Expense reimbursement time frame

My company's employees all work from home offices throughout the US.  CA Labor Code 2802 requires employees be reimbursed for all expenses they incur "in direct consequence of the discharge of duties."  However, I have not seen any guidance for whether or not there can be a time limit placed for submittal of expenses.  Our accountant would like to request that employees submit expenses within a three month period after which the expense was incurred and then deny the reimbursement for late requests.  Does anyone know of any prohibitions against doing this?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I don't think that would be something you could get away with.  What I think you need to do is have a reimbursement policy and hold people accountable for following it.  Our expense reports are due the first day of the month following the expense.  If they miss that date we give them to the next month, if it's not in we follow our discipline policy.  It is in thier job description to get reports in on time, for the mosty part we treat an expense report the same as any other monthly report.
  • We have a similar system. We state that all expenses must be filed within 30 days of the expense.  If they are not, we discipline the employee accordingly and make a note in their file.  It is taken into account during their performance review, bonus, and increase time.  It is amazing how people will do things properly when it affects their paycheck!
  • I would agree with the other posters.  Since you are in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Cali, I would be sure to have a clear policy on your T&E and also have signed agreements from all eligible EE.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />