Email Signatures - employee not wanting to disclose full name

Recently my company implemented a uniform email signature for all employees to have on their outgoing emails.  It includes their first and last name, company contact info, and a disclaimer statement.  I have one employee who does not want her full name disclosed on her emails and is insisting that we allow her to use her first name and last name initials.  For example:  the name would be Suzie Montoya-Camanger and she would like it to read Suziemc, not even Suzie M.C.  I personally think that if you are going to have your initials in a signature that it should be properly formatted, otherwise it looks unprofessional. 

Please share any thoughts that you might have regarding my situation.  Thanks.

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Couple of questions for you - What position is she in?  Is email needed to do her job?  If so, is she just sending out emails internally within the organization or externally to customers/vendors?

• Does that also apply to her email address?  When she sends email does it not say Suzie Montoya Camanger < smontoya@company.com >?

If so, her name is already out there everytime she sends an email.  I don't think that something that is standard business practice should be up for negotiation the way that some other voluntary things may be. Unless she is part of the witness protection program or is wanted for a crime somewhere and is afraid of being tracked down, this seems like a very strange request.

• She works in our Pension Department and email is needed for her position.  She sends emails to other professionals that my company works with and occasionally to our clients.
  • I actually thought of the same thing after I made the post, because her email is scamanger@company.com.  I gave her the option to put her first name and the second part of her last name so that her full name would not be disclosed.

I agree with your response that this is a standard business practice and should not be up for negotiation.

Thank you for your feedback! 

• Unless she could provide a very good explanation, I would not allow something that is an SBP/SOP to be negotiated.  I would allow her to go by one last name or the other.

I too would be wondering who she is hiding from.  If there were extenuating circumstances, there is a possibility we would let her use "smith" or "jones".  But then the other people in the company would need to know her as that too.....otherwise it would leak somewhere.

• I agree.  This seems a bit silly.  Unless she can put forward a compelling argument, follow the policy.