date of hire; and
    2. The employee is still eligible to work on the same basis as
    when the original Form I-9 was completed.
    To update, you must:
    1. Record the date of rehire;
    2. Sign and date Section 3; and
    3. If you are updating on a new Form I-9, write the
    employee’s name in Section 1.
    Employers always have the option of completing Sections 1
    and 2 of a new Form I-9 instead of completing Section 3 when
    rehiring employees.

Also if this employee is hired back within 1 year period, we'll be using the existing I-9 record on file by filling out section 3-Updating and Reverification. Shouldn’t the updated I-9 be filed with 2009 records?  Yes, I would file it as if the rehire date were the original hire date..I've never read anything that states the original hire date still stands in the time calculation, but I could be wrong.

Thanks

[/quote]

see my answers in italics....

• I always require a new I-9.  Digging up the old I-9 is a pain because they are stored by date of destruction rather than alphabetically.