I-9 notification to new hires

I'm looking for a sample memo to new hires concerning incomplete Form I-9 and the 3 day period before termination.  Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • All new hires complete their I9 with me during their orientation. Therefore, incomplete information is never an issue. The 3 day period before termination is addressed in their offer letter. Following is an example of verbiage in our offer letters:

In order to remain in compliance with the Immigration Act of 1986, please bring documents to establish your identity and authorization to work in the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />United States. You must provide two (2) forms of identification – typically your driver’s license, social security card or birth certificate. Failure to provide the required documentation within 3 days of employment will result in us having to rescind the employment offer.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /> 

• We, too, have new hires fill out their I-9 paperwork during orientation.  We email them a copy of the acceptable forms of ID sheet so they can bring it with them on their first day.  We have not had a single issue with doing it that way.
  • Here, when we make a job offer, the back of the offer letter is a copy of the A/B/C lists and we discuss what they want to bring on the list and highlight it for them there.  If they don't have that or other allowable alternates when they show up, they don't start.  The I-9 is filled out and checked first day and we've never had trouble getting information issues straightened out same day.  We did at one time allow people three days to get their docs straight but it made for a lot of work and some people cannot, for whatever reason, get their stuff together in time.  Not allowing people to start without acceptable documents has solved a lot of hassles for us.

• [quote user="vdavidson"]

All new hires complete their I9 with me during their orientation. Therefore, incomplete information is never an issue. The 3 day period before termination is addressed in their offer letter. Following is an example of verbiage in our offer letters:

In order to remain in compliance with the Immigration Act of 1986, please bring documents to establish your identity and authorization to work in the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />United States. You must provide two (2) forms of identification – typically your driver’s license, social security card or birth certificate. Failure to provide the required documentation within 3 days of employment will result in us having to rescind the employment offer.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /> [/quote]

I would steer clear of requesting anything in particular.  They don't need to bring in 2 forms of ID. They could just bring in a passport and suffice the requirements.  I know that USCIS has been cracking down on this for a while, making sure that employers aren't requiring more than is required by the law.