Job Descriptions

I haven't found any legal requirement that a company must have job descriptions, but there are some requirements (ADA, BFOQ) if they choose to have job descriptions.  My boss is concerned because we now house our job descriptions electronically, and they are not signed by the reporting manager (keep in mind some positions, i.e., secretary/clerk) have a number of different reporting entities.  Does anyone know of any legal reason why descriptions cannot be prepared and approved by HR?  Thanks!! 

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • No reason what-so-ever.

In every company at which I have worked (3 of which are major multi-national media conglomerates), the job descriptions were prepared by and stored with HR.

• I agree.  I will add that most of the job descriptions that have been written at my company involve the manager (or person doing the job) and HR.  Involving multiple people makes sure that what the person in that job actually does everyday is reflected in the job description.  I have seen too many times when a job description is written for a position and you go show it to the person in that job, they say they aren't doing half of what is listed.  It needs to be an accurate reflection of the position.
  • I agree the best practice for compiling job descriptions falls between the manager of the position and HR.  Generally we also have employees/applicants read over the JD so they understand the position at the time of hire and then later if changes are made.

I will say when I took this position in 2005, we had none.  One of my projects was to make sure there was one for each current position and one for whatever position(s) we are currently hiring.  By creating them, it helped flesh out the job qualifications, responsibilities, etc.  And I love being able to place the JD in front of an applicant, ask them to read through it and acknowledge that they can perform the duties as listed.  Then later if they can not, we have a point in which they told us they could to reference back to if needed.

Honestly, my managers don't like doing JDs and are more than happy to let me handle them.  I just ask that they review them when needed.

• Job descriptions are typically under the control of HR now because of ADA.  Best practice is to do a job analysis and to involve incumbents and supervisors.  Supervisors will generally tell you what people are supposed to be doing and incumbents often will tell you what actually gets done.

OP is correct in that there is no law requiring job descriptions but, if you choose to have any, ADA applies to what must be in them and how they must be worded.

• TXHR is right on the mark with the response.  I highly recommend the consistent use of job descriptions, but HR must have process oversight to preserve the integrity of the program and ADA compliance.  It is also prudent to require the development of a job description for any NEW position PRIOR to beginning recruiting or hiring efforts.  A job description aids management in determining the appropriate salary range for the new position, among other planning protocols.