Four ten hour days

We are considering a four day ten hour work schedule.  We would have one group of employees work Monday through Thursday and another work Tuesday through Friday.  The folling week they would switch schedules.  Each department would have coverage Monday through Friday.  We are concerned about our employees who travel a distence now that the gas prices are ever increasing.  Would anyone that is using, or is cosidering using,  this schedule or something similar, please let me know what you think.  Thanks,  cathy.

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • One thing to consider is how you would handle holidays that fall on Monday or Friday. Also consider how you would handle if an employee wanted to change which week they work M-Th or T-F. I think it's a great idea to help ease the effects of the high gas prices for your employees. You just want to make sure you think of all scenarios that could take place. I am sure there are others on this forum who can submit other considerations.
  • If you can do it, I would avoid the switching back and forth of weeks.  People should have a set schedule if possible to make it easier administratively and to negate the possibility of , "I got confused about which week this was".
  • Cathy, if I may interject one more comment?  My experience with going to a 10/4 workweek is that employee's experience burnout after 8 hours and you may not get as much productivity in those last 2 hours.  It depends on how you're able to quantify their output.  Our company is very decentralized and it works in some areas (machine shops & warehouses), but it didn't work well in the administrative offices.

Benita

• I worked 4/10 as a driver a long time ago.  I hated it.  Some people liked it.  A lot depends on if your employees would rather sacrifice four entire days in order to get one more full day back in return.  I also recall that many people thought they'd like it but then they didn't, so an initial survey of yoru work force may well be misleading.  Rotating may or may not work depending on your workforce and their needs.  How hard would it be to staff if you did not?  Also, consider work process interdependence.  You will want to make sure that when people are dependent or interdepdenent on the output of others that the schedule has them working together.
  • I worked for a company that had a similar policy, but with one twist. Working 4 ten hour days was strictly optional. Our HR guru realized that it works out for some, and drives others crazy. Therefore, if the employee's manager approved and their productivity did not suffer (there was a standard for this, but I can't remember it off the top of my head) too greatly, then life was good for everyone. I know that nurses in hospitals (not speaking for every nurse in every hospital) typically have the 4 day 10 hour schedule and I'm still alive so it can't be too bad.
  • One more thing to consider.  We have begun doing this in a few departments.  It was done as a way to help those with long commutes reduce their gas bill.  However, it seems to be toughest on them.  I have heard them say that around the third or fourth day, the drive home after a 10 hour day is unberable.  For some who live an hour to an hour and a half away, a 12 or 13 hour day, 4 days in a row is just too much.