Help with wording of I-9 Audit to employee

I have conducted an I-9 audit and I noticed that none of the employees that changed their name have been updated, so I was wondering how should I express this in wording the staff, I was thinking of just emailing the manager and the employee but I have no idea how should I word it...Please help

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Dear Fellow employees:

If your marital status changes whereas you change your name or if your name changes for any other reason, please reach out to your Human Resources Department. It is vitual that we keep our documentation up to date and current in regards to various laws.

Thank you for your time and help in this matter.

HR

• On the I-9 form, it was my understanding they only have to update the name if they have to reverify because of an expired work authorization document. Otherwise, I don't think you have to do anything on the I-9. There are lots of other things such as benefits and withholding taxes that require current name though.
  • [quote user="BarbieW"]On the I-9 form, it was my understanding they only have to update the name if they have to reverify because of an expired work authorization document. Otherwise, I don't think you have to do anything on the I-9. There are lots of other things such as benefits and withholding taxes that require current name though.[/quote]

http://www.uscis.gov/files/nativedocuments/m-274.pdf

Barbie's right in that the handbook makes several references to "updating or reverifying" but only specifies when an update or reverification actually has to occurr on a few occasions, and name changes are only brought up as part of the reverification process in the case of an expired work authorization.

We do copy the card and update the I-9 when an employee provides us with a new social security card indicating the name change so that they can get their checks in their new name and so that the I-9 can be appropriately modified and filed under the name that will be current in our payroll and HRIS systems.

• Well we too also copy the social for payroll I am just wondering if from now on we should update the I-9 as well since if you look at our current I-9 it will look like we have no record of the employee since their name has changed?

• [quote user="hrmommy"]

Well we too also copy the social for payroll I am just wondering if from now on we should update the I-9 as well since if you look at our current I-9 it will look like we have no record of the employee since their name has changed?

[/quote]

I am saying, specifically, that when someone supplies us with a new social security card with their new name, we update the I-9 and use a copy of their social security card.  One reason we do that, specifically, is so that all our documents and records (paper and electronic) will track to the same name.